Driving an EV pickup

Went to Kelowna and back earlier this week, temps in the 0 to +2 range, no preconditioning. It's a good mix of speeds, 70-100 km. The energy use screen indicates at these temps 18-20% of energy is consumed by climate control and battery temp control. My apologies for forgetting to take a pic both times. Short trips around town are dominated by heating use, needs 30 or more minute trip for everything to settle into proportion.

Other Ford owners suggest a rule of thumb of 1% range loss for every degree C below +20. My observations agree with this so far, but with little call to go out of town so far this cold season, I don't have much data yet.

I should add that it is possible to conserve energy in cool weather by using the heated seats and steering wheel over the climate control, especially when traveling solo. If it gets legitimately cold, then power up the cabin heat at a lower temp setting, say 18 or 19. Around town I use it all, no need to eke out a few extra km out of a charge since more energy is available right there at home.

There is lots of discussion regarding EV inventory levels sitting on dealer's lots, including concerns that the EV market has serous issues with too much unsold inventory

Manufacturers are reducing production numbers for the upcoming year to better match demand, and slowing the introduction of new models

I am back east and took my brother out for a drive today. We drove around and looked at car dealer lots and just as I had been reading there was a lot of new inventory.

When we got back to his house i went to Auto Trader and BC has 293 unsold Ford Lightnings in stock plus 6 pending sales.

More interesting is the fact that there are 586 new Mustang Mach -E's for sale in BC.

Perhaps we will soon see dealers start to seriously discounting EV's

EV are a very viable product, especially when we see the after tax operating costs of sly karma's Lightning.

The automotive industry has always been very cyclical, funny how it can go from two year wait lists to we have to many, in what seems like over night

Less than two years ago, dealer lots had little in them but tumbleweeds, the supply chain mess and rampant consumer demand meant virtually every vehicle was spoken for before it even arrived at the dealership.

Now the factories have ramped up as supply chains normalized, just in time for interest rates and inflation to knock the stuffing out of consumer confidence. A lot of people deferring new vehicle purchase because the money for a monthly truck payment has to go to the higher mortgage payment instead.

A year ago, all the talk on the Lightning Owners FB groups and forums was of predatory dealers adding 5-10K to the MSRP on those first Lightnings to arrive, now there are prospective buyers asking how much discount they should be trying to carve out. Still seems to be lots of new owners joining every day, with all the newbie EV questions (says the "veteran" of 5 months, lol).

Once 2023 new vehicle stats are released in the new year, we can have a look at EV sales in general, and Lightning in particular. Exponential sales growth can't last forever in any market, but linear growth is still happening.

Less than two years ago, dealer lots had little in them but tumbleweeds, the supply chain mess and rampant consumer demand meant virtually every vehicle was spoken for before it even arrived at the dealership.

Now the factories have ramped up as supply chains normalized, just in time for interest rates and inflation to knock the stuffing out of consumer confidence. A lot of people deferring new vehicle purchase because the money for a monthly truck payment has to go to the higher mortgage payment instead.

A year ago, all the talk on the Lightning Owners FB groups and forums was of predatory dealers adding 5-10K to the MSRP on those first Lightnings to arrive, now there are prospective buyers asking how much discount they should be trying to carve out. Still seems to be lots of new owners joining every day, with all the newbie EV questions (says the "veteran" of 5 months, lol).

Once 2023 new vehicle stats are released in the new year, we can have a look at EV sales in general, and Lightning in particular. Exponential sales growth can't last forever in any market, but linear growth is still happening.
Thinking about an owners FB group makes me cringe. That place is the worst.

Why? People with a common interest discussing the pros and cons of their mutual interest. Sounds quite a bit like any online forum. Or is it just because of the FB affiliation you think it's the worst?

There's a huge array of posts on the FB groups, although a lot of them are repetitive as new owners try to figure out their first EV, rare to see a sustained discussion thread. But by FB standards, there's very little trolling and ugliness.

For more sustained discussions and more informed info, IMO the forum format is generally better than social media. This forum is a good example, runs rings around anything I've found on FB. Sort of like the difference between long form journalism and clickbait social media articles. Attention span makes the difference.

Why? People with a common interest discussing the pros and cons of their mutual interest. Sounds quite a bit like any online forum. Or is it just because of the FB affiliation you think it's the worst?
It's the Facebook factor. Clearly I enjoy this forum. I find the comment layout and lack of searchable posts to be less informative and more like any other social media platform. Top comments get pushed to the top, and those could just be two people arguing about how THEY would do it. Lots of negativity. And worst of all, moderators acting like God's and pushing their own idea's for a teeny tiny profit or some lame level of notoriety. Just one man's opinion of course.

It's the Facebook factor. Clearly I enjoy this forum. I find the comment layout and lack of searchable posts to be less informative and more like any other social media platform. Top comments get pushed to the top, and those could just be two people arguing about how THEY would do it. Lots of negativity. And worst of all, moderators acting like God's and pushing their own idea's for a teeny tiny profit or some lame level of notoriety. Just one man's opinion of course.
Agreed. There are do-gooder trolls on everyone of those fb groups. My Christmas tree got press-ganged by some guy names Brad Shantz on the "I Love Port Moody" group. Every post he's Shaking his head lol

The Ford app has a great trip planer. It takes into account your range and charging needs. Also when you tow a load, the truck requires you to make a load profile so it can track your usage and effectively estimate range. It also links the trailers to your trip planner.

I just did a route from my home in Delta to Tofino. If I left my home right now with 64% towing my Whaler, I would need to charge in Nanoose Bay for 29min. Would arrive in Tofino with a 23% reserve.

Thats pretty nice if you ask me. View attachment 95363

To say EVs are not sustainable because of one bad battery out of the 20+ million EVs on the road today, is pure fear mongering.

Had this happened on the very first batch of ev cars ever made, I’d be more worried. But with many ev companies in the business now double digit years, this is just poor journalism.
My daughter has a 2019 Model 3 Tesla and when she drove to Kelowna this summer and stopped to charge in Merritt the main battery was f@#$%% and had to be towed back to Surrey and she was without a car for 3 weeks while they replaced the main battery pack. Covered under warranty but....

My daughter has a 2019 Model 3 Tesla and when she drove to Kelowna this summer and stopped to charge in Merritt the main battery was f@#$%% and had to be towed back to Surrey and she was without a car for 3 weeks while they replaced the main battery pack. Covered under warranty but....
Yuk, bad day on the highway. Bound to happen to someone, sorry it happened to your daughter. Doesn't matter what's powering it, when a car or truck screws up on a road trip, it sucks.

Back