Esperanza Inlet Fishing Report

Sushihunter

Just finished a long stint of fishing trips with a quick 3 day trip to Vancouver in the the middle of it.

Last week, weather kept us from fishing the Highway as we would have liked. Got a nice fish off of Black Rock and had to release it. Picked up a Coho on the outside of Catalla and lost it at the boat because the guy on the rod wouldn't let it run when it started thrashing beside the boat. :(

Found a nice spot for catching Rockfish and Lingcod on the inside and entertained the group there for a couple of hours.

Quick trip to Vancouver for a BBQ with the Prime Minister. He still remembers me after not seeing him for 2.5 years. Told him he should bring the kids out to Tahsis for a fishing trip. You should have seen his eyes light up!

Back to Tahsis for a 3 day charter starting Tuesday morning. Had women & kid on board so we went to Hoiss Point and got two nice Chinook before 7 AM. Nothing the rest of the day. Saw one other fish boated there. Trolled San Carlos Point and Camel Rock with no success.

Second day took us to the Highway. 2 Chinook, 24 & 29 pounds, 4 marked Coho, but could not find a Halibut in last years spot. Finally got one - 6 pounds and it fell off the hook beside the boat!

Thursday, saw us out on the Highway. Got a nice 24 pound Chinook before we got the second rod in the water, and a hatchery Coho shortly afterward. Switched to Halibut fishing and got a couple of Yelloweye Rockfish.

Then we hooked into Moby Dick!

We spent 2.5 hours chasing this fish around the area. According to the track on my GPS, we moved over 600' from where we hooked it. The track looks like a tangle of fishing line on the screen. Before anyone says we hooked bottom, we were directly over the fish at points 600+ feet apart. If bottom behaves that way, it's new to me.

The guys had brought thier own Hali rods rigged with 60# spectra. We had already lost a good fish when a swivel came apart when the line jammed deep in the reel. I was very much afraid that we were going to break the line or another swivel on this monster, but it held up fine.

In spite of this, we could not get this "fish" to the surface. We tightened the drag up as much as we dared and he was still able to pull line after 2 hours. We had 3 people on that rod, including me for about 15 minutes. I pulled on that rod as hard as I could, fearfull that something would break, and still could not raise the fish. We tried pulling away to get some angle on the line. Didn't help a bit.

After 2.5 hours, the hook tore loose of whatever was on it. When the spreader bar and circle hook got to the surface, there was a 4 pound Canary Rockfish on it!!! Damn the Rockfish fight hard up here!

A couple more hours got us a nice 55 pound Halibut, and finally a 90 pound Halibut and a small Lingcod and more Yelloweye Rockfish.

All in all, a good time, but the fish of a life time eluded us yesterday.

Now, to catch up on some sleep. :D

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

I believe you Jim, sounds very much like a giant Hali.

Probably hooked in the side because it laid on it's lunch to hide it from the competition, seen that before up north.[8D]

imgp0742mj2.th.jpg

Can anyone see the 2 photos in the above posting?

They were here yesterday, but now I can not see them or load them.

[Edit - Aug.16/'08] Well, I seem to have the photos showing again. Can someone confirm that they are seeing them also? Thanks!

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

LMAO reading that bottom fishing story. Last week in Hardy we went through exact same thing word for word. 200ft of water, little bite and then WAM. About 45min of tugging and pulling as hard as I could(80 pound dacron line) and it just kept stripping line and moving into deeper water. Finally managed to just lift it off the bottom and immediately got the old one-finger fin wave. Pulled out a 4 pound rock fish. I was already using a whole rock fish skeleton for bait. Talk about your food chain:) Cannibalistic little buggers...

quote:Originally posted by Dogbreath

I believe you Jim, sounds very much like a giant Hali.

Probably hooked in the side because it laid on it's lunch to hide it from the competition, seen that before up north.[8D]

imgp0742mj2.th.jpg

We picked up a 60 lb'er yesterday out at twin peaks hooked in the side. Must not be as uncommon as we thought.

I am driving my boat from Tahsis to Rodgers Fishing Lodge tomorrow near Esperenza Inlet. Saw the Gale warning for today and possibly tomorrow. How bad do you think it will be going from Tahsis to Port Euza Inlet at the Lodge?

quote:Originally posted by cohochinook

I am driving my boat from Tahsis to Rodgers Fishing Lodge tomorrow near Esperenza Inlet. Saw the Gale warning for today and possibly tomorrow. How bad do you think it will be going from Tahsis to Port Euza Inlet at the Lodge?

You should be fine. It might get a little choppy just east of Centre Island in Esperanza Inlet... and depending on the "storm", you could start picking up some rollers at Centre. It is pretty well protected. Most of the fleet comes in and anchors behind Catala when the weather gets bad.

If you haven't been there before... watch out for the rocks at the mouth of Port Eliza!

Back