Federal government petition to end salmon farming in Canadian waters

Shuswap I was thinking your posts were finally starting to be a little more rational, then you come out with a statement like that.

Seriously, this is a fishing forum. I would be shocked if anyone on this forum would condemn the fish farming industry if they had made a $150,000 contribution towards stream reclamation, or any of the many other mitigation and enhancement efforts that desperately require funding.

The Devil himself could have made a contribution of that size to wild Salmon enhancement and I would shake the Devils hand and thank him if that were the case.

Obviously this is a very profitable industry if they have that kind of money to toss around to help improve their poor public image. With the money they are making perhaps the profits should be getting reinvested in closed containment systems in our Province, rather than just in Norway where most of these companies are from.

If that were the case there would be no need for this petition in the first place.

Well, you just reaffirmed what I had already thought.......

I found this tid-bit online (March 2016) and wondered if anyone on this forum posted about it and congratulated Marine Harvest for their continued support of the Campbell River Salmon Foundation. I mean you said that you would be shocked if anyone on this forum would condemn the fish farm industry if they made these sizable donations for salmon enhancement, but are you equally shocked that no one on this forum posted this story and thanked them considering that many mitigation and enhancement efforts desperately require funding as you stated? In my opinion, it seems like when there is a story that attempts to shame the industry there are many members here stepping forward to post it here, but when the industry donates money to these local initiatives no one here says boo about it.

http://www.marineharvest.ca/about/news-and-media/container2016/donation-to-salmon-foundation/

Here are all the other community organizations Marine Harvest supports. Are these mentioned in this forum - folks here shaking "the devil's hand" and thanking them? May do a forum search and find out and tell me how far off base I am.

http://www.marineharvest.ca/people/supporting-the-community/

I'll bite Shuswap. Yes - Marine Harvest is likely the best corporate citizen of the open net-cage aquaculture companies and - yes - should be praised and recognized for their community efforts. They are on one side of the spectrum of accountability to the public - with Cooke aquaculture likely the worst on the other end of that spectrum:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...the-hook-for-500k-for-pesticide-use-1.1317105
http://www.southcoasttoday.ca/conte...possible-pesticide-supplier-cooke-aquaculture
http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1335972-nova-scotia-to-cooke-aquaculture-pay-up-on-18m-loan
http://www.asf.ca/more-problems-for-cooke-aquaculture.html
http://southcoasttoday.ca/content/m...-do-not-buy-notice-farmed-salmon-loan-demands
http://wcel.org/resources/environme...dollars-subsidize-bc-unsustainable-fish-farms

Having said that - both Cooke, Marine Harvest - and others in the middle of that spectrum all use open net-cage technology - with no risk assessment and mitigation for diseases transferrable to wild stocks - nor open, public fish health reporting. All the fluffy news articles, sound bites, and photo ops developed by the PR firms and the communications machinery attached to the industry can't change that reality.

Last edited:
Well, you just reaffirmed what I had already thought.......

I found this tid-bit online (March 2016) and wondered if anyone on this forum posted about it and congratulated Marine Harvest for their continued support of the Campbell River Salmon Foundation. I mean you said that you would be shocked if anyone on this forum would condemn the fish farm industry if they made these sizable donations for salmon enhancement, but are you equally shocked that no one on this forum posted this story and thanked them considering that many mitigation and enhancement efforts desperately require funding as you stated? In my opinion, it seems like when there is a story that attempts to shame the industry there are many members here stepping forward to post it here, but when the industry donates money to these local initiatives no one here says boo about it.

http://www.marineharvest.ca/about/news-and-media/container2016/donation-to-salmon-foundation/

Here are all the other community organizations Marine Harvest supports. Are these mentioned in this forum - folks here shaking "the devil's hand" and thanking them? May do a forum search and find out and tell me how far off base I am.

http://www.marineharvest.ca/people/supporting-the-community/
Why Is DFO Taking Me To Court?

Last year I won a legal decision (thank you Ecojustice) prohibiting further transfer of farmed salmon carrying diseases into marine net-pens on the BC coast.

While common sense suggests putting diseased Atlantic farm salmon in the Pacific ocean is a bad idea, the Harper government and Marine Harvest appealed the decision.

We came to expect this kind action from Harper, but here's the shocker.

The Trudeau government is actually going through with this appeal! Is it in the interests of Canada to spend our tax dollars to assist the salmon farmers to put diseased fish in the ocean?

Furthermore, they are in such a rush that they can't wait for a Vancouver court date so have arranged for this to be heard in a court in Calgary May 26th!

The only sense I can make of this is perhaps the federal Liberal government has lost control of DFO, and the Harper - era bureaucrats are running the department. How is it possible Canada can join in an appeal with Marine Harvest to help them regain the right to put diseased Atlantic salmon into the Pacific?

Fisheries Minister Hunter Tootoo

Minister Hunter Tootoo is clearly dedicated to his Nunavut constituents, but there is something very wrong here. Would he go to court to assist companies seeking to put diseased fish in Rankin Inlet?

Furthermore, Minister of Justice, Jody Wilson-Raybould was given the mandate to review all the Harper lawsuits and appeals she inherited. Did she overlook this one, or is she actually in support of diseased Atlantic salmon going into the waters of her ancestral home? I am at a loss.

What can you do?

I am very grateful to Leadnow for creating a platform where multiple emails can be sent to both the Minister of Fisheries, Hunter Tootoo and the Minister of Justice, Jody Wilson-Raybould.

It is not enough to elect good governments, we have to walk beside them and make sure they hear from us at least as much as they hear from corporations, especially when they start drifting badly off course from their own mandates.

If you want to follow the progress of this bizarre situation, please check back here. Below you will find more detail on the case. And thank you to all who take the time to help with this.

I believe there is hope of working with this government to restore both wild salmon and our coastal economy and finally engage in an honourable and constructive government-to-government relationship with the First Nations.

Summary

The Canadian Federal Court Decision

The issue we put before the court was whether or not the aquaculture licences issued by the federal government of Canada to each salmon farm were consistent with the requirements of the Canada Fisheries Act.

Section 22 of the Fisheries Act stipulates that a licence cannot conflict with the Fisheries General Regulations.

The Federal Court of Canada found that the Minister of Fisheries had unlawfully given away the power of deciding whether diseased-farmed salmon smolts can be transferred from a hatchery into marine net pens, calling it . “...an unlawful delegation of ministerial discretion and ministerial responsibility for protection and conservation of the fisheries to Marine Harvest.”

Furthermore he ruled that the weight of evidence suggests that PRV causes HSMI, that it would be unreasonable to not to expect HSMI to appear in BC farmed salmon and that PRV infected farmed salmon may be a risk to wild salmon and farmed salmon and thus should not be put in the ocean pens.

The portions of the federal licence regarding use of diseased fish was struck down, the industry has 4 months to comply and if PRV-infected fish will continue to be used it will have to be approved by the Minister herself.

Below are quotes from the decision with the paragraph they are from in brackets [ ].

The Federal Court held that:

• DFO has issued licenses that allow the aquaculture industry to transfer fish with diseases or virus that may be harmful to the protection and conservation of fish. And these licenses violate the law and the precautionary principle

• DFO has been unlawfully allowing the aquaculture industry to transfer fish into net pens based on lower environmental standards than the law imposes

• DFO has been unlawfully regulating the aquaculture industry based on lower environmental standards than the law imposes
  • DFO is in violation of its regulatory duty/responsibility to only allow the aquaculture industry to transfer fish that do not have any disease, virus or pathogen that may be harmful to wild fish

• DFO has been allowing the aquaculture industry to transfer fish with diseases that have the potential to “severely impact” the fishery at an international level

• DFO has abdicated its legal responsibilities to protect and conserve wild fish by handing off decisions about transferring fish with decisions to the industry

• The law requires that “there be no transfers that may be harmful to the protection and conservation of fish” due to diseases or viruses

Piscine reovirus

The judge acknowledged that it is not generally up to the courts to rule on science, however, the argument that piscine reovirus is low risk and endemic to BC wild salmon was made by Marine Harvest and so he ruled on PRV.
    • “... the weight of the expert evidence before this Court supports the view that PRV is the viral precursor to HSMI.”

• The evidence before the Court demonstrates that there is a body of credible scientific study, conducted by respected scientists in different countries, establishing a causal relationship between PRV and HSMI.

• the evidence, suggests that the disease agent (PRV) may be harmful to the protection and conservation of fish, and therefore a “lack of full scientific certainty should not be used as a reason for postponing measures to prevent environmental degradation

• ... it would be an unreasonable inference to draw from the evidence that it will not appear in farmed Atlantic salmon on the Pacific coast.

The Minister of Fisheries
      • What the Minister cannot do is make unsupported statements of science

• The Minister is not, based on the evidence, erring on the side of caution

• The current licenses issued to Marine Harvest and the aquaculture industry do not clearly require the industry to use objective, prescribed scientific measures in assessing disease – indeed the Court suggests that perhaps “all that is required is a quick glance in the tank to assess whether the fish are showing signs of disease”.

• The current aquaculture licenses unlawfully allow the industry to focus on the health of the farmed fish stock, rather than the health of fisheries resources generally
The two reasons why Licence Condition 3.1(b)(ii) is unlawful

1. Section 56(b) stipulates that no transfer may take place if they have “any disease or disease agent” that may be harmful to the transfer of fish.

2. The licence condition, in contrast, allows transfers unless the fish show signs of clinical disease requiring treatment

3. Section 56(b), anticipates testing for latent disease agents.

4. The licence relieves Marine Harvest from this obligation imposed by law

The Fisheries Act states no transfer of fish with a disease/agent that may be harmful. The licence stated no transfer of fish showing clinical disease. But HSMI lag time is 5-9 months. The licence would thus allow for transfer of a disease agent that does not show clinical sign at time of transfer. [63, 64] The amount of donations which are appreciated by the various recipiants pales in comparison to the cost to taxpayers of the inexcusable waste of our tax dollars in these court cases which also could be better spent to help these very same causes.

Terrin, thank you for posting such a detailed synopsis of the current state of our federal government's efforts (or total lack there of) to protect our environment. Unfortunately, a new pretty face on the scene federally hasn't translated into real change in policies when it comes to environmental protection. As I've said many times in my posts, it's great that they are talking like they are going to be different than the Conservatives, but when will substantive changes actually occur?..

Shuswap, I kind of had a feeling that you would dig up any information regarding past contributions to Salmon enhancement by the aquaculture industry if there were any.

As I said, I would be more than happy to laude them if that were the case. I am glad to hear that some of these companies do give back to the local community. I applaud any, and all corporations, that return their profits to the place where they do business. It is nice to hear of some positive contributions from the aquaculture industry, and I would certainly thank them for trying in some way to help our troubled local stocks.

Shuswap, I kind of had a feeling that you would dig up any information regarding past contributions to Salmon enhancement by the aquaculture industry if there were any.

As I said, I would be more than happy to laude them if that were the case. I am glad to hear that some of these companies do give back to the local community. I applaud any, and all corporations, that return their profits to the place where they do business. It is nice to hear of some positive contributions from the aquaculture industry, and I would certainly thank them for trying in some way to help our troubled local stocks.

Well, you thought correctly...lol. Hey, you can still disagree with something or what someone does, but also agree with what they give back to the community. That's all I was trying to point out here.

Last year I won a legal decision (thank you Ecojustice) prohibiting further transfer of farmed salmon carrying diseases into marine net-pens on the BC coast.

While common sense suggests putting diseased Atlantic farm salmon in the Pacific ocean is a bad idea, the Harper government and Marine Harvest appealed the decision.

We came to expect this kind action from Harper, but here's the shocker.

The Trudeau government is actually going through with this appeal! Is it in the interests of Canada to spend our tax dollars to assist the salmon farmers to put diseased fish in the ocean?

Furthermore, they are in such a rush that they can't wait for a Vancouver court date so have arranged for this to be heard in a court in Calgary May 26th!

The only sense I can make of this is perhaps the federal Liberal government has lost control of DFO, and the Harper - era bureaucrats are running the department. How is it possible Canada can join in an appeal with Marine Harvest to help them regain the right to put diseased Atlantic salmon into the Pacific?

Earlier in this thread I had addressed Ms Morton on this and even had questions for her. Since then she has not responded back (which is why my interest in this thread as floundered). While I appreciate you taking the time to bring this reasoning of Ms Morton and her criticism of the Minister to my attention it basically takes us back to where we started when Ms Morton first posted about this petition and does nothing to address my concerns or questions earlier on.

I am one of the last people on this forum to fully support the open-net pen farmed salmon industry in BC but I will say with certainty that the industry does provide many community groups (enhancement, streamkeepers) with all sorts of older equipment that is of great need to these groups. Things like tanks, net pens, docks, ladders, pumps, etc, etc are all provided from the fish farm industry to these groups on a fairly regular basis, often at a substantially discounted price and sometimes donated free of charge. Could they be doing more to ensure the safety of our wild salmon stocks? hell yes! but they have been doing a decent job of donating items to communities across BC (the island especially) to help with enhancement efforts.

lets keep this thread active. please sign if you haven't already and please have your friends sign.

The industry shills have gone quiet but I do recall a few stating they would change their position if presented with scientific evidence. Well lets here it from you. It's time to move all salmon farms out of the Ocean and onto land so there is no risk of disease transfer.

If you are meaning me, you're correct - I did say I would recant my position re salmon farming here on the West coast if I saw a reason to do so, but so far there is nothing to change my mind and I will wait until real scientists like Miller-Saunders finish their research. If I am shown wrong I will say so. For now though Morton's opinions are just that ...

I also asked in another post who here, other than me, has purchased land based, closed containment salmon such as Kutera ... no one responded.
So one more time - if this is what you want, are you supporting this cc industry?

Agreed, Dave - that if one had to buy farmed salmon because either wild salmon wasn't available or someone couldn't catch enough of their own - then buying CC salmon makes the most sense. I heard those types of people exist. The only time that would work for me - would be sushi - and we already had that conversation. I will check every sushi place I eat and let them know about the Kutera option...

another brilliant decision from the department assigned to protect our wild salmon populations... what are left of them.

Well I guess that pretty much removes what little doubt I had remaining for me. I was willing to give the Liberals an opportunity to prove they where not just giving lip service to environmental protection. This is just more proof they're not any different than the conservatives. Business first, environmental concerns last. Same old, same old. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. That song may be old, but it still rings true today.

Back