Double Eagle (185) Construction - thoughts

GDW

Considering the DE 185 for my next boat. Wondering about their construction (ie do they still use wood) and if not what model year did that change?

anything in particular to know or watch for regarding these hulls?

how do they compare in size to something like a campion 542?

Considering the DE 185 for my next boat. Wondering about their construction (ie do they still use wood) and if not what model year did that change?

anything in particular to know or watch for regarding these hulls?

how do they compare in size to something like a campion 542?
When I was picking between 542 and 185 a few years ago, I inquired at Sherwood Marine and they told me that DE's were all composite. Not sure what year that changed. I know the 542 has been composite since 05. In terms of size, they are pretty much identical but each made sacrifices. The 542 has a bigger deck, but a smaller cuddy. 542 is a self bailing deck, the DE drains into the bilge. I didn't plan on sleeping on my boat much and really wanted self bailing so went with the 542.

Last edited:
^^^ What he said^^^. Probably the 2 most popular boats around. If looking for "Used" they both have their own problems,like any other boat built.

Are you thinking buying new? I’ve seen a lot more used 542’s come up for sale than 185’s. Probably 10 to 1. Pretty much need one to fall in your lap. Cash in hand and expect to be bent over for something newish. I’d say the 185 has a better hull design & more seaworthy, but I like the layout of the 542 better. Get trim tabs, max HP, 2 pedastals seats. The sleepers really eat up deck space. Consider how many people you usually fish with. 2 is perfect, 3 is fine, 4 is too many. But I don’t really like people, just my 2 cents.

MikePA nailed it.

Back