Electrical systems for boats - need help!

barkerfam

Hey there, bigger new to me boat that needs some electrical work.

Can anyone recommend a good book that will help me understand how it works and how to fix it?

THanks

hb

Check out Pacific Yacht Systems' website and YouTube page, both are excellent sources of info from basic to more advanced.

I have a book on marine electrical systems that I've never opened; I do all my own electrical / electronics work and have never found it useful as there are lots of sources on the web for specific projects.

I carry the following in my electrical toolkit:
- wire cutters - both diagonal for smaller wires and high leverage cutters (the kind with the jaws that shear) for larger
- wire strippers. I've tried a bunch and highly recommend the Ideal Stripmasters, they are worth the extra you pay over Klein / Irwin / etc. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004KO409E/ref=pe_3034960_233709270_TE_item
- Ancor ratcheting crimper
- various Ancor heat shrink butt connectors and terminals
- adhesive-lined heat shrink tubing in various sizes
- heat gun
- dielectric grease
- Brady BMP 21 label maker. Can do various labels including heat shrink. I always label both ends of any wire I install.
- multitester
- sharp utility knife

Hey there, bigger new to me boat that needs some electrical work.

Can anyone recommend a good book that will help me understand how it works and how to fix it?

THanks

hb
Congratulations on the new boat!
12 volt boat wiring is not complicated or difficult to work with. The issues you find are often related to any improper wiring or electrical components (automotive) used from the get-go or by previous owners. Or it's just the outfall from years of aging and corrosion.

There are literally hundreds of good videos to filter through but if you prefer a book, the "12 Volt Bible" is one.

If you have a helm filled with spaghetti, it's often best to start fresh. Look at the amperage draw of each device to be serviced and determine wire guages and fusing needed for those. Count the devices to figure out the distribution block/s needed. Add them all together to decide upon the wire guageDC_wire_selection_chartlg.jpgcoming from the House switch. Length, round trip, is also a factor.
If you take a pizza approach (one piece at a time) it goes nicely. Label everything and only use marine components. The Blue Seas site is a valuable resource, too.

Last edited:
It's great to add up numbers but In my opinion its necessary to understand the basic theory so you dont cross up those numbers which could lead to a fire. Oh and get a proper fire extinguisher to put out electrical fires A MUST !!! Understanding where to find that fire and put it out is in my opinion #1 thing to learn , just my 2 cents !

Owner has a Pursuit,so wiring was done to a high standard from the builder,must be owner add ons from previous owners.Very common problem I've found.
Yup had that 11 yrs ago when I got my new to me Striper. Ripped it all out and redid and learnt a lot. Even the safest wiring can create unnecessary heat with age and ya add a few more amps and , well we all know fiberglass and fire dont make a good mix when your out slamming your 40lbers lol , just me but, I like to know "just in case" not fools proof but !!!! Anyway back to helping the guy out with wiring info !!!! PS I like the YouTube idea ....I forsure use it and this site is an EXCELLENT source, just search electrical you'll be busy reading all day ...and solid advise!

Appreciate all the help!

It is a 1998 Pursuit 2870.

I am a book and video kind of guy . I like and use them both. I got a mech engineering degree prior to medical school so I'm a bit of nerd, who likes to understand the nitty-gritty.

Thanks again!!

HB

It's great to add up numbers but In my opinion its necessary to understand the basic theory so you dont cross up those numbers which could lead to a fire. Oh and get a proper fire extinguisher to put out electrical fires A MUST !!! Understanding where to find that fire and put it out is in my opinion #1 thing to learn , just my 2 cents !
If you can read, do grade 3 arithmetic and read a tape measure, you can do this stuff. It's all info listed on the wire, fuses, devices and the very conservative tables.

Eg. Automatic bilge pump. Label says use 5 amp fuse. The wire runs 6 feet to the battery so round trip is 12 feet. Look at table. It says 14 guage is good to 20 feet. I buy 14 feet of marine wire to have ample: 7 feet brown and 7 feet black. I also buy a waterproof fuse holder and a 5 amp fuse. I also buy heat-shrink terminals and connectors. I learned to use my wire stripper and ratcheting crimper so make the connections and shrink the tube. After connecting the terminals securely, I test the pump. It's working! Now I'm building skills and confidence.

I get to the dash. I add up the amperage listed on all 12 of the devices. I buy a marine distribution block with 16 fuse slots so I have room for expansion. The amperage totals 30 amps. Again, I measure and then go to the table. I need a total of 24 feet of wire: 12 feet yellow and 12 feet black. The table says 6 guage. So I run a 6 guage yellow to the House switch with a 30 amp fuse and the 6 ga. black ground to the main ground buss. Each device then connects to the distribution block, maybe red wire labeled "VHF" to the fuse terminal and black to the common buss, with the appropriate wires and fuse. Easy, conservative and very safe.

Sure, I suppose if you went horribly astray, not reading, adding or measuring and you entirely ignored proper fusing requirements you could have a fire but you could burn your house down with a joint, too.

Back