East side of Quadra Island

fishhawk8

Hi all, hoping that someone might point me in the right direction and give me a few clues as to how to fish this area as I've never been around to that side before.

I'm planning on staying in Heriot Bay for the upcoming long weekend and was planning to do a little fishing in that area. My boat is a 17.5 Campion. Is this safe water for that size of boat? I realize that Surge Narrows is just north of there and they probably don't call it that for nothing,;) so I'm thinking it would be wise to avoid that area. Years ago, I remember hearing that the fishing could be good off of Rebecca Spit. Is that still applicable? Don't hear much of that anymore.

What about crossing over to Cortes Island and fishing the south end? Or should I just fish the south end of Quadra. Any help would be appreciated as I don't know these waters very well, although I have fished the Cambell River side of Quadra most often.

Thanks,
George

Seafood, eat it, then catch more.

Haven't fished it for years, but Cortes wasn't bad - near bottom off the small island on the cortes side of the Plunger Pass entrance, off the island at the entrance to Coulter Bay (30-50'), and alongside Reed Island as well - we were always jiggers in the area (few locals trolled). May also find some coho in the kelp beds around the entrance Plunger as well. I know Marina reef/twin islands was also good, but I never strayed that way and can't comment about where to go.

If you really want to get into fish though, you are probably best boating around Quadra and getting up past Seymour Narrows.

I also know of several great cod/snapper holes (in the days)..may still be good, may be dead sea by now - tell me if that interests...

Thanks Deewar, definately interested and will explore all those scenarios. I also saw Tyee Marines report today http://www.tyeemarine.com/reports.asp and it looks promising, as well.

BTW, good to see everything panned out for your derby on Saturday. Congrats on the funds raised for the hatchery, very impressive. I would definately like to participate in this function next year, if tix are available.

George

Seafood, eat it, then catch more.

thanks FH...weather was definitely a blessing - as for tickets, it is a private event, so either get a job at an engineering firm in town, donate minimum gold level sponsorship, or hope that we are short of skippers for next year - that's the only way to get tickets to it.

Back to Quadra thou - you may want a go at the tyee pool as well while you are there - definitely a different fishery - a 16 ounze weight and a big ol plug with your fingers crossed while the sea of black swims underneath you and jumps around you. Just make sure you are south of the boat ramp.

You won't have any problem in an 18' boat as long as the weather doesn't blow you off the water. Even then, you can find sheltered areas most everywhere with the exception of crossing back into Heriot bay from Read Island.
There's been a few fish coming out of Teakerne Arm, as well as "The Hump" south of Quadra. If you go to the north end, Green Sea area and Nodales channel have also produced the odd fish.
Good luck, hope the weather smartens up for us for the weekend.

DEEWAR25,,, I hope you are just kidding about that 16 oz sinker!! lol. Regs clearly state no more then 6oz sinkers may be used. maybe just a typo?? Tight Lines,.....BB

lol...yeah, was thinking about it after I posted...16 was what I used to use in Malcolm...haven't done that fishery for like 4 years, so I was a little rusty, but yes, I was by the book back then - 6 sounds right!

What will the fishing be like around Quadra Island Thankgiving weekend Oct 10, 11, 12, 13. What is around at that time.

Are they any good launch facilities on Quadra Island? Looking to get to the Browns Bay Area? Granite Bay????

cby

Back