Downrigger Braided Line Results

flytyer

Well with us all hard into the season, i thought it would be a great time to ask all who have switched over from cable and to see how much gear you have gone through. I have finally reached the point that mayby its time to switch, lost a 15 lb ball, 2 48 inch power grips and a brand new fresh out of the package uv flasher, when my 1 year old cable broke after i let it out about twenty feet and stopped---snap---sorry that was what happened to me. Ok all you guys that get paid all the big bucks to do this every day ( just having fun) i know its alot of work, but you guys will have the best results.

[8D][8D]

Go to braid I have been useing it for two years now, will never go back.

One concern I have about the braided line is that, in my view, it won't release any positive electric charges as the braided line seems to be non-conductive of electricity. Theoretically, that would render the black boxes and even the natural boat generated voltage useless to attract (or repel) any fish. Or not?[?]

quote:Originally posted by El Pescador

One concern I have about the braided line is that, in my view, it won't release any positive electric charges as the braided line seems to be non-conductive of electricity. Theoretically, that would render the black boxes and even the natural boat generated voltage useless to attract (or repel) any fish. Or not?[?]

I've been using braid quite happily since last spring. No problems here.

The electric charges are a double edged sword. Yes, it would be nice to have the attracting effect if you happen to have the voltage dialed in correctly. However, if the voltage is off then you're actually repelling fish. I think I'd rather know that my boat isn't "hot" and at least I'm not repelling fish by using the braid.

I also like the fact that I can just tie knots in it, as opposed to have to deal with crimps.

I will admit that getting downrigger clips not to ride up the line is a hassle.

I switched this year. I was either going to purchase a new black box for my boat or go with braided line, the later won out. I like that I worry less about fraying, not having to crimp the ends to the downrigger snaps, seems thinner, so far have not had to retie whereas I probably by now would have removed a few feet of frayed cable particularly around where I clip my release to.

Even with surgical tubing in the release clips, the clips still move. I now place an extra stop (the ones for braided line) above where I usually clip and this seems to help. Otherwise, was going to attach my release clip to my downrigger ball.

I am happy with the switch and don't miss the black box. Those who swear by their black box probably won't want to switch.

They now have cable stops for braided line. Pacific Bait and Twine.

I got so frustrated with individual strands of wire breaking[V][V] then trying to 'fix' it[V][V] I'm on my second year with the same braid and it is showing no signs of wear. Palomar knots - good - and so are a bunch of other knots. Try that with wire[8D] I'll never go back:D:D

Tom

quote:Originally posted by flytyer

SO what kind did every one buy?

I've got the Scotty stuff. I should mention that I just use the little plastic electric downrigger stops to keep the release clips from riding up the line. Works pretty well.

Good Heavens CS! Why didn't I think of that!! I just wonder if the CA glue might affect the integrity of the braided line[?][?]

Tom

I've had my stoppers crazy glued to my Tuff Line for about 8 months now with no sign of any trouble. Luv my Tuff Line, hooked up on junk strongly enough to turn the boat and have yet to snap a line. No wire strands through the finger this year :)

There are new stoppers specially for the braided line that just came out recently, maybe now we won't have to glue them on :D.

For what I see, thre are lots of comments in favour of the braided line and none against. I wonder how Scotty is now going to try to sell both braided lines and black boxes after telling us for all these years how beneficial the +0.6V in the downrigger lines are to catch salmon. ;)

At the beginning of this year Scotty gave me some newly designed cable braided line stops to try out. They have an extra slit on them that helps in preventing slipping. They work well,if they are on the market by now, buy them.

I am happy with the same braided that I have used for the last couple of years and will not be going back to wire.

Braided line can snap if you stop your cannonballs to fast (experience talking here) especially if you are using the 15lb. balls.

You can still use a transponder to transmit the electrical charge from the Black Box into the water.

i love that braided line doesnt kink when you take the cannonball in and out of the water. i will never go back to cable.

quote:Originally posted by Bravefart

At the beginning of this year Scotty gave me some newly designed cable braided line stops to try out. They have an extra slit on them that helps in preventing slipping. They work well,if they are on the market by now, buy them.

I am happy with the same braided that I have used for the last couple of years and will not be going back to wire.

Braided line can snap if you stop your cannonballs to fast (experience talking here) especially if you are using the 15lb. balls.

Do you use the blue rubber snubbers on the end of your braided line? I've been using them for the last year and they do a great job of absorbing shocks. They are also easy to grab onto. Highly recommended.

I am considering braided line but was concerned that it may be too strong. I am in a 14 foot aluminum boat which dosen't weigh much and was worried that it might be a safety issue if I have a bad hookup and the line doesn't break. Any thoughts?

If you add the rubber snubbers to the braided, they should break before your boat gets into too much trouble. I think they are only about 70lb (test?). I had the same worry in my small boat, but so far so good, however, I've only been snagged once and it came loose before breaking or pulling the gunnel under.

Back