Evinrude g2

LIVELINES

Anyone out there running a g2 ? Thoughts, feelings? I've been around some of the g1 motors and liked them but wondering what the g2's are like.

Yup, this year we got a G2... It's fantastic performance. A little bit louder than a 4-stroke, but makes a great noise. Very quiet for a 2-stroke (compared to the old ones if you remember/know someone with one!). But damn it sounds mean! Has 'lope' like a cammed small-block at idle :) Love it.
Benefits? Instant torque, Just staggering acceleration (Boat is overpowered now I will admit, left room for future 'footage-upgrade') scary fast, no fishing boat needs to go as quick as this thing does... I actually have to be careful to not go over 50 mph sog or it will chine walk and attempt to kill me LOL, just fantastic! :p Great fuel economy. Break in period, occasionally get a little wiff of the exhaust at times (you can tell it's a 2-stroke), but the ECU is programmed to use a little extra oil during this time. I personally like the smell and sure it will be gone when it's fully broken in (just about 20 hours on her now!). The fly-by-wire control and the screen shows you everything performance wise you could ever want, super slick! Even has auto-trim. Some people don't like it, it works great I think even in combination with trim tabs.

No more oil changes! Just have to add oil. Even in break-in - Don't need to add much XD-100, very comparable cost-wise.

What the number 1 reason for purchase I think... we moor the boat far away from any reputable dealer. 5 years no major service needed. No 100 hour service even needed! 6 year full warranty I believe. All motors are pretty good now. Service is what matters right? Don't have much to do which is nice. Lordship is the dealer, in Tilbury, which sucks as they are far, but otherwise they have good, friendly service!

ONE thing though. The hydraulic steering is integrated (can select different steering feedback even - cool!) Had existing sea-star system on the boat. When the new hydralic lines were installed by the dealer, a fitting was cracked, subsequently failed on the water. Which SUCKED. No fault of the engine. However, after that fiasco (new AN fitting). There is a seal in the hydraulic assembly that is leaking, so we sent it in to get fixed by the dealer. This engine is a first model year production, so a few kinks, other than that reliable and great on fuel.

Overall I do recommend it, low maintenance, good warranty, good performance even trolling. Everything you want really. There are a few service bulletins, but it's a brand new product. Had no issues beside the one steering problem, but that's it.

PS: I need a better picture... It's metallic red/gloss black. We have red and black stripes on the boat, looks bad butt with the aluminum combo I think! :D
Cheers

20160611_184505.jpg

Thanks for the info ! Spent a lot of time around the setup they had at the boat show and became interested. Looking at going new power from my old 250 salt water series and I think it's the route I want to take. I'm sure I seen you up at Epsom earlier summer boat looked good !!

G2 is only available in 200hp plus, V6 model. The Gen 1's are still great motors too. Very comparable! Really can't go wrong with a 2-stroke or 4-stroke now, they are all very good I think. Just don't fill your boat with ethanol gas and maintain it/run it, and your're good. Nobody building those few time-bomb outboards like there was in the 90's, lol.

Thanks for the info ! Spent a lot of time around the setup they had at the boat show and became interested. Looking at going new power from my old 250 salt water series and I think it's the route I want to take. I'm sure I seen you up at Epsom earlier summer boat looked good !!

Thanks! That was definitely me! Haven't been out there that much but maybe will get a few more chances yet this summer!!! Cheers

G2 is only available in 200hp plus, V6 model. The Gen 1's are still great motors too. Very comparable! Really can't go wrong with a 2-stroke or 4-stroke now, they are all very good I think. Just don't fill your boat with ethanol gas and maintain it/run it, and your're good. Nobody building those few time-bomb outboards like there was in the 90's, lol.=QUOTE]

Looks like they are now available in 150and 175 hp models

Really can't go wrong with a 2-stroke or 4-stroke now, they are all very good I think.
Nobody building those few time-bomb outboards like there was in the 90's, lol.

Unfortunately there are some products that make it to market before they are ready.
The Yamaha 350 being an example. I had one. It blew. Still under warranty and low hours, was able to get it replaced but then traded it in on twin 200s instead.

There are few bad engines out there. Thankfully you can read all about them on other sites before purchasing. (I should have, but didn't, and got lucky)

I had been talking with the evindrude dealer. The main motors are improvement and better fuel than the older.

They do not nake a 4 stroke on the motors anymore. So they do make a two stoke on the motors.

The two stroke motors are bettet than the 4 stroke motors ( evindrude/Johnson) ..

The new evindrude motors are looking very nice and cool.

The price are good .

The evindrude parts are cheaper than other motors such as yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, etc.

Just had my G1 3year service done at haruna in west van.
He is a merc/evinrude dealer. I asked all of questions on the G2. Stay away from first year models. Other than that wicked motor. Asked... Merc or evinrude? He said he will never buy anything other than etec.
Also a small thing but if you compare the lower leg to others. The 1.85 gears allow for a longer nose cone and better handling.
Buy the extended warranty I used mine Las year for an injector. Didnt know I had it and I only cost me 50$ for the service call. There are new dealers poping up everywhere.

I guess Sherwood Marine is not selling these any more. I heard they were having problem;s with warranty issue's? Anyone hear anything about that? I had a 21 ft. Striper last year with a 2009 - 200 E-tec , - loved it !!

Back