First Marlin

spring fever

Went out yesterday with 2 other guys and a Mexican guide and deckhand on a Super Panga. We were after Dorado and went 40 miles south of Los Barriles, Baja Sur til we hit blue water. Saw lots of dolphin, caught 3 bonita to 15 lbs for bait for Dorado. Minding our own business and we spot a striped marlin fining-so out goes live bait-he didn't seem to be too interested but Manuel moved the boat around and what a hook -up-My first-1hr 10 min because it was on a light reel and rod-Shimano tdl 15 with 50 braid. He went around 130/140 lbs. Came in, in good shape so released him. Picked up a few Dorado around some shark bouys and I will admit to dozing-woke with a start-thought we had hit a log The reel was screaming-nobody saw him hit-reminded me of the back of SpringFever when the rods pop. Another 1 hr plus fight-the crew wanted this one for their families so this is the one in the picture. About to pack-up when we got a double-only one stayed on-probably the biggest of all around 150- released unharmed-not a normal day this early in the year-lucky to hook 1 but to hook-up and boat 3 is considered special. If any interest will have boat photo's in a day or so.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 243
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 222
Right on!!!! I have to get down there fishing. Nice fish and congrats on the first Marlin. More boat pic's would be really cool to see especially bend rod shots and big smiles:).

Sounds like Manuel and the super panga were a good choice.
Marlin pepperoni?

Congrats. I'm in Cabo right now waiting for a break in the winds to get out there but content with the 27c weather in the meantime.

Congrats...nothing compares to catching stripers out of a panga, pretty cool stuff!
Mind you, fishing with captain Josh on one of his battlewagons would be quite a stellar way to lay the smack down on those fish for sure!
Any size to your dorado's? great eating fish for sure.

cheers,

Getbent

Congrats looks like an amazing time and what a incredible catch...... Maybe after the 2012 Season I will get a chance to try as it's on my bucket list.

Hope you take the time to stop by the lodge and see Holmes and I this season.....

Cheers Kevin

I hope to bring SpringFevers flying circus and Gong show your way this summer Kev, want to try Holme's ribs as well. All packed ready for the long drive home tomorrow!!

Congrats sf,i hope you took a slab of the Marlin to cook up - muy sabroso!!!

Actually a local resturant in Los Barriles is cooking Dorado and Marlin for a group of us tonight.- Have to go easy on the Margarita's as I start the long trek home tomorrow at first light.

Back