F/S Used Prawn Traps

Fishing Guide

Cheers All,

After having 2 tandem sets of prawn traps stolen yesterday I have decided to replace the remaining 2 as well - so everything matches.

Each set consists of:

One Polyform A-1 float
One 1 lbs kellet
One 500' ground line (approx)
Two commercial prawn traps 31" s/s
One 75' x 5/16" connecting line between traps
Two s/s pot snaps
Two Scotty bait cups
Two Scotty bait cup keepers

I priced out this combination at 2 different local sports stores and, while they don't have this high a quality product, they would retail for about $350.00 / set (including tax). I normally sell these new for $275.00 with no tax - and I do have a couple left.

These two sets are in great shape and one has a brand new ground line while the other has a new float (not even a name on it - yet).

Each set is spliced together and is ready to fish.

Sale Price: $150.00/set

I will give FVI the first 3 days, and if they are still here, I will post otherplaces.

Located in Nanaimo

PS Just finished splicing last of the new traps - so the purchaser can now actually see what I am doing. OH yeah...$1100.00 later.

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff
www.fishingvancouverisland.org

Got my set set in the water already. Looked brand new to me at a good price. I was just about to get a beater set from PNT.

Thanks Gerry

I fear that in my haste to acknowledge a good deal for me I have slagged the used traps that PNT sells. The ones I have bought there in the past have needed some very minor repair, however I would not hesitate to seek them out in the future as they are very good value.

I am sorry if I have created the wrong impression.

You make me LOL with that comment,
FG, was selling BRAND NEW prawn traps for the same price as PNT's used traps. I was selling used traps for $20 each. In the BST paper there are were lots of used prawn traps for far less $'s then PNT is tring to sell theirs.

Shop around guys,
Even RVP was selling them same PNT used traps on his auction site for cheaper then PNT. I phoned PNT to find that out.

I may have some for FREE. I see a buddy of mine droped off 5or6 used ones in my carport last night. Let me look them over and see if they are worth fishing.

I called PNT and spoke to them, Unknown. They said $55 for 1, $50 each if I bought 4 or more. I asked them about the ones on your site and they said that it was a deal just for you on your site and that you were not making a dime in it. But they could not do that deal dirrectly, that I would have to go thru you.

I'd like to buy some $20 ex commercial traps. Or some free ones. Nice to have on hand when a boom runs them over.

The framess are in real rough shape(rust), but the mesh is still good. One would have to replace the rubbers. There are 6 of them.

Will send a picture if any interest. Just email me. I am in the Comox Valley.

Cheers All,

Both sets of traps have been paid for and picked up. It has been an added treat to meet other fishermen from this area (and outside) and share different ideas an experiences.

With all my used gear gone I still have NEW crab traps, prawn traps, floats, kellets, snaps and bait containers at signficantly less than retail. Splicing is done at no charge.

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff

quote:Originally posted by fishassassin123

You make me LOL with that comment,
FG, was selling BRAND NEW prawn traps for the same price as PNT's used traps. I was selling used traps for $20 each. In the BST paper there are were lots of used prawn traps for far less $'s then PNT is tring to sell theirs.

FG was selling brand new traps for $55 but had to increase the price to $70. If you don't have any traps left for $20, then I guess that's not much use and I wouldn't want rusty traps on my fiberglass free or not. I don't see any used traps online BST, I see a lot of those vinyl coated rectangle traps for sale but I find them awkward to use and the mesh is too small for me. Unless FG offers some more used sets for the last price, PNT has the best value I can get today.

We get that BST Vancouver Island at work almost each week year round. Last time I looked was about 2-3 weeks ago and there were lots of used traps for $25-40 used plus them square ones, that I have beeen shown to work very well.

I still think FG has the better trap for the price. New/used I would buy new. But mine are FREE as they were given to me for free, and they will work fine for some guy out there fishing in a for fun on weekends with there families. I will even help fix them up so they are fishable at no cost. Still FREE

Sorry FG last I saw this was a ad for you to sell your traps,

Please forgive me,

Cheers All,

You are welcome Copper Moon for the exceptionally great price on your used prawn traps. However, I would politely disagree that PNT has the 'best value'.

My initial offering for prawn traps was $55.00 as they were a discount price (without going into the details) and, after adding $5.00 to the purchse price to cover my gas and expenses. That was an exceptional deal.

Currently I charge $70/trap (brand new) which includes the taxes or, to put it in more simplistic terms: $62.50 for the trap plus 12% taxes of $7.50 for a total of $70.00/trap. So...the price of $62.50 is exactly $7.50 more than the asking price of used traps.

That I have installed new bait keepers on every trap at my expense or that I can ensure your new traps are serviced should you ever need parts or that I guarantee re-webbing when the time is due makes me question if buying used is actually the 'best value'.

You and I have had several conversations about value and the difference between new and used traps. Ask any commercial prawn fisherman and he will inform you that, after a while, traps tend to fish less well and, when they do, they have them rewebbed. The supplier of my traps does thousands of rewebs for his clients. Not all of those are damaged traps - simply ones that the fishermen (men who make their living with quality product) have determind that they do not fish as well as when they were new. They then have them rewebed.

When I can I will have used traps but, in my humble opinion, the best value between a 'used' trap that average 9 years old - with no warranty or support - for $7.50 less - to me is not the 'best value -but I do support your right to your opinion.

Now...on to more important items - FISHING! :D

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff

Cheers All,

Absolutely correct Copper Moon. While I think our opinions are more a choice than something we are 'stuck with', I totally agree that humans are a species marked by similarities and differences. In fact I celebrate those differences as that is what makes life interesting.

Definately agree with RVP that there are a lot of components which make one trap outfish another.

As for being paid for my efforts in providing excellent gear at remarkably good pricing - I do find 'compensation' for myself for my efforts. I have met some remarkably great fishermen through these efforts and, as such, I feel myself richly compensated. The fact that "a lot of guys really appreciate what you (I) have been doing </u> for them"</u> is more than enough. How many go through life meeting little or no approval or, in fact, some quite the opposite.

Sometimes it is not all about money. I choose to focus on the enjoyable and not dwell on only the financial.

Now...can we get back to ... fishing? :D

PS I do have more traps, line, kellets, floats, bait cups available and, of course, the splicing is free.

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff

Back