Electronic Questions

Labman2

As I have posted previously, I will be on the Island later this month.
I have a HDS7, (for now), I want a Radar unit and a UHF that are compatable with it, with the option of upgrading later to either a HDS10 or the 116.
Any suggestions to what would work?
I am also interested in a Hyd. steering unit, that will steer my Outboards and a remote smaller wheel at the stern for my kicker.
Again any suggestions please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Rather B, I will be stopping in there, my courses are in CassidyNanimo!

The radar side is proprietary, so you have a choice of either their "HD" radar which is just regular old radar with a fancy name -- or, better yet, try out their new Broadband radar. Jury is still somewhat out on the effectiveness of the Broadband radar but it might be worth reading about. Nice in that it's very low power -- lower than a cell phone so doesn't use all your battery or cook your brain.

As for VHF -- basically any DSC capable radio is "compatible" and will generally connect to your plotter via NMEA0183 (2 wire) or NMEA2000 (barrel connector). The new Standard Horizon radios with the AIS receiver will work with your plotter and allow you to plot vessels with an AIS transmitter on your plotter, and allow you to radio them directly.

Cheers All,

Not sure the jury is still out on the new Broadband Radar. It won countless awards as the best marine inovation last year. There are many aspects of it and, unless you need something with a 50 mile range, this unit is simply fantastic. Low power requirements and no radiation are simply some of the inovations. I am sold on its ability to discern objects in close proximity. My fishing is such that I need to know what is within 5 miles and am not overly concerned with vessels 50 miles away. I would seriously consider one if you were in the market for a radar unit to affix to a Lowrance product.

As for Lowrance vendors - NOBODY beats the professionalism of Dane at Harbour Chandler in Nanaimo. I have purchased many products there and the only thing that surprises me is how great the service is they provide - consistantly!

I've not used one myself and only pointed to the question that I saw in this article: http://www.panbo.com/archives/2009/07/br24_vs_furuno_4_uhd_take_two_yike.html#more

Seemed to indicate that there were some issues in areas that are high traffic so lots of interference. Otherwise the small size, low power and instant on capabilities along with lower price are all appealing!!! I see other members of this forum have some issues with Lowrance support -- YMMV of course...

Just found this article that provides an unbiased comparison between Broadband and Pulse radar systems. Good read.
http://www.navigate-us.com/site/guidance/radar

I am just about to buy the Lowrance HDS-10 and there broardband radar and the Standard Horizon with the AIS. There is a $100 rebate on the HDS-10 and a $500 rebate on the radar. The best price that I could find was $2300 for the HDS and $1600 on the radar the chip is another $230 for the Gold chip and $350 for the VHF. These prices were not from Dane at Harbour Chandler but he is a great salesman and I have not got back to him to see if he will match the price but my bet is that he will. Again a great guy. If you get a better price on these products let me know.

Harbour Chandler should be your one and only choice if you on the island. If you buy it somewhere else you will be calling Dane eventually to help you get it all hooked up. They know Lowrance better than any dealer in western Canada. Getting the best deal can often lead to getting a little less on the customer service side. It costs money to have good people that know there stuff. HDS 10 with Radar and side scan structure rocks.

I can help you with your hyd steering question. Simply buy 2 helms and the wheels of your choice, also buy 2 hydraulic cylinders...one for the main and 1 for the kicker. Make sure your kicker will accept the cylinder. Add a liquid valve which is fitted into the hyd lines and allows you with the turn of a lever to have both helms turn just the main alone or both engines together. No tie bar, no rattle. Run out to fish on the main with only it turning...stop to fish...drop the kicker and push it so it lines up with the main...turn the lever and now both turn while trolling. Teleflex has all the gear you need to install this.

Where/Who carries Teleflex? The liquid valve, is that like a divertor valve used in equipement hydraulics?

Most local marine supply outlets carry Teleflex...they are a Canadian company. I believe in Vancouver. Seastar is also their brand name. The valve is just that, a 2 position inline valve. SG Power in Victoria has installed lots of them, mostly for the charter guys. They call it a liquid valve. I bought mine from Sherwood Marine as they had one in an open box for a great price. I already had most of the equipment on my boat, just needed the valve and an additional cylinder for the kicker. Had to buy a couple of new lines to accommodate the valve. One of the best investments I've made.

Just checked out their Web site, very informative with lots of reading, looks doable on my boat, Single plus kicker.
Thanks for the input P.F.

Back