Egg bearing shrimp release?

Bugs

As I read the regs the requirement to release egg bearing females is specific to prawn (read spot prawn) and does not extend to the various shrimp species that are sometimes encountered in traps (coon stripe shrimp, dock shrimp and pink shrimp). This would make sense as the commercial fishery for shrimp harvests egg bearing females. Do others agree on this interpretation?

Im not clear about the release of berried shrimp other than prawns but would do it just as a matter of principle. Are you targeting different shrimp than prawns? I’d like to try to give it a try myself but I’ve looked for info on fishing for other species and it’s pretty scant.

Im not clear about the release of berried shrimp other than prawns but would do it just as a matter of principle. Are you targeting different shrimp than prawns? I’d like to try to give it a try myself but I’ve looked for info on fishing for other species and it’s pretty scant.
I've caught tons of shrimp off bowen in the regular prawn areas. Just hit the muddy flats outside of the prawn spots.

I've caught tons of shrimp off bowen in the regular prawn areas. Just hit the muddy flats outside of the prawn spots.

Like RC said. Try the muddy bottoms. We threw back at least a hundred coon stripes yesterday as we were targeting spot prawns. Lots of the coon stripes were berried up but only 2 of the spot prawns had berries. There out There! You just have to find them. And yes I would just throw back all shrimp/prawns with berries. I did it even before it was regulation.

Attachments

• 20211219_124451.jpg
    20211219_124451.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 135
Thanks for the info. I must be the hagfish king because the only other thing Ive caught besides prawns is hagfish. Except that one time I got two pacific cod.

Back