Early Bird Ticket Night

porcupine

Island Outfitters will be having their annual Early Bird Ticket Night for the 16th Annual Just for the Halibut Derby on Tuesday, March 27th. The location is the same as in other years, the Six Mile Pub in View Royal, and the festivities will start at 6 PM.

So whats going to happen if/when they introduce this 1 over 1 under rule??? do they plan on making it a 1 day derby???cause the way i read it you cant keep 2 big fish in 2 days?????just asking Tom???

correct me if i'm wrong
as long as there is only 1 fish in possesion each day, it's not a problem, the way i understand it.
the day tripper won't be affected as much as those that fish over an extended time.

Guess we will have to wait and SEE what they plan on doing hey!!!!

So whats going to happen if/when they introduce this 1 over 1 under rule??? do they plan on making it a 1 day derby???cause the way i read it you cant keep 2 big fish in 2 days?????just asking Tom???

New rule will come April 1,2012 if DFO accepts what was recommended by SFAB.
GLG

Guess we will have to wait and SEE what they plan on doing hey!!!!

I agree we'll have to wait and see. I don't think the derby will ever go to one day though. Many anglers can only fish one of the two days, and you have to have options because of the weather.

What does it matter Roy ? 99% of the People are day trippers. So doesn't make a difference.

And if there's 3 or 4 guys per boat it doesn't mean everybody is going to get 4 large each day. No prob at all!

TRUE im sick and sooo tired of this couching!!!!! coughed so hard popped out a rib and had to go see a crio to put it back in.

But have to ask how you can hold a 2 day derby when you can only keep 1 big fish im not trying to stir it up at all . but if I have clients who want to go in this derby and day 1 we by by chance get 4 halibut say between 30 to 50 lbs which can happen then there done for the derby!!
"legally" I cant weigh in another fish for them for day 2 as the format as you know in the past bumps out you smaller fish. I think its a question that really needs to be addressed as it fringes on these guys coming out???

I really hope that it does go down that road especially for my freinds who do the renny and ukie thing , im thinking its a dumb rule ....

As long as your clients go home they can have one over each day.
The weigh in should be no problem, they can still have one over for both days
If they are away from their residence, the trick comes with transporting it.
Not sure how you get around that ?

Thats the problem they cant keep one over the next day that the problem unless im reading it wrong???

SFAB Recommendation: One Normal/One Under - Two in Possession

In the interests of ensuring a full season, the SFAB has recommended a fishing plan based on one fish per day, two in possession with one fish being of any size and the other being 83 cm. or less (approximately 15 lbs.). It is estimated that this approach would allow the recreational season to run from March 1 until December 31, 2012. DFO has expressed confidence in the numbers and we are optimistic that this will help protect the remainder of the 2012 season of halibut fishing from in season closure.

To be clear, asking to employ a management measure to reduce the rate and amount of our catch is a position that no one in the recreational sector would like to be in but by the same token, against the prospect of uncertainty and in season closure, it is fortunate that we can make the most out of the poor hand we have been dealt.

im just asking cause what good is a 2 day event if this comes down im just really concerned thats all

I think they can weigh in a big one each day, if i remember correctly the winner becomes property of the derby anyway.

Mike its time you take that negative energy and put it towards something positive ,there looking for new members for the SFAB as we speak perhaps you and others on the this site can change it around for all of us,,Lets hope

Isn't the SFAB recommendation only a recommendation at this time. Who knows what DFO will come up with, so why worry about it until something is posted by DFO.

Everyone knows DFO will make their own scientific decision or an Ottawa decision.

Hopefully the decision is based on a scientific facts and isn't based on a recommendation from a wealthy back bencher group supporting the Minister in power. Something like what was happening with the last DFO Minister who in my opinion acted as a puppet to her finical supporter. Luckily she got booted or we would have never got the additional 3%.

Yes Steve I agree I am full of negative energy can't help it with all that is going on. Do you think that this 15 lb rule is for the better? I can't for the life of me figure it out. Yes i know people are running a business to live on but in my opinion I think a lot of fish are going to get dragged up and manhandled just to be put back dead. As you had stated earlier about the experience so why not keep it as is, you get in touch with your clients and say if halibut is a first pick book for the early season then for your later guests have fun with springs, monster northerns and whale shows etc. Then no high grading, the average joe who owns a boat can still fish as he likes and not go out and run 50+ miles to catch a 15 lb fish. As for joining the SFAB i would probably get kicked out of the first meeting because I am so pissed at this :) Off to hawaii next week so hopefully will be more relaxed when I get back.

What if those clients that have already booked for August can't change their dates?

Kenny's posts point out a scenario that is common regarding the farmers as well as other business people and people that can only get their holidays booked many months in advance.

Sorry to side track the thread Tom, but does anyone know if this will extend the season
or is the regulation intended to protect the larger mature breeders ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its intended to prolong the halibut season,,You know as well as i do Mike that the average Joe will do the same with halibut as he does with salmon once his limit is meet he will head home unload and come back and do it again,maybe short 1 halibut maybe not but he will be back to do it all over again,nobody ias happy with the tac,direct your frustration towards fisheries and make changes,or go fishing and adapt

Back