Ex guide boat bad?

ichenjia

Hi guys,

I am looking at a 98 Campion Victoria. The first owner was a professional guide in Port Hardy. The current owner has no idea how many hours have been put on that Volvo Penta 4.3 GS. I am thinking it must be at least 100 hours a season for 20 years. Does this mean the engine is nearly the end of its life already and the boat is not really worth that much?

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I am looking at a 98 Campion Victoria. The first owner was a professional guide in Port Hardy. The current owner has no idea how many hours have been put on that Volvo Penta 4.3 GS. I am thinking it must be at least 100 hours a season for 20 years. Does this mean the engine is nearly the end of its life already and the boat is not really worth that much?

Thanks!
Get a compression test done at the least.

I put over 100 hours a year on my main, fishing 2-3 days a week for 3 months up at Telegraph. If he guided there must be more hours than that

I just had to change out my 4.3 and it was costly and hard to find. Mine was a 2000 Volvo Penta, but they installed a Mercruiser factory Reman.. The first replacement long block failed at less than 100 hours. The warranty covered a second one which failed after less than 25 hrs. I’m now on my third factory rebuild also under warranty in about 3 yrs. The new 4.3’s apparently won’t work with the older legs, and they quit making the older ones. So you’re stuck with either changing the motor and leg if anything goes wrong and you want new, or buying a reman engine.

What really annoyed me was I hit a log between engine number two and three so insurance paid for a new outdrive. I now have a new reman engine and a new outdrive. I constantly think if only instead of replacing engine and outdrive they paid for podding.lol

I put over 100 hours a year on my main, fishing 2-3 days a week for 3 months up at Telegraph. If he guided there must be more hours than that
I called the guide who sold the boat this morning. The engine has about 1100 hours and the 2015 kicker has about 1500 hours. Holy cow. That kicker should be done any minute

I don't know what it is about those 4.3 V6's (I'm no mechanic) ,but pretty much every boat I look at or see advertised has had the motor replaced or rebuilt.Any mechanic's care to enlighten us on why they don't last?

I don't know what it is about those 4.3 V6's (I'm no mechanic) ,but pretty much every boat I look at or see advertised has had the motor replaced or rebuilt.Any mechanic's care to enlighten us on why they don't last?
you are correct they do not last in the marine environment, why i don't know, just always seem under powered

My 2008 Yam 8HP Hight Thrust ran 13 years with 4000 hours. I could have fixed it but decided to go new. It wouldn't start one day and I thought hell time for a new one. Not even sure what the problem was. Point is kickers go a long time normally if maintained.

Hi guys,

Thanks!

Hours mean nothing. Look at how it was taken care of. Most inboard are blown because outboard guys like to slam throttle in full WOT. You just can't do that on those motors. It isn't an outboard. My inboard I rarely go past 3800 rpm. Besides you save so much fuel by going a little slower.

If the motor was well maintained that is what I would look at more. You can get a 500hr motor with someone who misuses it.

BTW 4.3L was standard on Campion Victoria. It isn't under powered. They aren't that heavy. Same goes for your kicker. Maintenance first! Lots out there still going with way more hours.

One word of advice check the floor. The Victoria had some issues with rotting on floor. Check for soft spots.

As a price rule an inboard Campion Victoria that vintage/miles should only be in the 17-22k range.

Last edited:
The early ones were just a 350 with two cylinders cut off. We tried using them in racing and they failed quite often, crankshafts were a head ache. Later versions were better but still don't take high revs for long period of time very well and now, they like just about all engines made are almost bullet proof.
IMHO, if you get one rebuilt get it balanced, good rods and the block line bored and use cast aluminum pistons, get them balanced, the hypereutectic pistons don't like water or pre-detonation very much, they used to shatter if too much moisture got in the cylinder
I had one of those white 9.9 yamahas for 11 years back late 80’s/90’s. I’ll bet it had 10,000 hours on it
I bought two.
I used both at first, two boats, but got rid of one and stored the other engine from 1996 until this spring.
I sold the used one 5 years ago for $1600.00 with, I don't know, a huge amount of hours on it and it still ran, Pushed my 26' Searay cabin cruiser around at a decent speed. Just used the big engine to get to the fishing spot and that kicker for hours and hours just idling around with a quick rev to clear up deposits. Had to use it off Vancouver Island when I had a exhaust bellows blow up.

Back