Fire at sea

Watched an interview with one of the crew who was apparently first to fight the fire at the beginning using a huge 150 lb fire extinguisher. Sounds like it may have started in a generator. He talked about being down on his knees using the extinguisher with the fire all up over his head flashing across the ceiling as far as he could see and dropping down on him with a huge amount of heat and no fire suit etc. Initially it sounds like he was controlling it with the extinguisher but as soon as he took his finger off the trigger for a second, the fire would explode back up over his head until it really exploded up above him and was dropping down on him with flames and heat and at that point all he could do was stay low and get out of there.

I would say it took balls to stay in there fighting the fire under those circumstances when one would think the natural instinct would be to run or crawl out of there away from the flames. I think I would rather be getting shot at than having a lot of fire on the ceiling over my head and feeling the heat and flames dropping down on me without a fire suit and not knowing if they were going to reach me or trap me. Sound like he may have bought others a little time to put on fire fighting gear and get prepared to fight the fire by keeping it somewhat controlled initially.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fire started in a turbo alternator. Basically a generator powered by steam.

Putting a fire out on a ship in a dark smoky room on a ship has got to.be one of the scariest undertakings you will do. You actually use the fire to see where you are going.

Back