Electric over hydraulic reversing problem

ryanb

So I have a problem with reversing my boat trailer. When I'm backing down the boat ramp my brake controller thinks I'm braking harder than I actually am because of the slope on the ramp. This results in almost instantly locked brakes when the trailer doesn't have weight on it as soon as I touch the brakes. It's not as bad with the weight of the boat on the trailer, but still an issue. Is there a solution to this other than having to dial my gain way down every time I'm on the boat ramp?

Ryan

I'm not a trailer expert but the gain is just that...gain that you manually set. So with no load it still thinks there is so applies the brakes accordingly. Not sure the weight of your boat but more importantly what you are towing with but I leave my trailer unplugged when getting it wet and this isn't an issue. As soon as I pull up the ramp and out of the way strapping it down I plug it back in.

Is this something that just started happening or has it always been this way ? A few possibilities come to mind.

1) The brake controller in your pick up is not a proportional unit. If it is a time delayed unit, it will activate the brakes at a predetermined time and intensity once the brake is pressed in the tow vehicle.

2) The controller unit is faulty.

3) There are different trailer actuators and they need to be compatible with the tow vehicle's controller.

Is this something that just started happening or has it always been this way ? A few possibilities come to mind.

1) The brake controller in your pick up is not a proportional unit. If it is a time delayed unit, it will activate the brakes at a predetermined time and intensity once the brake is pressed in the tow vehicle.

2) The controller unit is faulty.

3) There are different trailer actuators and they need to be compatible with the tow vehicle's controller.

It is proportional and works as it should on level ground. Problem is when I apply brakes backing down the steep boat ramp the controller interprets this as heavier braking than what is actually happening. Not super keen on disconnecting the brakes on the ramp incase traction is bad, but it's almost undriveable without the boat on the trailer as I back it in to retrieve the boat.

My aluminum boat trailer does the same thing when it is empty because it weighs so much less. I just turn the controller down.

Back