Driving an EV pickup

Today I did an oil change on the Silverado in the work fleet, my former daily driver. A jug of 0W20 and a filter cost a hundo with tax. Then I filled the tank as it was near empty, 85L @$1.70 = $145. Jeez I do not miss this. What I just spent in consumables would run the Lightning for 3 months.

Looking forward to an expensive brake job on my F350. Getting oil changes at Mr lube and putting off going in for what sounded like a worn pad, almost really cost me more than money. Thankfully Prospect Lake Autocare saved the day. Got me a loaner and apparently the owner is a big fisherman. Might be paying for a trip to critter Cove for him but their service lady took care of us. Be interesting to see how long regen braking lasts on trucks that haul campers and boats. Oil changes are cheap, but a neusance compared to brake jobs and filling the tank!

Looking forward to an expensive brake job on my F350. Getting oil changes at Mr lube and putting off going in for what sounded like a worn pad, almost really cost me more than money. Thankfully Prospect Lake Autocare saved the day. Got me a loaner and apparently the owner is a big fisherman. Might be paying for a trip to critter Cove for him but their service lady took care of us. Be interesting to see how long regen braking lasts on trucks that haul campers and boats. Oil changes are cheap, but a neusance compared to brake jobs and filling the tank!
Yeah oil changes are cheap in the context of annual km driven, about a cent per km for that Chev (synthetic is expensive but lasts 12,500 km).

As far as regen for heavier duty service, is there a limit? Look at the Edison guys in Merritt, 100,000 lb loaded rigs using regen to make them the safest logging trucks out there.

You have to feel regen for yourself before you really get it. I've never had this much precision when descending steep grades while loaded up. Towing the boat up the Apex road was super cool with all that torque coming out of hairpin curves, but coming back down was a revelation. It's exactly the same as on the flat, just use the accelerator to adjust speed.

Today I did an oil change on the Silverado in the work fleet, my former daily driver. A jug of 0W20 and a filter cost a hundo with tax. Then I filled the tank as it was near empty, 85L @$1.70 = $145. Jeez I do not miss this. What I just spent in consumables would run the Lightning for 3 months.
I think you can get a 2-pack of 5L 0W20 jugs from Costco for $50. They were on sale a while back for I think $30? I grabbed a couple

Had trouble finding the link to this article that was sent to me but here’s a couple of screen shots

Attachments

• IMG_1165.png
    IMG_1165.png
    418.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1164.png
    IMG_1164.png
    358 KB · Views: 28
From what I read, almost every OEM making EVs isn't making money on them, and Tesla is slashing prices (and profits) to compete. This is with government subsidies to boot! Now demand is collapsing which has made it even harder for the OEMs to make a buck on EVs. A tough road ahead.

Battery prices are not much of an excuse for automakers in the near future, battery prices are expected to drop another 40% by 2025. Tesla is likely the best at keeping their battery cost down due to their close relationships with suppliers. Hopefully the lightning will have a longer range/faster charging and more affordable battery. Sly’s experience on charging doesn't sound too bad, as I go to pick up my F350 and check my credit card limit! If PP gets in power in 2025 and cuts the EV subsidy hopefully the manufactures will have gotten costs under control.

Battery prices are not much of an excuse for automakers in the near future, battery prices are expected to drop another 40% by 2025. Tesla is likely the best at keeping their battery cost down due to their close relationships with suppliers. Hopefully the lightning will have a longer range/faster charging and more affordable battery. Sly’s experience on charging doesn't sound too bad, as I go to pick up my F350 and check my credit card limit! If PP gets in power in 2025 and cuts the EV subsidy hopefully the manufactures will have gotten costs under control.

If PP gets in our fishing opportunities will increase and gas prices will drop among other things

Demand is also crashing in non EVs, auto has always been cyclical
My son is in the bicycle business. All the brands are over produced right now. Trek is slashing their SKU'S by half and Kona is on the ropes, every other major brand is making major adjustments. It only makes sense that the auto industry is in similar circumstances.

From what I read, almost every OEM making EVs isn't making money on them, and Tesla is slashing prices (and profits) to compete. This is with government subsidies to boot! Now demand is collapsing which has made it even harder for the OEMs to make a buck on EVs. A tough road ahead.
Demand isn't collapsing at all. EV sales are still rising year on year, just not at the near-exponential rates they were in 2020-23. The media stories about shifts being dropped and auto workers being laid off are true, but that's just the factories coming down from the ramped up max production they'd finally reached, only to have interest rates and inflation slam the door in their face.

Many are spending a 500-1000 more per month on their mortgages, that’s a car or toy payment
Try $3000 more per month!
My winery clients were doing it tough even before the back to back winter kill events. Any industry that is based on discretionary spending is having a hard time at the moment. New car and truck sales just one more.

Back