Fire Destroys Northwest Marine plant (Seasport, Osprey, Skagit Orca, C-Dory)

TenMile

For those of you with a Seasport, Osprey, C-Dory, Skagit Orca or TomCat -- looks like the factory was destroyed earlier in the week. Hopefully they are able to recover as these are some of the best boats in the PNW:

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2014/09/12/3852989/fire-destroys-ferndale-boat-makers.html

more news here: http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/forum/general-boating-topics/60076-bad-news-for-c-dory

Read more here: http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2014/09/12/3852989/fire-destroys-ferndale-boat-mak

Gotta wonder if any molds were damaged/destroyed (besides the ones they said were outside). That would probably be the worst case... Somewhat un-replaceable I would think. And they make good hulls that's really unfortunate. A Sea sport would be a dream boat!

On the Bayliner site, one of the users is friends with the owners. Mentioned that they are checking the molds -- sounds like they lost the one for the 28 -- and even the outside ones got very hot -- hopefully didn't warp.

That's really bad news, I stopped in for a plant tour in January on my way to the Seattle boat show. Great guys there, they really look after those of us that own Seasports. They are a quality builder and stand behind all their boat lines. Hopefully they bounce back!

I looked into purchasing a new Skagit Orca in June and was told delivery for a new XLC 24 foot Orca is 8 months, now it's probably years. I'm guessing that with none of these boats being made for the next few years the price of used ones will most likely go up.

Boy am I lucky I never sold the Orca we have back in June.

Doug,what's wrong with your old Orca;many would give one's eye - teeth for one...

I looked into purchasing a new Skagit Orca in June and was told delivery for a new XLC 24 foot Orca is 8 months, now it's probably years. I'm guessing that with none of these boats being made for the next few years the price of used ones will most likely go up.

Boy am I lucky I never sold the Orca we have back in June.

From what I have heard, I would be surprised if production is delayed for that long. The company had insurance, very few of the molds were damaged and they are scrambling to find a new place to build. I'm willing to bet they are back on their feet in a few months or less.

From what I have heard, I would be surprised if production is delayed for that long. The company had insurance, very few of the molds were damaged and they are scrambling to find a new place to build. I'm willing to bet they are back on their feet in a few months or less.
That's good to know-hate to see Orca's go-I love mine-I'm too old to go from a 24 to a 27 but doesn't mean I don't get 2 ft-itis from time to time. Fabulous hull!! LOL

I love my C-Dory Tomcat also. I'd definitely like to see these guys keep building. Once the Wright brothers took over the C-Dory brand, the build quality went up. Not that it was bad before, but it's excellent under these guys.

Back