Elk River

Steelhead S2

Hi guys. I have a friend coming out from Ontario this spring and he wants to fish... who can blame him? From the suggestions I made, he landed on a fly fishing trip to the Elk River, with a bit of time devoted to trolling the lake as well. Now, the lake I know, but I have never fished the river, so I am looking for advice. Specifically, when do the fish run? Is early May too early? Also, is the best access from along the highway, or are there other access points I need to know?

I'm a little concerned about getting flamed for posting on this river. But I figure it is not very likely to draw a crowd, as it is only a trout stream. Please feel free to respond via PM (or not at all) if you don't want any secrets getting out. Thanks.

I'm no expert on the Elk river, but I can tell you that it is very hit and miss. I had success there once in late April/early May for smallish rainbows but all of the other times that I have fished the river it seemed devoid of fish. From my understanding some of the lake rainbows come into the river from Buttle in the Spring but honestly there are some way better small streams that you could try at this time of year for trout.

I have sent you a PM.

Back