Expansion plans for rowing club at Elk Lake, Victo

fishhawk8

I have taken this from another website and beleive that it is of interest to the users of this lake.

The CRD head, Chris Causton has indicated that there will be a public hearing into the proposed expansion of the Rowing Club and its facility at the south end of Elk Lake. The Victoria media has suggested there are "only one or two fishermen" that might be opposed to the move.. This is NOT A LOCAL ROWING CLUB!!! The club works directly under Canada's National organization and is attempting to use public property and lands and waters that were designated to be used/shared by all recreational and outdoors people.. If you have fished in a tube anywhere on Elk or Beaver Lake, you have very likely either had a close call with a shell, a quad, or the stealth bomber... an eight.. Some of the rhetoric that has come from the club is that they "will not increase the traffic on the lake", and "there have never been any accidents". That is catagorically untrue!! The rowers show little, if any regard for fishers on the water and on shore. Fishermen have been knocked out of tubes on the highway side (you do not hear them coming and the safety boat, if there is there for the rowers)..
The date of the hearing has not been set yet, but it has been suggested it will be late may or early june. CRD made it clear several years ago that no expansion would be entertained, however it appears that lobbying has pressured CRD into disregarding their own policy.
It is quite transparent that Rowing Canada has set Elk Lake up for the training facility for 2010 Olympics.. For the last Games they actually went on Global TV and asked that people not use Elk Lake as the rowers were training.. I have fished Elk and Beaver Lake for 40+ years and can only hope that other fishers recognize this move by the rowers as the first step in the theft of a rare jewel..
Please follow this closely and get your organizations and individuals ramped up to speak on behalf of the rod and reel groups.. Otherwise we shall turn around, and there she be........gone!!

and also the pertinent info for you all

I've found the references to the Elk Lake boathouse expansions in the CRD Parks Committee minutes, and a link to the summary of the consultant's report.

February 15, 2006 Minutes of the Parks Committee

In Section 11(a) refer to a proposal by the Rowing Society to expand the boat house, and two studies to be completed by consultants by the end of March on the impact of the boathouse expansion on recreational use.

http://www.crd.bc.ca/minutes/parkscommitte...eb06Minutes.pdf

March 15, 2006 Minutes of the Parks Committee

Section 14a

More details on the background and the process. Draft timetable to include public consultations late May/early June. Committee recommendation to the Board in August. Note that Management Plan does not allow further expansion of any facilities. There is a process in place to consider any proposals and assess it on is merit. "Staff were directed to see if the process could happen quicker without curtailing the public consultation process"

http://www.crd.bc.ca/minutes/parkscommitte...MAR6MINUTES.pdf

May 10, 2006 Minutes of the Parks Committee

Section 6: Studies completed and distributed to committee. Consultants there to answer questions of the committee. Public meeting to be held, and staff to report on the results of the public meeting and to provide a recommendation on the expansion to the committee in July.

Section 10: Correspondence re Rowing Club Expansion

http://www.crd.bc.ca/minutes/parkscommitte...AY06Minutes.pdf

Elk Lake Boathouse Expansion Reports Executive Summary

"The study indicates that the proposed expansion of the Elk Lake Rowing Centre will not have a direct negative impact on recreational use on Elk/Beaver Lake..."

(attachment 2 is the executive summary on impact of recreational users"

http://www.crd.bc.ca/reports/parkscommittee_/index.htm

If you have had any concerns with the expansion or incidents / near misses with the rowing club while out fishing you may want to attend the meeting.

I don't think it is right for them to muscle us out of there. We have the same right to be there too and what about water skiing? I want to use my boat there this summer for some tubing fun with the familiy, does that mean I can't do that either?? Total B.S. I will go to the meeting for sure, please keep us posted. First the logging companies gate up all the raods, now rowers are closing the lakes....AAAARRRRR.!!![:0][:0][:0]

Yes, the rowing club seems to be really lax with spotter boats. I have only been there once or twice but was appalled at the lack of respect with some of the rowers. A buddy's boat was rammed and they were still fishing!
At least the wake boarders on Shawnigan lake show some respect when asked.
I would NOT support this if I fished Elk a lot. Good luck guys.

Ya I've posted on this very subject before after having one of the row boats oars go over my head and when I told them to open there eyes the told me to $%&$ off! This was in the back bay of Beaver Lake at that! Nobody owns the lake and with common boating practices everybody can get along. I will protest this for sure if there is a meeting.

Hi all,

As posted earlier, here are the times for the public meeting. Hopefully we'll see some of the local fishers at this meeting. I think it's important to stand up here and make yourself heard.

For me personally, I don't have a problem with the application itself, and as a matter of fact, I believe that this facility does a lot of good for school programs and such. Where I do have a problem though, is in the self administering of the boats while on the lake.

As mentioned by others here and on other sites, there have been far too many instances of near misses to make this a safe venture for all. What probably really needs to happen is that there needs to be designated lanes for the rowers exclusively. These lanes should be marked on the signage at the launch ramps and marked by buoys on the water. If the skiers can't leave there posted area and the rowers do the same, that should be the end of most incidents as we (the fishers) see them.

Of course, any incident should be reported, with pics if possible and sent to the proper authorities. I have done this myself when fishing near Beaver Lake one of the ski boats came down at high speed and nearly swamped me. He was close to 400 yards outside the posted area, so I just took his boat registration and reported him.

As a fisherman, I could live with the fact that the rowing club is using a portion of the lake if they are regulated to a certain area. In order to select which area(s) they would get, a committee of users would need to be created. We all know which part(s) of the lake produce fish on a regular basis, and this area needs to be negotiated for our user group. Regardless of whether or not this application passes, this is the issue of contention between user groups and even if the application doen't pass, then this is something that should be initiated between the two groups. Anyways, just my 2 cents on the subject. Please read below, gather your information and maybe we'll see some of you at this meeting.

Thanks, Fishhawk[8D]

CRD Parks has posted the times for the public meeting on the expansion of the Elk Lake Rowing Centre, as well as the full impact assessment reports on their website at:

http://www.crd.bc.ca/parks/

Public Meeting: Proposed Expansion of Elk Lake Rowing Centre
Date: Thursday, June 15
Open House 6:30 pm
Presentation 7:30 pm
Comment Period 8 - 9 pm
638 Fisgard Street, Victoria

Environmental Assessment Report
http://www.crd.bc.ca/parks/documents/eb_environmental_study.pdf

Recreational Impact Assessment Report
http://www.crd.bc.ca/parks/documents/eb_recreation_study.pdf

Staff Report