Evinrude outboard

opto55

I have an opportunity to purchase a used boat with an Evinrude Ficht 115 hp 2000 model. 180 hours on the motor. Any comments on the reliability and life expectancy of these motors? Thank you.

That depends on wether you are buying it as a anchor or a motor. Go to iboats.com and do a search on that topic. It should tell you all you need to know.

I have the 98 Johnson Ficht, no problems with it so far although I have heard that the fuel pumps may need to be replaced at some point. I suggest spending the $55-60 and take it to a dealer and have them hook it up to the laptop to get an exact hours run reading and it will also tell you of any problems the engine has encountered and at what hours they were encountered.

quote:Originally posted by opto55

I have an opportunity to purchase a used boat with an Evinrude Ficht 115 hp 2000 model. 180 hours on the motor. Any comments on the reliability and life expectancy of these motors? Thank you.

Johnson/Evinrude make a great motor, I had a 1998 but without the Ficht. I remember doing my research, and everyone said STAY CLEAR of the Ficht! They make better anchors than motors! I would expect it to be a headache, I know some mechanics that steered me way clear of that machine, so do some more research, ask around. Good luck!

quote:Originally posted by explorer185

Looking at it and it says Johnson Ficht.

www.outboardmotor.biz/FICHT

That's because untill they started pioneering direct injection/four strokes Evinrude/Johnson were identical wiht different paintjobs. The Johnson name is reserved for entry level two-strokes (Carbed, for the few that are still being produced these days), and the re-branded Suzuki four-strokes. Evinrude gets Ficht/Ram/Etec. That's just an old page header, you won't find a single OMC/Bombardier piece of literature saying anything about a Ficht Johnson.

The 1999 Johnson on my Fishing Machine was a great motor, BTW, and had no ficht, just six nice carbs that went fast and loved gas!

John, at Dr. John's Mobile Marine may be able to help you.

He serviced Evinrudes for years at WPM in Nanaimo. He now has his own business.

618-0157

Back