Fall Mushroom Picking - how is everyone doing?

im just getting into mushroom picking. does anyone have any good resources they would recommend? websites, books.

I’ve got every good mushroom book but even the best one wasn’t as good as the worst course I’ve taken. I’d start with a decent course and do another in a couple years when you’ve leveled up. Dinner tonight will be creamy matsutake, and ruffed grouse stew!

I'm seriously thinking of doing a course next year. A friend just finished one and said it was amazing, and he has been mushroom picking for five years

I’ve got every good mushroom book but even the best one wasn’t as good as the worst course I’ve taken. I’d start with a decent course and do another in a couple years when you’ve leveled up. Dinner tonight will be creamy matsutake, and ruffed grouse stew!
Great advice!
Don't go foraging and trying to look up every shroom you see to decide? Even the cauli I spotted this weekend, I asked a buddy to look at it 'yeah maybe, and make sure you cut it leaving the stem and we'll get others to look at it'. Once back with our group, the educated people said 'yeah and here is a book, to verify what you look for'. I never would have headed out on my own following a book!

It really is amazing though the variety available and the incredible taste! Yesterday was the first time I tasted a Lobster mushroom...WOW :)

@saltydawg only fried up a small bit outside on the tailgate for lunch, just to taste.
@Bows Up I found the texture to definitely be like an egg noodle pasta. I'm sure clam linguine sauce would be excellent.
Good to hear it will freeze well. How? Fry first? Or Fresh as is?
Thanks.
Fresh as is.

Reactions: 007
Can anyone confirm that Shaggy manes and wine are not a good mix ?
I read that there was a chance of a bad reaction due to some chemical in them
that doesn't mix with alcohol.

Can anyone confirm that Shaggy manes and wine are not a good mix ?
I read that there was a chance of a bad reaction due to some chemical in them
that doesn't mix with alcohol.

My book doesn't say anything about the shaggy Mane being bad with wine. The only one I have listed showing not to be consumed with alcohol is the Black Morel.

Thought I would check a spot by the Taylor river on my way home from work today. Glad I did as I found these in 20 min! Checked this same spot about a week ago and there wasn’t even a shroom to be seen. Think I’ll have to go back one weekend soon as most were very small still and the bigger ones hadn’t even pushed through the moss. I checked a couple spots out near bamfield at the beginning of the month and found nothing. 29AD41DA-12F4-4DB4-A5AB-F2D4EDE10B6E.jpeg

Tried a cauliflower today for the first time. Foraged them for $30 a pound at the Trout Lake farmers market. Good flavor but not great as a stand alone dish like chanterelles. Might work better in a risotto because the texture was kind of cool. What a ***** to clean though. Pine needles all over.

Back