electrical problems

alumaman

I have dual batteries with dual outboards and I had what I thought was a dead battery so I replaced both batteries. The starter will engage the port side engine with the battery switch in position 1, 2 and 3 (all) but not enough to turn the fly wheel. The starboard side engine will start in all three positions. I think it is the starter on the port side engine any ideas?

Thanks

Reverse the cables so that the starboard cables start the port and vise versa. this eliminates switch problems and cable problems. Could also be a poor ground or cables corroded-I wouldn't jump to the most expensive fix first-look for the small things, I had a bad switch this year and it had been masquerading as all kinds of electrical faults but when the switch was by-passed everything worked perfectly. Good luck

You need to take voltage readings at key locations. Think about whats happening and check voltage. If you cant do this, youwill be reduced to changing random parts. Advice- get someone to t- shoot.

I had a similar issue and it was the starter. Got it rebuilt for a hundy in Courtenay

My friend has been plagued by starter issues. The majority of them has been the poorly constructed starter relay.
If you can, try jumping the contacts on the relay and see if there is improvement. If not, you're looking at a new starter. Use a heavier (#8 or so) gauge wire and make sure the surfaces are clean. Do NOT short it for more than a second or two as arcing can mess up your relay posts.
Hope it's an easy fix!

My friend has been plagued by starter issues. The majority of them has been the poorly constructed starter relay.
If you can, try jumping the contacts on the relay and see if there is improvement. If not, you're looking at a new starter. Use a heavier (#8 or so) gauge wire and make sure the surfaces are clean. Do NOT short it for more than a second or two as arcing can mess up your relay posts.
Hope it's an easy fix!

Where is the starter relay and what does it look like? Thanks

It's that thing we jumped yesterday there bud.
You know the spare one we got from 5 star
GLG

It was simple a simple fix, the ground between the batteries weren't connected and another ground wire to the first battery was left off the post. Fired the motors up and had a great day on the water. Simple is good.....and cheap. Now for the trailer.

Back