Early Halibut Opening

I just received this email from DFO.............

Daily Limit:
The possession limit for halibut is EITHER of: one (1) halibut measuring 90 cm to 133 cm in length (69 cm to 102 cm head-off), OR
two (2) halibut, each measuring under 90 cm in length (69 cm head-off).

No person shall retain a halibut greater than 133 cm head-on length (102 cm head-off). Head-off measurements are made from the base of the pectoral fin at its most forward point to the extreme end of the middle of the tail.

Possession Limit:
The maximum number of fish you can have in your possession at any given time, except for what is at your ordinary residence.
As per the regulations highlighted above, your possession limit for more than 1 day would be either:

2 Halibut over 90 cm or 4 all under the size of 90cm.

Edward Panis
Fisheries and Oceans Canada/Government of Canada
Edward.Panis@dfo-mpo.gc.ca / Tel: 604-666-1704
Pêches et Océans Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
Print that out and keep on board. That does not match what I see on DFO site right now. Maybe it will be updated April 1 when new license comes out?
Weak that DFO site is so hard to navigate and is not kept updated and clear.

I just received this email from DFO.............

Daily Limit:
The possession limit for halibut is EITHER of:

No person shall retain a halibut greater than 133 cm head-on length (102 cm head-off). Head-off measurements are made from the base of the pectoral fin at its most forward point to the extreme end of the middle of the tail.

Possession Limit:
The maximum number of fish you can have in your possession at any given time, except for what is at your ordinary residence.
As per the regulations highlighted above, your possession limit for more than 1 day would be either:

2 Halibut over 90 cm or 4 all under the size of 90cm.

Edward Panis
Fisheries and Oceans Canada/Government of Canada
Pêches et Océans Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
This email is even more confusing. If the Daily Limit is truly 2 under 90cm or 1 over then what the DFO guy noted under the Daily Limit should not say anything about the possession limit in that statement. They are not the same. It should read, "The Daily Limit is Either of: one (1) halibut measuring 90 cm to 133 cm in length (69 cm to 102 cm head-off), OR two (2) halibut, each measuring under 90 cm in length (69 cm head-off). (No mention of possession limit in this statement)

As one DFO said to me last year, "using possession limit when talking about Daily Limit will only get you in trouble." The latest notice I could find is as mentioned in previous post, FN0100. Daily Limit (1).

If someone has an update official notice from DFO that make sense please share it. In their table that I found yesterday the limits shows 1/2/10. (Daily/ Possession /Yearly). This is what was on the board as Pedder Bay last week as well. I have no problem trying to get two under 90cm but their documents so far doesn't say that.

Sorry, me again, but this thing bugs me.
"
I found the table I was referring too. It shows Daily limit as 1 and Possession Limit as 2. It also notes to "See Restrictions." The second part is the restriction. It explains the possession limit. I'm only guessing here but it seems that the DFO guy that sent the email just copied this and pasted it under Daily Limit which is not correct.

My last 2 cents,,,,maybe

Newf

Halibut20Hook and Line, Spear1/2/10Open (See Restrictions)

HalibutCoastwideReminderThe possession limit for halibut is EITHER of: one (1) halibut measuring 90 cm to 133 cm in length (69 cm to 102 cm head-off), OR two (2) halibut, each measuring under 90 cm in length (69 cm head-off). No person shall retain a halibut greater than 133 cm head-on length (102 cm head-off). Head-off measurements are made from the base of the pectoral fin at its most forward point to the extreme end of the middle of the tail.

is that new for this year because the possession limit online notice says

Limits and sizes:

Effective at 00:01 hours February 1, 2023 until March 31, 2023:

The daily limit is one (1) halibut per day.

The possession limit for halibut is EITHER of:

---- one (1) halibut measuring 90 cm to 133 cm in length (69 cm to 102 cm head-off),

OR

---- two (2) halibut, each measuring under 90 cm in length (69 cm head-off).

No person shall retain a Halibut greater than 133 cm head-on length (102 cm head-off).

That is the correct notice. We have never been able to have those possession limits as was mentioned above. This thread bugs me as someone is going to read it and get a fine.

Obviously a mistake by staff of DFO in above e-mail.

Last edited:
The email wasn't an official notice. I subscribe to the notices as well and this was not one of them. I think it's someone in DFO responding to a question with his own opinion or interpretation of what the official notice says and it's certainly not what's in his email nor is it what I've been told previously by two DFO's on the water. Not saying that they didn't intended for us to be allowed 2 under 90cm per day, just that their notices are not saying that and would have to be reworded differently if we are allowed 2. (IMO)

The only fisher's that need to be concerned are those on multi day trips.
For those people it's 2 in possession under 90 cm or 1 over.
For the average day trip guy it's one under 133 cm.
That's the way I understand the regulation.
I don't fish for Hali often, almost never, but I thought they changed it and made the daily the limit and the possession limit the same. Or was that just further up the WC? Wasn't it 3 unders or 1 over late last season?

The regulation say
The possession limit is the number of halibut you may have in you possession at any given time.
1 90 - 133 cm or 2 under cm
but they then go on to say
"your possession limit for more than one day would be either 2 over 90cm or 4 under 90
and it is coast wide.
When I fish Renfrew and get a halibut the first day and one more the second day, I will be bringing them both home on the third day.

Last edited by a moderator:
You keep two over 90? On your trip ?
I can only assume I will be legal (thought I was last year) as the regs clearly say
Possession limit for more than one day is 2 halibut over 90c,
the bigger problem is catching 2 over 90 .

I don't fish for Hali often, almost never, but I thought they changed it and made the daily the limit and the possession limit the same. Or was that just further up the WC? Wasn't it 3 unders or 1 over late last season?
You are correct on how it was worded but that was on a Fisheries Notice for last year after April 1st and then 3 unders but later in the year. I have it in a saved email somewhere.

Trying to catch the one per day that I’m allowed right now. 😂

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 19
In the hunting world, possession and daily limit are two different things. Perhaps the regulations could be written so you don't have to be a computer whiz to find them or a lawyer to understand them! The confusion above is amongst experience fishers. Imagine the mess among newbies or ESL folks.

This is copied from last years FN0251. Possession was only 1 over 90cm

Effective April 1, 2022 until December 31, 2022:
The daily and possession limit for Halibut is EITHER of:
---- one (1) Halibut measuring 90 cm to 133 cm in length (69 cm to 102 cm head-off),
OR
---- two (2) Halibut, each measuring under 90 cm in length (69 cm head-off).

I can only assume I will be legal (thought I was last year) as the regs clearly say
Possession limit for more than one day is 2 halibut over 90c,
the bigger problem is catching 2 over 90 .
I stand corrected!!!
and guilty but not caught last year. (not guilty as there were 2 of us)
The possession limit is one days catch even for multi days when transporting your fish.
Confirmed by a lovely lady at DFO
HalibutCoastwideReminderThe possession limit for halibut is EITHER of: one (1) halibut measuring 90 cm to 133 cm in length (69 cm to 102 cm head-off), OR two (2) halibut, each measuring under 90 cm in length (69 cm head-off). No person shall retain a halibut greater than 133 cm head-on length (102 cm head-off). Head-off measurements are made from the base of the pectoral fin at its most forward point to the extreme end of the middle of the tail.

The confusion seems to stem from the Salmon regs. that say Possession limit is twice the daily limit. Why it should be different for Halibut only DFO know for sure. I am ok with halibut possession limit as it helps keep our tac down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back