Dummy Flashers with spoons and plugs

High Time

Crew Member
I have used 8" dummy flashers with good results on sockeye and pinks but just starting to play with using them with spoons and plugs for chinooks. Any suggestions regarding size,(8"-11"),location from ball,length of leader to flasher,spoons,plugs. Spacing above to lure clip, etc. etc. All thoughts appreciated.

I use 4-5' of gangion between 11" flasher and ball. Then run release clip 4'-5' up with a long release clip. Clip on about 3' above the swivel

I like the inline style flashers, like the Agitator or Shortbus flashers, for dummies - lots of flash, track straight and less drag so less blow-back. Similar to above, about 4ft of 15olb mono (for the stiffness to avoid fouling on the drop) to good ball bearing snap swivel for attaching to ball.

Cheers!

Ukee

You don't want tangled gear.

Plugs really need 30ft+ back from the release to work properly.

Dummy flashers need to be close to the attach point 6 ft or so.

For lures, closer to the dummy flasher is better like 10 ft or so.

The size & rotating nature of the dummy will determine the frequency of vibrations, which PROBABLY matters. I tend to like UkeeDreamin's suggestion.

I would prioritize the above criteria in the order given.

You don't want tangled gear.

Plugs really need 30ft+ back from the release to work properly.

Dummy flashers need to be close to the attach point 6 ft or so.

For lures, closer to the dummy flasher is better like 10 ft or so.

The size & rotating nature of the dummy will determine the frequency of vibrations, which PROBABLY matters. I tend to like UkeeDreamin's suggestion.

I would prioritize the above criteria in the order given.

Ericl do u a lot of luck running the plug that far back from the flasher? I've always only put it back 5-7ft or so from the dummy. I'm new to running plugs and have had some good success as of late.

Ericl might have a different answer, but I think the reason youd run plugs further back is to allow it to dart around and "swim" a bit more erratically. If youre already catching fish on a shorter leash, I dont see a reason to change it up!

I don't bother with dummies in local fisheries other than sockeye. Usually when I'm running plugs anywhere on the coast I'm going too fast for flashers and the fish won't be homing in on my plugs. When I fish spoons without a flasher the water is usually clear enough they will home in on lots of flash being given off by the spoon. I tend to use larger spoons which din't fish well behind flashers unless I'm "speeding"... And given the tidal influences on trolling conditions around Vancouver I'll try to ditch the flashers and try to run more rods instead.

Thanks for comments. Since I fish in pretty clear water I think I will give FM,s comments a try and carpet bomb the area at a faster speed without flashers first.
Always fun to try different approaches and I would assume dummys would be useful in early,late,low light murky conditions. Rock on...

Back