Downrigger release clip leader

Da Bay Bye

How long should the release clip leader be? Mine used to be around 18 inches but I just changed it out to a 4 ft leader to try and avoid lifting the boom arm and cannon ball.

I have not gone fishing with it but would like to know if anyone has any issues with the longer leaders.

Don

Same i extended mine so i just reach with the gaff pull it out of the water and enough length just to hang on the gunnel so it holds there by itself ready to be klipped on.
was a pain reaching ,a bit dangerous fishing by yourself if reaching for it .

Ditto. Exactly what I do.

It comes down to ease of access and how comfortable you can make things work for you. A little tinny may only need the shortest lead, where a larger, higher gunwale boat may want six feet.

I tried to shoot you a PM, but you apparently have that feature disabled. I was going to apologize for going at it with you on the plug thread a little while back. You've changed your user name again and I didn't realize it was you. You have always been decent with me in the past, and I felt real bad when I read some old threads and figured out your new user name. My apologies.

Mine is long enough that I can unclip it from the rod mainline by hand and lay it over the inside of the gunnel nice and handy while it is still attached to the downrigger line.

No problems at all.

I made mine up myself out of clips,gagnon and parts.

Last edited:
I have the 18" on both sides of my 1106s, fishing out of a 17'. When I retrieve, I make a point to drape the clip over the boom arm to make it easier to reattach. I don't find the reach too difficult, but I am taller than average.

The long clip leader will effectively raise the distance between the ball & lure/bait - discovered this by fishing Coho in 15ft of water - just some odd occurrence to be aware of.

run 6' with no issues as i tend to keep the booms out most of the time unless a decent big fish is on
make mine up with 250lb mono and crimp to suit
also custom make the stacker clips a bit longer and different as well ....

The long clip leader will effectively raise the distance between the ball & lure/bait - discovered this by fishing Coho in 15ft of water - just some odd occurrence to be aware of.

Yes the longer the leader the more up your line will be from where it is attached to the rigger cable. It will ride up higher than a short leash. The added benefit aside from being able to bring the line & clip in with a gaff is that you can detect small fish on the line far easier with a long leash. Back in the old days they only sold clips with a very short leash. It was really hard to detect shakers with a short leash. I've been making my own leashes for 25 years, way easier to bring in & detect shakers that way.

I use 300lb mono these days for making my leashes, because I've also started using that test to attach to the main spectra just before the rigger ball. 300lb is near indestructible and takes a pounding on bottom when spectra might break off.

Back