Electric downrigger plug ins

Mike_W

My Scotty plug ins always seem to corrode I was wondering what others do to prevent this?
I was thinking some dielectric grease might help?

Thanks
Mike

mine are wired into independent breakers. they are mounted upsidedown and sort of out of the rain and spray. current is always there but i don't have any corrosion.

My Scotty plug ins always seem to corrode I was wondering what others do to prevent this?
I was thinking some dielectric grease might help?

Thanks
Mike

You did not say what style plug you have. The new style are much better and corrode less. It is an easy upgrade if you have old style plugs found on older riggers.

You did not say what style plug you have. The new style are much better and corrode less. It is an easy upgrade if you have old style plugs found on older riggers.

I believe they are the newer double prong style!!

Any of the scotty plugs corrode after a couple seasons, and theyre approx 40$ each. I refuse to pay that so I use spade connectors with grease. When they corrode, snip em' off and put new ones on. Cheap. And, when youre in a 'panic' situation and you need it to come up right now, theres no wiggling the plug to get it to work.

Mine are mounted under the gunnels and they don't get wet. Every couple of years I will clean them up and spray them with corosion block.

Any of the scotty plugs corrode after a couple seasons, and theyre approx 40$ each. I refuse to pay that so I use spade connectors with grease. When they corrode, snip em' off and put new ones on. Cheap. And, when youre in a 'panic' situation and you need it to come up right now, theres no wiggling the plug to get it to work.

$40 bucks is shocking, changed over 3 DR's and the Ace hauler... $140 for plugs... what!!!

mine are upside down up under the gunnels, light dielectric grease, striped and cleaned once a year. Seems to work OK, 4 oldstyle plugs in 7 years. heavy gauge wire feeding them, not sure if that is adding to the life.

mine are upside down up under the gunnels, light dielectric grease, striped and cleaned once a year. Seems to work OK, 4 oldstyle plugs in 7 years. heavy gauge wire feeding them, not sure if that is adding to the life.

I think you are on to something there: 30 amps on a trap hauler so 12 ga. wire is about right, for up to 10' runs. Resistance heating can accelerate corrosion.
An electrician turned me on to No-oxid grease, although there are other conductive greases. It conducts (rather than insulates - as dielectric does), it will not melt and run, no damage to rubber (petroleum greases can) stops seizing, corrosion and galling. I squeeze a small amount into the female connections and it seems to work well. (I use it on trailer plugs, terminal and spade connections, too). No problems. Any grease that prevents corrosion by keeping the moisture out is sure better than nothing.

An electrician turned me on to No-oxid grease, although there are other conductive greases.

Penetrox and Noalox are two of the most common oxide inhibitors in the electrical industry. Can be found at the Home Despot. Both work exceptionally well, although they are better suited to permanent connections. I find Penetrox to be a little thicker, so it binds better.If you use this product, be sure to lightly abrade the conductors to remove any oxidation that may have already occurred.(do not abrade tinned wires unless really ugly!)
I prefer dielectric grease for my DR plugs as I unplug them whenever not in use. Easy to apply, and easy to clean off.Also lubricates better than anti-oxidizing compounds.

Resistance heating is generally not an issue unless conductor temperatures swing radically.Most wire and fittings have a min.temperature rating of 60 degrees centigrade. The expansion and contraction caused by heat does more damage to the physical properties of a connection,which in turn weakens the connection and makes it vulnerable to corrosion(the introduction of oxygen to the conductor).
I personally have #10 wires feeding my Downriggers, as sustained loads over 20amps will increase the heat generated within the conductor. But then I am a little anal when it comes to electrical. #12 will be fine in shorter lengths.

Back