Favorite on the boat meals (simple and ideally fresh out of the water)

What fish do you generally do the sashimi with?

I've only done sashimi with salmon. Not terribly concerned as I eat fresh salmon and it is not cooked more than medium.

As for ceviche halibut or rockfish. In Kyuquot I always stop by some of the kelp beds or pinnacles and drop down a buzz bomb on a light spinning rod to hopefully grab a few black rockies for happy hour ceviche.

Thanks Pippen!

@Brando and others, I’ll be in Winter Harbour in late June, from my reading (Charlie white book), oysters are not very good during that time of year. Is it worth the effort or stick with clams which apparently don’t degrade as much during the summer spawning season?
Months that have an r June is too late.

Haaaaa. We reheated cinnamon rolls twice in ours while she was at the boat show last month. Sooooo good. The cabin smelled like a model home 😂😂😂.

Haaaaa. We reheated cinnamon rolls twice in ours while she was at the boat show last month. Sooooo good. The cabin smelled like a model home 😂😂😂.
I love that you could prep all meals in the foil pans and freeze them, ready to go. This opens up so many possibilities.

Please stop making me buy things.
I agree...i really don't need any more gizmo's, though there are certain days where this would be super handy (and effortless).
Get one of these. We can throw in 4-6 breakfast burritos, pizza, brats, etc. They get very warm. Almost too hot to eat when coming right out. 12vdc.

Still on the fence whether to say thanks or not, lol. :D

Get one of these. We can throw in 4-6 breakfast burritos, pizza, brats, etc. They get very warm. Almost too hot to eat when coming right out. 12vdc.

Roadpro! Been using one of these for years. Brats and a jar of sauerkraut is a favorite. Breakfast burritos, pizza, prawns…everything goes in there. Cooked a grouse that i shot along side a logging road in there once but it turned out kind of chewy.

Roadpro! Been using one of these for years. Brats and a jar of sauerkraut is a favorite. Breakfast burritos, pizza, prawns…everything goes in there. Cooked a grouse that i shot along side a logging road in there once but it turned out kind of chewy.
Where can we buy these in Canada?

Months that have an r June is too late.
With respect, this is too simplistic. Even on the relatively populated Sunshine Coast, our family has been collecting and eating oysters and clams throughout the warm part of the year without incident, for many decades. The annual blanket closure that goes up is butt covering by bureaucrats. There is very little testing done, and algal blooms are quite localized, not coastwide.

There are simple precautions to take:
- Don't collect shellfish adjacent to busy anchorages, there will likely be coliform contamination from black water tank discharge.
- Don't collect shellfish in long, dead-end bays or coves.
- Don't collect shellfish if you see unusual plankton or algal blooms on the water surface or in the shallows.
- DO collect shellfish on reefs or between islands where the daily tides flow over the beach to flush things out.

With respect, this is too simplistic. Even on the relatively populated Sunshine Coast, our family has been collecting and eating oysters and clams throughout the warm part of the year without incident, for many decades. The annual blanket closure that goes up is butt covering by bureaucrats. There is very little testing done, and algal blooms are quite localized, not coastwide.

There are simple precautions to take:
- Don't collect shellfish adjacent to busy anchorages, there will likely be coliform contamination from black water tank discharge.
- Don't collect shellfish in long, dead-end bays or coves.
- Don't collect shellfish if you see unusual plankton or algal blooms on the water surface or in the shallows.
- DO collect shellfish on reefs or between islands where the daily tides flow over the beach to flush things out.
I would agree but I’m not going to post on a public forum telling someone to harvest shellfish in the summer that’s up to them to learn on their own and gain the experience. We have spent considerable time in the areas we are harvesting from if your just cruising through an area will little to no experience of it the R month is a good rule to use.

Good call, will keep my eye out. Do you soak the clams?
You should collect Littleneck and Manila clams rather than Butter clams. The latter are larger, deeper and tougher. Littlenecks are only 2-3" below the surface and are perfectly tender once steamed open.

Collect Littlenecks and Manilas on gravel and shell beaches, not sandy beaches. The latter will mostly have Varnish clams, which are shiny brown with purple inside the shell. They're less numerous and tend to retain some sand. No one likes gritty clams, so give them a miss.

Look for a beach that is mostly gravel, pebbles and broken shells. When conditions are right, the clams are unbelievably prolific; a tiny cove only 10-15 m wide could feed you an entire summer and be just as bountiful next year. In inside waters, there will often be oysters sitting on the beach surface. Scrape away the surface pebbles and shells; the clams will be directly below, a couple of inches at most. You'll know you're too deep when you start finding the much larger Butter clams. If an area the size of a kitchen sink doesn't turn up a couple of dozen clams, try moving up or down the beach. There's a certain elevation with the right balance of tidal coverage and exposure that makes the clams, well, happy.

Conservation notes:
- only take clams that are the size of a loonie or bigger. Leave the little guys and eat them next year.
- no need to pick an area clean, so what if you miss a few? They'll be there for later.
- return the areas you expose back to their natural state. Re-fill the holes made, then rake the surface pebbles and shells back over the area.
- only take what you can eat in the next day or two. More food safety issues arise with stored seafood than newly collected. Fresh clams will be there waiting on the next low tide.
- observe DFO daily limits. Manilas and Littlenecks in most areas is 60 per day per licence.

Link with identification chart for common clam species:
https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/docs/clams-intertidal-palourde-intertidale-pub-eng.html

To the Ceviche lovers. Do you have any hesitation about using fresh fish due to worms/parasites? I love me some ceviche but have always frozen my fish first to kill anything that might be in there.

The thought of fresh out of the water ceviche is sooooo good though.
A friend of mine in the fish business told me to only eat 2 seafood items right out of the ocean to be safe from worms and parasites, prawns and yellow fin tuna

A friend of mine in the fish business told me to only eat 2 seafood items right out of the ocean to be safe from worms and parasites, prawns and yellow fin tuna

That's probably a safe bet.
However the only raw seafood that's ever made me sick were oysters from restaurants

Back