Early Halibut Opening

I find it hard to believe the average weights in area 12 and more so in 13/14. Average weight is 23# in 12 and 51# in 13/14. The rest of the coast is way less

Clear as mud. Thank you!
Take the weight from any area divide it by the pieces and walla, average weight. There's no way areas 12 and 13 14 are correct.

I need to ask the stupid question,
How does the dfo come up with these total piece #'s
Wife and I hadn't kept a hali last 6yrs (until a few weeks ago)

We used 94-95% of last years TAC which is pretty bang on when trying to stay under.
You trust DFOs math????!!!!! then I have a bridge for you to buy give me a few g notes down ok.
This is another deach by a 1000 cuts once again. My prediction is we are going to have so much left over,you watch in sept they are gonna say BY THEIR MATH oh we are way under again this system is a joke and so flawed.

I've said before... Fishing license should be like a hunting license where you buy tags for each species. Then we know how many anglers are fishing for each species. Right now I believe part of their guestimate calculations are based on number of licenses sold and assume everyone is catching their limit of hali and counting that against us. I don't believe it comes from any math of how many fish were caught.

Looks like they amended the wording: "The daily and possession limit for halibut is EITHER of: one (1) halibut measuring 90 cm to 133 cm in length (69 cm to 102 cm head-off), OR two (2) halibut, each measuring under 90 cm in length (69 cm head-off) . . . . "

Looks like they amended the wording: "The daily and possession limit for halibut is EITHER of: one (1) halibut measuring 90 cm to 133 cm in length (69 cm to 102 cm head-off), OR two (2) halibut, each measuring under 90 cm in length (69 cm head-off) . . . . "

Hi eroyd, Did you copy and paste this from the Tables for the DFO website. If yes, read the next sentence, as it states that the max size head on is 126cm. There is a second box in the same table that repeats this. Looks like they have info in this that's from the latest FN where it says the max is 126cm and from the FN from last year in April where we were allowed 2 unders or one over to a max of 133cm. Below is what I just copied and pasted from their table. The first and second sentences conflict. They both can't be right. I have an email in asking for clarification. Usually any amendments come out in the form of a new Fisheries Notice but haven't seen anything yet.

The daily and possession limit for halibut is EITHER of: one (1) halibut measuring 90 cm to 133 cm in length (69 cm to 102 cm head-off), OR two (2) halibut, each measuring under 90 cm in length (69 cm head-off). No person shall retain a halibut greater than 126 cm head-on length (97 cm head-off). Head-off measurements are made from the base of the pectoral fin at its most forward point to the extreme end of the middle of the tail.

Yes, confusing hey? They either can't make up their minds or are incompetent. I read it as two fish a day under 90cm. Haven't looked this morning. ha ha. Enough to confuse a Judge, never mind Joe fisherman.

Yes, confusing hey? They either can't make up their minds or are incompetent. I read it as two fish a day under 90cm. Haven't looked this morning. ha ha. Enough to confuse a Judge, never mind Joe fisherman.
I think they have a few conflicting Regs out there, not to mention poorly written and confusing. I suspect a lot of these would get tossed in court given the amount of ambiguity and conflicting info. Maybe they are being written in French and we are reading the translation lol.

I just heard back from the Fishery coordinator who confirmed that the info in the table is wrong and the last fishery notice is correct. So daily is one only up to a max of 126 cm. Possession (multi day trip) is two under 90cm or 1 over.

When I check the regs, its quite clear. (See below)
Daily limit is one, either over or under AND Possession is two under or one over.

HalibutCoastwideSeason PlanningHalibut: The recreational halibut fishery continues April 1, 2023 under the 2023/24 Conditions of Licence, and is expected to continue until December 31 2023. Non-residents of Canada wishing to fish and retain halibut in Areas 121, 23 and 123, must obtain their licence from a licence vendor in Canada - view: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/licence-permis/iap-fai-eng.html; that is, a licence purchased directly over the internet by a non-resident is not valid for halibut fishing in these areas.
CoastwideReminderThe daily limit for halibut is one (1) and possession limit is EITHER of: one (1) halibut measuring 90 cm to 126 cm in length (69 cm to 97 cm head-off), OR two (2) halibut, each measuring under 90 cm in length (69 cm head-off) No person shall retain a halibut greater than 126 cm head-on length (97 cm head-off). Head-off measurements are made from the base of the pectoral fin at its most forward point to the extreme end of the middle of the tail.
25,125Maximum Length Head On (cm)126 cm The maximum overall length for halibut is 126 cm head-on, or 97 cm head-off.

Yes, I agree. Quite clear when they word it right.

What eroyd and I copied and posted this morning was from the table that was updated yesterday. It was wrong and the coordinator said that the correction had been made to the table and we would see it later today or tomorrow so sounds like you got the update.

The whole system is a guesstimate. Sometimes accurate and sometimes not accurate. I’ll agree with you on that.
Agreed. The methodology can produce some error, especially if the sample of actual Creel observed fish (weight calculated by length) is captured by a small sample of a few larger fish landed than the average size multiplied across the iREC reported or over-flight numbers/catch. I'm no longer an expert on Campbell River (Area 13) having moved from there in 1997 - but in the day, the hali we did encounter tended to be larger average. As for Area 12, they get a larger grade based on one of my guide buddies who has been operating in Hardy for many years. As I'm sure most experienced halibut fishers are well aware, the type of habitat available in certain areas can significantly influence the size of halibut you normally encounter, so its not unexpected there will be some areas that produce differing average sizes.

Size reported into the creel can also be influenced by slot size regulations - people shifting to habitat that produces smaller average fish so they can stay under a slot limit. Or in other areas where the cost of flying out larger fish is prohibitive - so they target different areas that produce smaller fish. We certainly noticed a shift in the average size from some areas on the North Coast over the years - and that really had nothing to do with large fish don't live up there.

Then there is simply avoiding Yellow Eye bycatch - avoid the rock piles and fish the sand flats. Different size halibut on the sand flats.

Last edited:
Just reading posts on a different site and a lot of people seem to be under the impression they can keep 2 under 90 as a daily limit. I posted the reg that says daily limit is only one either over or under and the option of two only kicks in for possession limit, many don’t buy it. I’m guessing there is a lot of confusion out there.

Just reading posts on a different site and a lot of people seem to be under the impression they can keep 2 under 90 as a daily limit. I posted the reg that says daily limit is only one either over or under and the option of two only kicks in for possession limit, many don’t buy it. I’m guessing there is a lot of confusion out there.
I've seen a lot of guide photos out of Bamfield that are leading me to come to that conclusion as well.

Back