Downrigger Braided Line Results

IF YOUR NOT USING THE SCOTTY LINE WHAT KIND THEN? AND WHAT STRENGTH. I WILL BE USING 15 BALLS AND WANT TO MAKE SURE IM NOT ADDING TO THE OCEAN FLOOR ANYMORE THAN I HAVE TO:(:(

;)

I use 200 lb green Tuf line XP. I bought the 150 yard spool and split it between two downriggers - I think it was cheaper than going with the Scoty line. Diameter is 0.028 inches, I think the Scotty Dyneema line may be a hair thicker. I use the new Scotty stops designed for braided line and I find they still move, however, maybe only a few inches each trip. Godd idea to glue them in.

If you catch bottom and need to quickly break off it's a heck of a lot easier to cut with a knife then look for your wire cutters for the cable.

Scotty does have the new stoppers for braid on the market. If your local store does not have them yet, tell them to bring them in as they are readily availabel at the wholesale end. I think the model number is #2008 as the cable stoppers are #1008.

While the dept counter works off of the drum, there probably is less thickness of gathered braided line on the drum but I don't think it impacts much at all. My sounder picks up my downrigger ball at depts that my counter tells me I am at. Mind you I haven't been fishing that deep this summer. Maybe in the winter I may find the deeper depts fished may be off a bit.

I'll add one additional positive to the braided line. When you get it wrapped around the prop, you can cut it off with a sharp knife and there will be no marks left on the OB or prop.
MDT

quote:Originally posted by flytyer

IF YOUR NOT USING THE SCOTTY LINE WHAT KIND THEN? AND WHAT STRENGTH. I WILL BE USING 15 BALLS AND WANT TO MAKE SURE IM NOT ADDING TO THE OCEAN FLOOR ANYMORE THAN I HAVE TO:(:(

;)

I use 200 lb Test Power Pro. I ran 15 lbers all winter and bottom bounced them in the mud each time out. Never lost a ball. I'm on my third season with the same line. Love it!!

bottomfeeder - I use 140 lb Tuff Line Plus in my 12 foot tin boat with manual downriggers. I've had it on for over two years without a single break. I only use 7- 10 lb balls and if the stuff ever wears out, I'm going to try 80 or 100 lb test. That thin line slices thru the water without much drag.

Good to know. I only use 8lb cannon balls so the thinner line would help compensate as the lighter weights drag more than I would like. I have used snubbers in the past and will again to provide a safe breaking point. Now I'm off to buy some braided line!

Good one MDT
Never thought of that benefit and I hope I dont have to see for myself

Back