Fish box

Matty4x4

is anyone familiar with the stringer placement in a 17 foot hourston? I would like to build a fish box into the floor but I'm unsure of how many stringers it has and where the are.

When your current boat stops doing the things you want it to do, time to get another boat.
This is a mod that could render your boat useless to a new buyer. On a boat this small it is highly possible the deck is an important part of the structure; meaning it provides strength & must remain unmodified to do so.

If your worried about not knowing where the stringers are drill a 6" hole in the center of the floor as far back as you want the fish locker. You will be able to see where the stringers are and if you decide you don't want to do it just put in a inspection plate to cover the hole. At the least you can see how it looks under there.

In the US boats are required to have flotation foam - this is usually between the deck & hull.

BTW, just how much space for a fish box are you expecting on a 17ft boat? Maybe a couple of small Salmon?

In the US boats are required to have flotation foam - this is usually between the deck & hull.

BTW, just how much space for a fish box are you expecting on a 17ft boat? Maybe a couple of small Salmon?
Not to mention you have to unload the fish, clean it out. Go for a bag easy peasy.

Just out of curiosity, you see lots of eastern boats with fish boxes, mostly filled with water for bass and walleye tournaments, those fish are alive, get weighed and are released. What is the purpose of a fish box for bonked fish? They don't keep ice cold compared to a bag and how do you get the blood and slime out of them afterwards? Do they have drainage plugs that go into the bilge?

The comment saying a stringer will be in the middle is not accurate. I have a 17.2 Hourston Sportsman 1992. It has fishbox in the centre. I wanted to inspect underneath it so I installed an inspection cover in the fishbox. On the advice of Bill Hourston himself, I just called the shop in North an and he talked me through it. Also just to be sure I drilled a 1/8" hole where it was going to be, bent a coat hanger in an L about 4 inch radius to make sure no stringers would be in the way. Just insert hanger turn 90 degrees and rotate 360 degrees to see if it hits anything. Shoot me any questions if you have any. Oh and the comment about what you'd fit in there "only 2 small salmon"? I had 2 tyees in mine when fishing nitinat with room for more, 17' boat has lots of room for a fish box. Also my fish box has a hole aft with a pipe that runs aft to bilge well. Great feature. Added a picture of when I first got the boat and added inspection port in fish locker, it is much cleaner now!

Attachments

• 20160714_143315_HDR.jpg
    20160714_143315_HDR.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 99
I'm pretty sure the stringers in your boat den cope will be a bit different than the older hourston your design came out in 91 I'm thinking the older 17s had a stringer right down the middle great idea putting the access hatch in I did the same on my eagle nice to see what's in your hull

I'm pretty sure the stringers in your boat den cope will be a bit different than the older hourston your design came out in 91 I'm thinking the older 17s had a stringer right down the middle great idea putting the access hatch in I did the same on my eagle nice to see what's in your hull
Yes you are right, design is different. Mine also has a 25" transom where a lot of the older ones are 20".

I put a fish box in a 17.5 Campion, which had 2 stringers at 1/3 and 2/3 of boat width. Box was 55x12" and a removable stainless steel tub. Room for lots of fish and easy to clean.

Helped a friend build something similar in a 17 DE and stringer arrangement was similar. Bet 17' Hourston is the same. You will love this modification!

The Arimas have a large fish box for their size. Here is a pic from a good morning in Alberni on my old 16' Arima. Nice to have a box if its easy and accessible.

Attachments

• IMG_0140.JPG
    IMG_0140.JPG
    319.7 KB · Views: 64
Back