Fish Farm trouble in BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
By-the-way: still awaiting your peer-review research that states that FFs DON'T affect wild salmon

Ya - you are right, Dave. Seems w Bones and his questions - we are reposting quite a bit of stuff...
You asked a question I reposted an answer and now your...... Complaining cuz I answered.

Witnessed some garage being blown across the road from a construction site..... We should shut them down,.....

WCB catches wind of that, pardon the pun and they would certainly be shut down and exhaustive investigations and hefty fines would be levied until everything was brought up to snuff.

Hmmm not sure what safety violations would occur from garbage, you would think its a bylaw issue.... But it wont shut down the industry, like so many people are trying everything in there power to do to fish farms. Right? It a minor offence no?

The FF industry doesn't need to shut down...:):rolleyes: It needs to move out of the ocean and onto land (out of the wild salmon migration routes.) if we want to stop the eradication of our wild salmon.

Sounds all well and good to move fish farms to land; only problem is the cost to raise the fish is not economically viable, yet. Kuterra is a good example of a business the public is not ready for. How many people on this site, other than me, tried the product?
Thought so.
But even so, if all BC salmon farms were put on dry land tomorrow, only a naive fool would believe this would change the plight of wild salmon in BC.

Sounds all well and good to move fish farms to land; only problem is the cost to raise the fish is not economically viable, yet. Kuterra is a good example of a business the public is not ready for. How many people on this site, other than me, tried the product?
Thought so.
But even so, if all BC salmon farms were put on dry land tomorrow, only a naive fool would believe this would change the plight of wild salmon in BC.

You should listen to this podcast AA released in a different thread...

Making a case for land based aquaculture
The Broadcast
November 21, 2017
http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1101744707642

Oh ok, have you seen the migration routes? Have you looked at the acoustic results for which path out going smolts take? Studies show smolts not really traveling through the natural sea lice phenomenon that happens in the Broughton. They seem to favor the Johnson straight. Thus avoiding sea lice.

Steelhead survival shows discovery channel at 97.7% survival. While the sutil channel only shows 46.2%. Also note: Steelhead travel twice as fast through the discovery islands

Thought so.
Dave have you compared or looked at the environmental impacts that will occur to land based farms? There so many more than in water. For example hydro, clearing land, huge amount of poly, etc.

The only way land based farms can make money is when you remove commercial fishing and ranching thus allowing the salmon industry control price. Similar to chicken farming.

Naive fool? Must be a lot of them out there... More and more each day.
Sorry I have to disagree with you on this comment. I believe it would help. Since the introduction of fish farms our wild salmon have steadily declined. This has happened to the wild salmon populations everywhere in the world that FF's setup. It has been shown through science that these fish farms are great breeding grounds for disease and parasites. And they are dumping their wastes laden with pesticides, bacteria, viruses, directly into the waters that our wild fish need to survive. If we keep them (FF's) in the ocean and our runs basically disappear in the next 30 years or so, we won't know if it would have helped will we? Pretty big gamble. I guess you and the people who are making money from the fish farm industry are willing to make that gamble but I think the majority of the public the governments are paid to serve don't think along those lines.

Last edited:
copepidites.jpg Groot andCooke 1987 fig 4.jpg Groot andCooke 1987 fig 3.jpg Groot andCooke 1987 fig 5.jpg
Oh ok, have you seen the migration routes? Have you looked at the acoustic results for which path out going smolts take? Studies show smolts not really traveling through the natural sea lice phenomenon that happens in the Broughton. They seem to favor the Johnson straight. Thus avoiding sea lice.

Steelhead survival shows discovery channel at 97.7% survival. While the sutil channel only shows 46.2%. Also note: Steelhead travel twice as fast through the discovery islands
INCORRECT! Show us the data of your assertions, bones. maybe you can demonstrate how smolts "AVOID SEA LICE"

Last edited:
Oh ok..... Could you wait for the scientists to ok the data and give them time for peer review? We all know if its not stamped it crap.... right? If you want you could read the 2016 field review from the salish sea project. If your google is broken I could post it for you.
Side note: I went down to the local river and it was chalked full of chum salmon. If fish farms are killing wild salmon then why is it the river is full of them??? Can your science papers explain this?

A
Hmmm not sure what safety violations would occur from garbage, you would think its a bylaw issue.... But it wont shut down the industry, like so many people are trying everything in there power to do to fish farms. Right? It a minor offence no?

Actually, it’s pretty serious. That’s a lot of garbage. And I’m sure you agree that it looks pretty bad that they didn’t feel the need to report it. Large fines And cost of cleanup should be top priority in this case. Then, look at loss of license for another infraction. It’s the total lack of culpability that needs to be addressed here.

Oh ok..... Could you wait for the scientists to ok the data and give them time for peer review? We all know if its not stamped it crap.... right? If you want you could read the 2016 field review from the salish sea project. If your google is broken I could post it for you.
Side note: I went down to the local river and it was chalked full of chum salmon. If fish farms are killing wild salmon then why is it the river is full of them??? Can your science papers explain this?

lol,

Seems to be the standard response when he's confronted with conflicting data, eh bigdoeh? he seems to be desperately looking & hoping for the "hail mary" pass from some unnamed and unpublished author whose studies just might magically undue all those years, and hundreds of reports from thousands of researchers who confirm that open net-cage FF technology is actually not ok. My turn: LOL!

PS - the "LOL" letters as typed works like garlic to vampires - if you want to discount, discredit and invalidate any data, science or common sense that is inconvenient - these letters as typed will save you and your argument....or at least your dignity.

Last edited:
Seems to be the standard response when he's confronted with conflicting data, eh bigdoeh? Looking for the "hail mary" pass from some unnamed and unpublished author whose studies just might undue all those years, and hundreds of reports from thousands of researchers that FFs are actually ok. My turn: LOL!

I keep envisioning a 5 year old behind a keyboard... oops, did I say that... ? I apologize sincerely but honestly can't help what I envision sometimes when I see some of the posts. I really don't think you're helping your (or the FF industry) cause bones. jmo...
But carry on... at least it's entertaining.. kinda.. And there is some good science coming out from it... At least from one side. ;)

The only way land based farms can make money is when you remove commercial fishing and ranching thus allowing the salmon industry control price.
Or... (enter dramatic music) get rid of the open net-cage technology and make CC mandatory.

Oh ok..... Could you wait for the scientists to ok the data and give them time for peer review?
uhhhh... bones - how long have the farms been in the water? 30ish years or so? Doesn't take 30 years to publish. Didn't take the several hundreds of peer-review teams to publish on the evidence that open net-cage FF impact wild stocks. If there was ANY single example of the open net-cage technology NOT impacting wild stocks - we'd of heard by now. The PR firms for the industry would be singing praise from far and wide.

Side note: I went outside today and it was raining. Could you tell me why it is not raining in Cuba? can your science papers explain this?

Obviously scale, timing and following the salmon from marine entrance to return is the way to understand oceanic influences.

Obviously I don't know what (unknown and unnamed) stream you are referring to (nor should I be expected to) - nor what is the migratory route of your juveniles - nor if any FFs are along that route - what it looked like when that cohort was migrating out - what other impacts affected that cohort, etc. etc. I guess that should be the responsibility of FFs to do those studies - along w an environmental assessment - to determine these factors - right?

Last edited:
You asked a question I reposted an answer and now your...... Complaining cuz I answered.

Witnessed some garage being blown across the road from a construction site..... We should shut them down,.....

yes , my good friend is a safety officer and a messy site or one that has garbage/debris strewn about gets shut down until compliance is met.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back