Elk Lake Derby

On a different note I support fishing on Elk and rowing as my daughter rows for VCRC out of Elk Lake. On the weekend we had a regatta in Duncan, but was advised there would be a derby. The rowing club in good faith advised club members to stay off the lake on Sat. to give way to the fisherman.. This shows we can get along if we work together.

quote:Originally posted by Dave H

I'm curious as to how long Largemouths have been on the Island?

Anyone know for sure?

I know smallies have been here a long time but I'm thinking Largemouths must have been introduced ilegally and are more recent???

Anyone?

It was about 2 years ago I first heard largemouth were in Elk. Never caught one, I don't target them. With trout, perch, sunfish, two types of bass, carp and catfish, it's turning into quite the multi-species fishing adventure in there.

Next thing you know, Izumi will be here filming walleye and pike episodes.

theres carp in there too??

what else?
dunno.gif

quote:On a different note I support fishing on Elk and rowing as my daughter rows for VCRC out of Elk Lake. On the weekend we had a regatta in Duncan, but was advised there would be a derby. The rowing club in good faith advised club members to stay off the lake on Sat. to give way to the fisherman.. This shows we can get along if we work together.
That is an excellent statement. There are a ton of bad incidences with rowers vs fishermen and to hear one good one that no one could know of is great to discover. I have had both experiences (good and bad) on Elk. It's just a matter of reducing self importance and understanding.

Elk lake so far is the only lake with Largemouth. Apparently it is known who did it but why nothing has been done is beyond me. I think they have been there about 4-5 years but last year we noticed a ton of little guys (under 1lb but biting spinnerbaits) all along the east and west sides of the lake. They are prolific to say the least.
LM (rumour has it) were introduced by the Govt on the mainland a long time ago (as well as smallmouth) but then with them in lakes, it's not hard to imagine someone catching them and transplanting them. That's the war I guess.

quote:On a different note I support fishing on Elk and rowing as my daughter rows for VCRC out of Elk Lake. On the weekend we had a regatta in Duncan, but was advised there would be a derby. The rowing club in good faith advised club members to stay off the lake on Sat. to give way to the fisherman.. This shows we can get along if we work together.
That is an excellent statement. There are a ton of bad incidences with rowers vs fishermen and to hear one good one that no one could know of is great to discover. I have had both experiences (good and bad) on Elk. It's just a matter of reducing self importance and understanding.

Elk lake so far is the only lake with Largemouth. Apparently it is known who did it but why nothing has been done is beyond me. I think they have been there about 4-5 years but last year we noticed a ton of little guys (under 1lb but biting spinnerbaits) all along the east and west sides of the lake. They are prolific to say the least.
LM (rumour has it) were introduced by the Govt on the mainland a long time ago (as well as smallmouth) but then with them in lakes, it's not hard to imagine someone catching them and transplanting them. That's the war I guess.

Back