Engines on Facebook Used Victoria and Craigslist

Now that's a price drop. For the price of likely what the controls will likely cost you, you get the 350's a couple members hate and maybe negotatiate for the sharrows https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2699190513578625/
Funny - the Starboard engine is almost new. What's the story with the Yamaha 350 V-8s? Also strange to ditch the Sharrows at such a loss if they are just re-powering with an equivalent Merc.

(edit: ouch - new flywheel every 300hrs as 'routine' maintenance, plus assorted reliability issues)

Funny - the Starboard engine is almost new. What's the story with the Yamaha 350 V-8s? Also strange to ditch the Sharrows at such a loss if they are just re-powering with an equivalent Merc.

(edit: ouch - new flywheel every 300hrs as 'routine' maintenance, plus assorted reliability issues)
Those 350 had issue, not sure what but I am sure @bryce has a few stories
Do not buy, do not go near them, do not go on a boat that has one, (without a super reliable and big kicker cause that’s how your coming home)
Other then that I’m sure there great hahaha

F350A - Bad motor - most have exhaust issue and thrust bearing issues
F350B - Good motor - exhaust issue solved but some thrust bearing failures
F350C - great motors - no exhaust issue or thrust bearing issues

Seemingly pristine old Yamaha 8hp 2-stroke:

Strongly tempted to take this up to the cabin as a replacement for an old 1980s 9.9 that has seen better days, but the price seems a bit steep.
As tempting as the low hours may be, I wouldn’t go close to that motor. Nothing worse than a 19 year old motor that hasn’t been used regularly. You’d be surprised how much stuff would start to fail in a short period of time.

As tempting as the low hours may be, I wouldn’t go close to that motor. Nothing worse than a 19 year old motor that hasn’t been used regularly. You’d be surprised how much stuff would start to fail in a short period of time.
Yes but also, my 1985 Yamaha 8hp that looks like it should be in a museum runs like a top. So who knows. Some motors suck. Some don’t suck. It’s that simple but I do agree that not getting oil moving is bad for motors

tempting... an impeller I can deal with, but definitely don't want to rebuild the carb / fuel pump or deal with failing rings/reed valves.

Ugh, the old 9.9 evinrude was powerful and light (relatively). The engine needs to come off frequently for storage, so lightness is key and a modern 4-stroke 9.9 is just too heavy. Might just buy a new 6hp, which would be light - but a bit of a letdown in the performance department. Its going on an old 12ft Springbok, mainly used for just puttering around the lake.

tempting... an impeller I can deal with, but definitely don't want to rebuild the carb / fuel pump or deal with failing rings/reed valves.

Ugh, the old 9.9 evinrude was powerful and light (relatively). The engine needs to come off frequently for storage, so lightness is key and a modern 4-stroke 9.9 is just too heavy. Might just buy a new 6hp, which would be light - but a bit of a letdown in the performance department. Its going on an old 12ft Springbok, mainly used for just puttering around the lake.
I inherited a 9.8 mercury 2 string me that sat for 10 years. It fired right up but after the first use all the seals were gone. Just sold it as I did not want the headache. But you never know.

Back