Driving an EV pickup

There a bunch of large electric delivery trucks running around Vancouver. I think Ikea has a few (I swear I saw a BYD logo, but could have been mistaken). Definitely a great application for short haul freight/delivery that have fairly low daily mileage and tons of waiting or stop-and-go in the city. Would be nice to see this in a bunch of application like garbage trucks, etc.

In 10-15 years time, if all local freight is electric and long distance freight over a certain distance (say 200km) is still diesel I think that would be great. Don't legislate diesel out of existence, just narrow the range of applications to where it works best.

There a bunch of large electric delivery trucks running around Vancouver. I think Ikea has a few (I swear I saw a BYD logo, but could have been mistaken). Definitely a great application for short haul freight/delivery that have fairly low daily mileage and tons of waiting or stop-and-go in the city. Would be nice to see this in a bunch of application like garbage trucks, etc.

In 10-15 years time, if all local freight is electric and long distance freight over a certain distance (say 200km) is still diesel I think that would be great. Don't legislate diesel out of existence, just narrow the range of applications to where it works best.
So much this. There's so many cube vans and light semis running around our metro areas every day doing regional deliveries. They can knock up 300 km in a day easily (think say East Van/Burnaby to Chilliwack and back, none of it in a straight line). They're on the arterial roads and smaller streets, rarely at the steady throttle setting/low rpm zone where combustion engines are most efficient. Lots of stop/start, loud exhaust and belching fumes, for 8-10 hours a day, after that it's parked for the night. Imagine those regional trucks running quietly and cheaply, charging overnight for like $25. Huge savings in emissions and cost, and minimal inconvenience. It could happen tomorrow if the vehicles were available.

The big intercity trucks are a different matter, those guys team drive so the engines are running 24/7. Agree, diesel is still the best choice there.

Long haul trucks seem well suited for a swapable battery system. Potential to standardize the battery bay under/behind the cab, 10 minutes at an interchange location and back on the road with fresh battery and another 500km of range

As an ex driver I agree with your suggestions of those applications

So much this. There's so many cube vans and light semis running around our metro areas every day doing regional deliveries. They can knock up 300 km in a day easily (think say East Van/Burnaby to Chilliwack and back, none of it in a straight line). They're on the arterial roads and smaller streets, rarely at the steady throttle setting/low rpm zone where combustion engines are most efficient. Lots of stop/start, loud exhaust and belching fumes, for 8-10 hours a day, after that it's parked for the night. Imagine those regional trucks running quietly and cheaply, charging overnight for like $25. Huge savings in emissions and cost, and minimal inconvenience. It could happen tomorrow if the vehicles were available.

The big intercity trucks are a different matter, those guys team drive so the engines are running 24/7. Agree, diesel is still the best choice there.

they take off the line almost instantly i was behind a electric semi and it was pulling a trailer it took off fast

1713326373791.jpeg

Experiencing B.C. private and public transit for about the second time since the pandemic. Would loved to have an autonomous ev fill in some of the schedule gaps for 6-8 hour trip from Victoria to Whistler. Didn’t calculate the price of diesel or electric for my decision to leave the truck at home, just the cost of parking in whistler and driving a vehicle on the ferry is way more than the transit options. Wifi sucks on those buses/ferry no starlink yet :( got some work done on the way but wonder what if I would have been more productive with hands free autonomous driving and good cell service. Seeing the hands free Chevy towing advertising is a little scary and a little appealing.

When you hauling the boat to be coast again?

When you hauling the boat to be coast again?
Not until mid August. Quick trip to the cabin in late May, too short to be worth the ferry cost, I'll just use the 14 ft we keep on site. Do hope to do some towing around the interior before that: Mabel Lk, Osoyoos sockeye, Little Shu, etc.

Long haul trucks seem well suited for a swapable battery system. Potential to standardize the battery bay under/behind the cab, 10 minutes at an interchange location and back on the road with fresh battery and another 500km of range
Epiroc has this going on with there underground scooptrams and haul trucks, batteries up to 576 kwh capacity. It works well for continuous operation of the equipment underground and in pits.

Epiroc has this going on with there underground scooptrams and haul trucks, batteries up to 576 kwh capacity. It works well for continuous operation of the equipment underground and in pits.
It would be interesting to see Edison the BC company doing regen braking on logging trucks help spurn the roll out of regen braking on trucks crossing the Rockies, malahat, coquihalla and highway 4 every day.

I don't think politicians should spend much more political capital bothering to further regulate the diesel trucking industry. Why try to force bleeding edge innovation into a technology where there really isn't much efficiency left to squeeze out, and is in the process of being displaced by market forces pushing toward EVs anyway. With the advent of DEF treatment over the past 10 years, the current generation of trucks are about as 'clean' as they can get - however particulate (soot) emissions, have absolutely nothing to do with CO2 emissions - so when people talk about 'clean' diesel trucks they are doing a bit of rhetorical slight-of-hand to dodge the issue of climate change.

Continue to use diesel trucks for long-haul where the current EV technology is not sufficient, and diesels happen to operate at peak efficiency. Phase in conversion to EV for short-haul.

It would be interesting to see Edison the BC company doing regen braking on logging trucks help spurn the roll out of regen braking on trucks crossing the Rockies, malahat, coquihalla and highway 4 every day.
Surely this is already part of their design? Braking under heavy loads is such a big issue for log trucks, they'd be certain to harness that kinetic energy and improve speed control on steep grades at the same time.

Surely this is already part of their design? Braking under heavy loads is such a big issue for log trucks, they'd be certain to harness that kinetic energy and improve speed control on steep grades at the same time.
Whoops, yes for Edison, no for most highway truck, I believe you need a hybrid or electrical system to store the power generated. Most commercial trucks don’t have an electric motor or storage battery, I did a quick check to see if the electric drive diesel haul trucks in mining have it and I don’t believe they do as they don’t have a big battery. There are pure electric haul trucks but I’m guessing they don’t have the hybrid battery as I believe they run on a trolly system similar to the buses in van. Edison is doing it and I assume the new electric trucks and hybrid ones will all have regen.

Last edited:
Yes, I believe this is part of the design. To add, with the logging truck use-case, they usually go up the mountain unloaded, and descend loaded, so theoretically they can regen most of the power needed to go back up a second time on the way down.

No, I believe you need a hybrid or electrical system to store the power generated. Most commercial trucks don’t have an electric motor or storage battery, I did a quick check to see if the electric drive diesel haul trucks in mining have it and I don’t believe they do as they don’t have a big battery. There are pure electric haul trucks but I’m guessing they don’t have the hybrid battery as I believe they run on a trolly system similar to the buses in van. Edison is doing it and I assume the new electric trucks and hybrid ones will all have regen.
I wasn't clear in the earlier post - I was thinking about the Edison project having regen braking.

Yes, I believe this is part of the design. To add, with the logging truck use-case, they usually go up the mountain unloaded, and descend loaded, so theoretically they can regen most of the power needed to go back up a second time on the way down.
That might almost work out. I know I definitely don't get all the power back on the descent that I used on the climb, but adding all that extra mass for the descent really would make a difference. Those logs way up on a mountainside are literally a bundle of (kinetic) energy.

Meh...minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things. Gas is 2 bucks a litre these days. Not to mention, all this EV infrastructure is still in its infancy. It can only get better from here.
Hopefully, I had to call chargepoint Sunday as one of they're chargers was being funny. Connector was stuck in the port while the display was saying its charging while the app was saying its available.

I told the guy on the phone, if this 2035 mandate is going to be feasible
There's gonna have to be chargers every 20 feet. Where he said chargepoint only builds them. It's companies and individuals who buy them and run them.

Whoops, yes for Edison, no for most highway truck, I believe you need a hybrid or electrical system to store the power generated. Most commercial trucks don’t have an electric motor or storage battery, I did a quick check to see if the electric drive diesel haul trucks in mining have it and I don’t believe they do as they don’t have a big battery. There are pure electric haul trucks but I’m guessing they don’t have the hybrid battery as I believe they run on a trolly system similar to the buses in van. Edison is doing it and I assume the new electric trucks and hybrid ones will all have regen.
My phev has regen.

Back