Driving an EV pickup

Won't spend a cent on brakes in 7 years, regenerative braking means they're hardly used. I'd expect tire wear to be a little faster, though. Heavier vehicle, plus it's so tempting to just put the right foot down often.

The only maintenance item of note in the manual is battery coolant system flush, to be performed every 10 years. Annual maintenance consists of 80-point safety check, tire rotation, check washer fluid level, and cabin air filter replacement.

Well, that was a **** poor job of talking me out of the lightning! Let's see how the day goes

If you put on a lot of KM it’s worth it, just have to make it worth white and get the use out of the battery

Well, that was a **** poor job of talking me out of the lightning! Let's see how the day goes
Did you drive it yet? You won't be able to resist after that.

no rebate on the ER though, so actually $9k up from your SR. I do drive over 20k a year, but ran my numbers on 12k to be conservative, thinking some of my longer trips might not happen w the lightning, and I might have some other changes ahead. So normal 13c hydro rate on 12k. Glad you mentioned the carbon, that’s a big one for me actually. Don’t see a way around it for the boat, but the truck is a no brainer.

A good friend designed and built a carbon fibre electric drive sailing cat (check out open waters yachts), just one example of innovation in that space. But planing fishing boats that don’t lose hydro foils to deadheads are way off is my guess.

Looking to pull the trigger on a 2023 XLT ER tomorrow for $71k plus tax. Talk me out of it someone.

For others that like to nerd out, here's my projections for 7 years ownership cost for my specific case (currently 2014 Tundra w 220000km plus 2006 Jetta, 12000km/yr). The scenarios I ran are to stick with current vehicles vs selling them both and either buying the XLT ER or waiting for a 2024 Pro. I love it when you can play w numbers until you convince yourself you will make money by selling your beaters and buying a flash new truck.

Net purchase7 years fuelRepairs/InsResaleInterestTotal $Net cost
XLT extended
56088​
2800​
0​
-43000​
9000​
24888​
-7240​
Pro
32120​
2800​
0​
-25000​
5000​
14920​
-17208​
Tundra
0​
28728​
15400​
-12000​
0​
32128​
0​
Looks like a good use case to me.

The piece I don't understand is why you don't really get the grant on a bigger battery. Those that travel more miles are the ones you want on electric vehicles as their ice vehicle footprints are larger. Offering grants to folks that don't put on miles makes less sense, and isn't the best use of tax payer dollars (less environmental benefit).

I couldn't bring myself to choke down the crazy cost of the larger battery after the loss of the grant.

My second big reason is I suspect Gen 2 will see some big improvements. A regular box for one is a sticking point for me. I'd think the base batt in the 150 will probably increase too, or the cost of the big batt will come down.

A lightning seems like a great choice if you're charging at home most of the time and can work happily within the real world range. My next new truck will be electric I suspect and allow me to drive my regular routes without range related issues. I plan to wait till Gen 2.

I suspect that the reason for setting a purchase price cap for rebates was to avoid the poor optics of owners of luxury vehicles being given back tax dollars in rebates, not to incentivise high mileage users. The govt did increase it from 60K to 70K about a year ago, but still it's an arbitrary number. The feds and the province approve vehicles model by model, according to MSRP rather than actual invoice price. So the XLT SR at $69,000 MSRP makes it under the cap, while the ER at $85,000 does not. This saves everyone the hassle of reviewing zillions of individual invoices. I can't imagine government analysing the market and setting a cap amount that deliberately included or excluded certain models. If they wanted to achieve that, they'd use different metrics than simple MSRP.

Like most things in life, it cuts both ways. Worked for me, because while the red paint job and a mobile charging cable nudged my buy price $500 over the cap, it didn't cost me the rebates. Sadly though, factory incentives and dealer price reductions don't pull the price below the cap unless Ford reduces the MSRP and posts the new price to NRCan.

My second big reason is I suspect Gen 2 will see some big improvements. A regular box for one is a sticking point for me. I'd think the base batt in the 150 will probably increase too, or the cost of the big batt will come down.

A lightning seems like a great choice if you're charging at home most of the time and can work happily within the real world range. My next new truck will be electric I suspect and allow me to drive my regular routes without range related issues. I plan to wait till Gen 2.

This is a perfectly reasonable line of thinking. There's no question that this gen 1 is the opening move in the EV truck game, just electric drive and battery crammed in between the chassis rails of a regular F150. The gen 2, known as T3 (Trust The Truck) will be a full EV "skateboard" platform, and you would expect them to offer most of the cab and box length combinations that gas F150s have now. I'd guess there'll be SUV and midsize truck options as well. Surely Ford is working hard on a battery solution that provides the optimum balance between power, recharge speed, storage capacity, weight, longevity, power output and cost. It'll almost certainly be better on most of those metrics than the pack in the current Lightning, but by how much, a lot or a little?

The short box bothered me too, but it was that or nothing. There's times now where I wish it was a foot or so longer, but that huge frunk does help, a lot more useful than I thought it would be. I keep three packout boxes of cordless tools and accessories in there more or less full time, out of the weather, away from larcenous eyes, and with charging power available right there.

Deal done, $71k XLT ER all in w bed liner and small charger. PG ford is desperate to move these off their lot, they have about a dozen more and then a bunch of Lariat SR for $66k. If someone else wants to throw down, go w Bob Cassie for an easy route to the extra dealer discount. Also stopped at Costco to grab a few EV jerry cans09DEB147-BB66-4224-96FA-5776A0637DF5.jpegCEFAD6F3-185E-47B4-97AD-69FE09630213.jpeg

Deal done, $71k XLT ER all in w bed liner and small charger. PG ford is desperate to move these off their lot, they have about a dozen more and then a bunch of Lariat SR for $66k. If someone else wants to throw down, go w Bob Cassie for an easy route to the extra dealer discount. Also stopped at Costco to grab a few EV jerry cansView attachment 104673View attachment 104672
I’d never seen the frunk! Dam nice truck. Enjoy!

Couldn’t get the work truck w Cummins diesel jumped w the noco 2000a this morning. I wondered for about a minute how I would get power out to the truck to precharge, then I remembered I was driving a lightning. When I get the dodge started I can drive it to the garage to get its catalytic converter replaced.

Back