Dry ice

BTW... FYI... for those processing their fish, the most important thing for quality is the fish should be both bled and gills removed. The fish should be cleaned and frozen either in a pre- or post-rigor mortis, otherwise when the fish is flexible. If during rigor mortis there will be tissue damage and reduced quality. That is what causes all those bruises and gaping in the meat you see.

And, if one doesn't cut into the meat anywhere (e.g. just bleed and gill them) they can be kept either on ice (or even in cold fresh water), without bagging them! Once the meat is exposed, you got to protect that meat from any water, that is where problems begin! :)

So Charlie.....if you are going to keep fish on ice for a couple of days (extended trip), you would just bleed and gill them while leaving the guts in?

Nope - not at all! I guess that should read - leave whole (head on), bleed, "gut," and gill! :)

Guess should also add, just for clarification... I would never let my unprotected fish set in any water either! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting info re the rigor mortis damage to the meat.

As far as water contacting the flesh, is that what can cause salmon meat to become tough? Cuz I've had a couple of really tough fish over the years and always wondered why. Guess I'm way off topic here... sorry.

Back