Driving an EV pickup

Off to the ski hill yesterday, an illustration of the effect of big elevation gain/loss.

Range at departure: 168 km. Temp +2°C
Range on arrival at Apex: 90 km. Temp 0°C.
Range "consumed": 78 km
Actual distance driven: 36.2 km
Start elevation 385 m
Destination elevation 1700 m

7 hours later:
Range at departure from Apex: 86 km. Temp +1°C
Range on arrival home: 92 km. Temp +6°C
Range "gained": 6 km

Round trip:
Range at departure: 168 km
Range on arrival: 92 km
Range "consumed": 76 km
Actual distance driven: 72.4 km

So the big energy consumed to lift a 3 ton rig 1300 metres up a mountain still outweighs the energy regained coming back down, but not by a huge margin.

I've driven that road a zillion times over 35 years, and it's always involved a lot of gearing down to avoid burning up brakes. Not any more, one pedal driving makes it so easy. You just drive down the mountain at whatever speed you choose. No gear selection, no heavy braking. Gaining back most of the energy used on the climb makes it even better.
Nice! I’ve been calculating the range needed for a Victoria to Mount Washington and back ski trip. I had been worried about the climb up the mountain and over the malahat. If I gave up the big boat/truck/camper I could afford ski passes and spend more time with family in the valley.

Hope the snow was nice!

Off to the ski hill yesterday, an illustration of the effect of big elevation gain/loss.

Start elevation 385 m

7 hours later:

Round trip:

So the big energy consumed to lift a 3 ton rig 1300 metres up a mountain still outweighs the energy regained coming back down, but not by a huge margin.

I've driven that road a zillion times over 35 years, and it's always involved a lot of gearing down to avoid burning up brakes. Not any more, one pedal driving makes it so easy. You just drive down the mountain at whatever speed you choose. No gear selection, no heavy braking. Gaining back most of the energy used on the climb makes it even better.
mmm, yes, range, etc.... BUT HOW WAS THE SKIING???

I'm on tenderhooks: the local mountains on the coast have been a total washout this season, so I'm really looking forward to some time up at Apex around Family Day, and heading up there again for a week over spring break. Looks like a bit of a low snow year for Apex (but only in the context of a few amazing years in a row), but vastly better than the situation on the coast.

In all seriousness though, that's fairly amazing energy recovery on the regen brakes - meaning that all things being equal the ascent/descent only cost a 5% penalty in terms of efficiency.

Last edited:
might wanna read this:

As a finance/MBA guy myself I found it very informative and the sort of stuff that business schools should be including in their curriculum.

yeah no doubt, my statment is my personal dealings of trying to get products approved by local municipality's and the provincial government for use in government tenders.

mmm, yes, range, etc.... BUT HOW WAS THE SKIING???

I'm on tenderhooks: the local mountains on the coast have been a total washout this season, so I'm really looking forward to some time up at Apex around Family Day, and heading up there again for a week over spring break. Looks like a bit of a low snow year for Apex (but only in the context of a few amazing years in a row), but vastly better than the situation on the coast.

In all seriousness though, that's fairly amazing energy recovery on the regen brakes - meaning that all things being equal the ascent/descent only cost a 5% penalty in terms of efficiency.
Base is fair at the moment but this warm week will cause some stress for sure. Although if anyplace can handle it, Apex can: high elevation and mostly north and east facing. Supposed to cool down by the weekend, which is good as we are hosting a race.

Nice! I’ve been calculating the range needed for a Victoria to Mount Washington and back ski trip. I had been worried about the climb up the mountain and over the malahat. If I gave up the big boat/truck/camper I could afford ski passes and spend more time with family in the valley.

Hope the snow was nice!
The apps I use for trip planning (FordPass and ABRP) both take elevation into account in the planning process. Easy to see by plotting a trip between two locations at different altitudes, then comparing to the return trip. Easy to see difference in projected state of charge for each arrival.

ABRP is great for trying different routes, stops, chargers, etc, as it has so many variables that can be tweaked. Once I have the plan finalized I load it into the Ford navigation system because then it knows exactly what the energy use is, in real time. The dreaded Guess O Meter gets more and more accurate as the drive progresses. By the end of the first hour, you can pretty much bank on arriving at destination with the exact km remaining that the GOM is projecting. Unless you get frisky at a few sets of lights or decide to cruise at 130 kmh, just because.

Also, navigating to a DCFC in the Ford nav will prompt the truck to precondition the battery in the last few km (optimum battery temp for fast charging is ~25°C).

The apps I use for trip planning (FordPass and ABRP) both take elevation into account in the planning process. Easy to see by plotting a trip between two locations at different altitudes, then comparing to the return trip. Easy to see difference in projected state of charge for each arrival.

ABRP is great for trying different routes, stops, chargers, etc, as it has so many variables that can be tweaked. Once I have the plan finalized I load it into the Ford navigation system because then it knows exactly what the energy use is, in real time. The dreaded Guess O Meter gets more and more accurate as the drive progresses. By the end of the first hour, you can pretty much bank on arriving at destination with the exact km remaining that the GOM is projecting. Unless you get frisky at a few sets of lights or decide to cruise at 130 kmh, just because.

Also, navigating to a DCFC in the Ford nav will prompt the truck to precondition the battery in the last few km (optimum battery temp for fast charging is ~25°C).
An obvious learning curve for first time EV Owners it seems. Gone are the days of jump in and go!

An obvious learning curve for first time EV Owners it seems. Gone are the days of jump in and go!
I tried jump in and go as a teenager in the 5 speed I learned on - nowadays I wouldn’t want to share the road with my past self. I thankfully took lessons how to drive an internal combustion vehicle and even passed a couple tests to get licensed. My point is, ICE cars have been an integral part of society, if not culture for the last 100 ish years. It’s no wonder that they are well understood by most. The days of jump in an go aren’t gone, just temporarily taking a back seat to technological progress and adaptation.

90% of my driving is jump in and go. Only for longer out of town trips do I plan charge stops. I would think once I've done the regular ones a few times I'll be able to just go. I was careful with the Sun Peaks trip last week because it was the first time out of town in fairly cold weather. I didn't bother to plan at all for the drive home [would have wasted my time anyway; hwy 97 closed at Monte Lake and I had to divert through Salmon Arm.]

If you think about it, you usually have a plan in place on ICE trips too, it's just that we're mostly old pharts who've done it so many times that we don't think about it any more. You could write it down from memory: fill tank the night before, stop at <brand of gas station> in <location> for gas/washroom/coffee, because it's cheaper there and the pumps are easy to get to with a boat. Stop again at <location> to top off tanks before heading into the toolies for a week of fishing. You long since figured out how far to go between stops based on the capacity of (a) your truck's fuel tank, and (b) your bladder. But it's still planning. Youngsters have less experience, not surprising they're usually the ones thumbing a ride to town with a jerry can.

I have a hefty slice of nerd in my personality, I like figuring out this stuff. Plus - same as in my boat - I don't want to run out of juice out in the middle of woop woop. Same as I visited all the local area fast chargers in the first month I had the truck, even though I didn't need to charge. I just wanted to learn how it all worked when I had time available, set up the app and the payment, etc. Better than in the middle of a long trip with only 30 km range left and things aren't working. I guess I'm a planner.

Start elevation 385 m

7 hours later:

Round trip:

Did anyone notice I "lost" 4 km of range between arriving at Apex and leaving? I'm putting it down to the battery cooling down to ambient temp, and then the GOM calculating the energy it will need to warm it back up to 18-20 C. Evidence: drive power was derated to 85% when I left, but was back up to 92% by the time I got home.

My F350 isn’t jump in and go, still have to plan trips up island towing or not. Small tanks on them!
Especially with the camper on board or towing boat. Or both! Definitely reduces range, and you are clearly aware of it and plan for it.

Then along comes electric, and the claims of reduced range under load - and all that planning! We humans always pick up on the different. But sometimes it's just different, not wrong.

There are lots of similarities to my experience there, although it sounds like they spend a lot more time on freeways and at public chargers than I do. It's absolutely a capable pickup, but long stretches over 100 km/h pull down its range significantly. That aero thing, and not much can be done about it other than moderating speed or accepting more stops. The math whizzes will tell you it's faster overall to drive fast and make frequent short charging stops.

Likewise, I don't use the software to find chargers all that often, but what I've seen so far has been a bit clunky and doesn't always show chargers I know are there. With the advent of access to Tesla Superchargers this year (sometime...), there will be more shakeups in software. The good news is this is a fixable problem, improved via over the air updates. Don't have to suck it up or trade up to a new model. This truck will get better over time.

That Tesla chargers thing is coming, sometime. Another tidbit from Ford CEO.

FB_IMG_1706749045023.jpg

Haven't reported monthly energy costs lately. Getting a picture now of winter energy use.

December.
1197 km driven
490 kWh used
$54
41 kWh/100 km

January
1875 km driven
880 kWh used
$81
47 kWh/100 km

Measurably more energy used in the winter months, although not all of it for driving. I've been plugging in more frequently to take advantage of battery and cabin preconditioning, and using remote start when away from home.

Actual road trip mileage in the cold is better than the overall numbers. I was pleased with the 31 kWh/100 km on the drive to Sun Peaks at -10°C, or 16% range reduction.

Screenshot_20240202_121440_ChargePoint.jpg

Screenshot_20240202_121421_ChargePoint.jpg

Haven't reported monthly energy costs lately. Getting a picture now of winter energy use.

December.
1197 km driven
490 kWh used
$54
41 kWh/100 km

January
1875 km driven
880 kWh used
$81
47 kWh/100 km

Measurably more energy used in the winter months, although not all of it for driving. I've been plugging in more frequently to take advantage of battery and cabin preconditioning, and using remote start when away from home.

Actual road trip mileage in the cold is better than the overall numbers. I was pleased with the 31 kWh/100 km on the drive to Sun Peaks at -10°C, or 16% range reduction.

View attachment 102532

View attachment 102533
Just for the sake of clarity and not to be picky but if you are in BC, which I think you said Kamloops, would your kWh cost be closer to 0.14? The first 675kWh per month is just under .010 per kWh and over that is just over 0.14 per kWh. Not sure what your normal draw is per month without the truck but for me in a house of two I very seldom go under the allowable 675 and not have the step 2 price kick in. Your cost would still be minor compared to what I put in my truck. I'm not great with numbers so I may be wrong.

Last edited:
Just for the sake of clarity and not to be picky but if you are in BC, which I think you said Kamloops, would your kWh cost be closer to 0.14? The first 675kWh per month is just under .010 per kWh and over that is just over 0.14 per kWh. Not sure what your normal draw is per month without the truck but for me in a house of two I very seldom go under the allowable 675 and not have the step 2 price kick in. Your cost would still be minor compared to what I put in my truck. I'm not great with numbers so I may be wrong.

I'm in Penticton, where the City is also the electric utility. Our residential rate is $0.112 for all power used.

I think BC Hydro was pushed by the politicians to go to the 2 step rate which is Bullsh*t. It was at the time when government convinced me to move to a Heat Pump, and of course you can never get to the lower rate when it's operating. (An exception might be if I used my Natural Gas Furnace on moderate days when we need heat.) Next they are going to time of Day rates as well - which they promised they'd never do when they installed "Smart" Meters in 2011.

Supposedly those with the ability to charge their EVs at home overnight will get discounted electricity. Did I read it would be about 6 or 7 cents per KWH?

Proposed tiered rate system is opt-in, not across the board. Peak daytime use is +5 cents on the standard rate, overnight (11 pm - 7 am) is 5 cents below standard rate. Shoulder period 7-11 pm is standard rate. Helps with EV charging but also lowers overnight use of heat pump, clothes dryer, etc. Solar panels would the obvious fix for higher daytime costs, especially in summer when that heat pump becomes an air conditioner.

Most jurisdictions have had peak/off peak rate systems for decades.

Last edited:
Back