Early season trip recommendations?

N2013

Any recommendations for an early season (last two weeks of May window) trip to the west coast of the island? Two nights on the hook, flexible to pick the days for a favourable weather window. Thinking Barkley or Nootka, but not familiar with either. Would like to get some salmon, can always scratch up some bottom fish. Comfortable with poking offshore a little ways in good water.

Read the archived reports from past years. I like both.
Perhaps a slight exaggeration, but you'll need almost a full day to get in and another to get out of Nootka, but only half days for Barkley, leaving more time to fish.

Any recommendations for an early season (last two weeks of May window) trip to the west coast of the island? Two nights on the hook, flexible to pick the days for a favourable weather window. Thinking Barkley or Nootka, but not familiar with either. Would like to get some salmon, can always scratch up some bottom fish. Comfortable with poking offshore a little ways in good water.
If you can find a good weather window that matches up with your available dates, the end of May can be really hot at Nootka in all the normal spots around the corner from the lighthouse. That is when the first runs of what is often thought to be Columbia River fish start coming through the area. Bottom fishing can also be really good, as they haven't been hit hard yet. Good luck if you do go...

I would say Nootka could have better salmon fishing that time if you hit the run of Columbia’s right. Like was mentioned above depending on where you’re coming from Barkley could be a quicker in and out leaving more time or options for the time window you have though. I would hit Nootka if I had a week or more and was looking for a few days in that window that I could get out.

only problem with Nootka that time of year is if it’s sporty you’re pretty much not getting off shore to get white meat, you got same boat as me and anything over 1.5 m is just to nasty and close together breaking waves. and there’s no salmon inside that time of year.last year we went late June and water was still fairly big.

Rocky Point Charters in Bamfield!! Great accommodations and excellent work ethic. Always somewhere to fish in Barkley Sound.

Barkley Sound can be fantastic in May. Last year during the May Long Weekend and the week after it was on fire. Calm protected waters, easy to get to, fish skinng gs and glow white hootchies. A no-brainer as far as I'm concerned!

Barkley is the safer bet for weather. There are lots of USA bound fish around in late May. I like around the surf line Austin area. If it’s windy you can fish around Kirby or Bamfield. Lingcod in the sound if you can’t get offshore for Halibut.

Barkley is the safer bet for weather. There are lots of USA bound fish around in late May. I like around the surf line Austin area. If it’s windy you can fish around Kirby or Bamfield. Lingcod in the sound if you can’t get offshore for Halibut.
Can’t go wrong with Barkley - late May to mid September
Stosh

Last edited:
Barkley Sound can be fantastic in May. Last year during the May Long Weekend and the week after it was on fire. Calm protected waters, easy to get to, fish skinng gs and glow white hootchies. A no-brainer as far as I'm concerned!

Is there spring retention that time of year? Would like to get to Bamfield in May myself, planning to stay at Poett Nook just wondering if it's usually targetting lingcod or salmon is an option too

Is there spring retention that time of year? Would like to get to Bamfield in May myself, planning to stay at Poett Nook just wondering if it's usually targetting lingcod or salmon is an option too
Inshore is open. Offshore is closed for salmon. We’ve always been able to get limits in a weekend in may

Barkley gives you more options if the weather is garbage. More places to hide that are still productive fishing than Nootka. More anchorage options in Barkley as well. Outer surfline fishery can be good in both locations at that time of year, but Barkley gives you the "backup" inside fishery.

Yes. There are no restrictions inside the surf line. Out in the big water it's springs are closed till July 15.

Looking like probably Barkley Sound. Hopefully later into May but I’d like to avoid May Long like the plague. If I can get out there early enough on Friday, it might not be so bad.

Back