Favourite Kitchen Knife

dradons

20211018_210020.jpg

This is a Tojiro DP Utility knife I received from some good friends as a gift a few years ago. Has turned to be by far the most used knife in my kitchen. I use it for pretty much everything except butchering big meat.

This knife is about 6 inches, light but with enough backbone to handle most things. Can slice tomatoes, chop veg, slice tuna etc.

Hope to keep this guy for a long time.

Anybody try one of these ?
71JMKAki2FL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Ive had em all basically from Wurstuf , henkels premier,frost, ICL,Victornox the one that was given to me in the house is the ones from homehardware some japanese name cant think of it but it holds a nice edge. was given the one with a block 3 piece set.
now as for the meat shop just buy the cheap ones from amazon when they come on sale from 30 bucks to 18.99 white handled ones as I go thru a boning/butcher knife every 2 years as im always sharpening them. so no point in buying expensive ones

When I was in chefs training years (when I thought that was going to be my career) ago the students has to buy a henkels pro kitchen chef knife and pairing knife as part of program. Over 30 years later those two knives I still have and use. I can't say that about most of other knives I used. Very well made.

When I was in chefs training years (when I thought that was going to be my career) ago the students has to buy a henkels pro kitchen chef knife and pairing knife as part of program. Over 30 years later those two knives I still have and use. I can't say that about most of other knives I used. Very well made.
I bet those were made in Germany. Most Henkels I see these days are either made in India or China.

But do you know how to cook :) :)

The knife I have been the most intrigued with recently and use a lot is the new technology white ceramic knives. They are almost unbelievably sharp and the cut is amazingly thin. I understand one of the reasons for the development of the technology was for eye surgery. In my experience, It will cut an over ripe tomato into thinner slices than any other knife. Their hardness factor is also off the chart, not quite diamond hard but close enough that I have never felt it was loosing sharpness after over a year of constant every day use. So far they seem like for kitchen use they will hold that super sharp edge forever and have never thought I would have to figure out how to sharpen one. The two I use the most were also very reasonably priced at only 4 dollars each. So if one were to ever start to lose its edge you could just buy a new one.

There are some downsides however: So far they don't seem to be available in longer than a paring knife size with a 4 inch blade, at least in local stores. They are like working with a scalpel so be very careful with them if you don't want to be missing bits of your fingers. I suspect one of the reasons I have not found one longer in local stores is that apparently you can snap the thin blade if you put a lot of sideways force on it and likely the longer it is, the more likely that could happen. You cut with them not hack with them and they are not for hacking through hard bone etc. You also do not want to cut with them on a hard surface and especially on a ceramic plate or glass, as you could chip the blade. Use with a wood or plastic cutting board is just fine and I have never broken or chipped one. If you want to cut up carrots, tomatoes, cucumber etc. and a steak into stir-fry slices they are amazing.

If I can find some with longer blades I would buy them to try. The first time I used one it was a revelation. Bet they would do a good job making cut plug herring. Checked amazon canada and you can get a 5, 6 and 7 inch size now and an 8 inch bread knife.

https://www.amazon.ca/Vos-Ceramic-Covers-Handle-Kitchen/dp/B09TRJ47DG/ref=sxin_15_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa?content-id=amzn1.sym.67df2caa-85de-4b75-82fc-83c9436f6fd1%3Aamzn1.sym.67df2caa-85de-4b75-82fc-83c9436f6fd1&crid=2EP3T5WCPLNZL&cv_ct_cx=ceramic%2Bknife%2Bset&keywords=ceramic%2Bknife%2Bset&pd_rd_i=B09TRJ47DG&pd_rd_r=1bc1e30c-be43-43fd-b850-b66d5b7fbc64&pd_rd_w=zC9pp&pd_rd_wg=HsMaY&pf_rd_p=67df2caa-85de-4b75-82fc-83c9436f6fd1&pf_rd_r=TG2TFRYYMTFZBQYWTD1V&qid=1683937271&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sprefix=ceramic%2Bknife%2Caps%2C183&sr=1-1-acb80629-ce74-4cc5-9423-11e8801573fb-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzRFdXS1BUMUYzUjlIJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjk0MDE2MjhKQTc3T0hCNUVOMyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODg4NzIxQVZFU08yNVVMVFhTJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3Bfc2VhcmNoX3RoZW1hdGljJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

Last edited:
I bet those were made in Germany. Most Henkels I see these days are either made in India or China.
Yup, various grades of Henkels at least three I know of. I think the Henkel Zwilling is the top grade.

Yup, various grades of Henkels at least three I know of. I think the Henkel Zwilling is the top grade.
There is also the newer Henkels that are made with folded steel. They come in both the double Henkels and the single Henkels. The doubles seem to have both higher quality steel and more folds. I have some and they are not bad knifes.

After doing a lot of reading I am thinking that ceramic is the future though. They seem to be such a jump forward in technology for many kitchen knife applications. To me it was like going from a black and white tube TV to and Oled color flat screen. While they have some deficits, (don't drop one on a HARD tile floor), in a great many ways they are far superior to steel as the attached article indicates and professional kitchens are adopting them fast. They are also less expensive.
Interesting to learn that diamonds are no longer considered natures hardest material with both lonsdaleite and wurtzide boron nitride now known to be .harder. Ceramic knives are currently being made with zirconium dioxide. https://www.stonefryingpans.com/best-ceramic-knives/#titanium-vs-ceramic-knives

I am ordering an 8 inch ceramic chefs knife I found on line to test it out.

I used these on my and my wife wanted 1 for nether kitchen. I have given them to friends and neighbors and they all love them and it is priced to replace when it gets dull.Screenshot 2023-05-13 132209.jpg

I used these on my and my wife wanted 1 for nether kitchen. I have given them to friends and neighbors and they all love them and it is priced to replace when it gets dull.View attachment 92431
I have 6 of those in my drawer. My wife loves them. My grandma always cut in her hand and used something similar.

You can't have just one, but I managed to get a good edge on a nicely balanced KitchenAid butcher knife I found at Re-store for $2. I have others.IMG_20230514_184759665.jpg

Has anyone tried this? Looks cool…

Received a German made Henkels 8" chef and parer as a wedding present 30 years ago. Both still in use. The wife prefers the Santoku pattern from Victorinox that I got her about 5 years back, it's lighter and better balanced for her.

I still like the big Henkels, holds its edge longer and has the power for high volume prep work when needed. A completely different beast from the cheap sweatshop stuff with Henkels stamp on it.

Back