Don Henley concert

sly_karma

Crew Member
Hey coastal folks, founding Eagle Don Henley is starting his new nth america tour in Penticton next week, Wed July 13. It's his only BC show and oddly there are still tickets available. If you can head inland at short notice, grab tickets here:
http://www.soec.ca/

Although Henley has a great catalog of his solo music that stands on his own, his set list does not include one single Eagles song.

Although Henley has a great catalog of his solo music that stands on his own, his set list does not include one single Eagles song.
I don't think that's correct. I looked up set lists from shows as recent as a week ago (in the UK and Ireland) and he generally plays about 4 Eagles songs on his set - Hotel California, Life In the Fast Lane, Seven Bridges Road. Typically the show closes with Desperado. Of course there's no guarantee that's the list he'll play here this Wed, but it's probably a reasonable indication. I'm still amazed Penticton got the only BC date.

I'm still amazed Penticton got the only BC date.
I read something interesting about this kind of venue change a while back it turns out a lot of older rock & pop artists want to reach out to fans they know have supported them over the decades and it's not just about the money, they've been to Vancouver or where ever many times and now they're playing for people who appreciate the band coming to them.

Well we've certainly got a lot of retired boomers here! Also I know the SOEC is favoured by touring bands because of its excellent truck load/unload facilities, they can drive a B train almost to the edge of the ice surface plus be unloading a second truck from a regular loading dock. Apparently it's a better setup in this regard than Prospera Place in Kelowna and subsequently books a lot more music acts despite being in a smaller centre. I'm sure a lot of Kelowna people will make the drive to see one of the best songwriter/vocalists of his generation.

Well if you get those songs, it will be worth it. He was an amazing lyricist. Have you watched the Eagles documentary on Netflix?

You mean History of the Eagles? Good on the whole, although it probably should have been titled History of the Eagles According To Frey And Henley. They laid a lot of stuff at Don Felder's feet.

Outstanding show. Mr Henley still has the goods, vocally and musically. Show was 2hr20 without intermission, and was a showcase of musical styles: old style country, country rock, jazz fusion, funk, and of course Eagles style rock. Precision and perfection were more the order of the day than lights, fireworks, costumes, dancers. Every member of the sixteen piece band was a master of their instrument/s. Henley mentioned that one of the guitarists was also Musical Director for the tour. That made sense - a structured approach with focus on precision. It showed, the band was very tight despite it size.

They ended up playing six Eagles tunes:
Seven Bridges Road (show opener)
One of These Nights
Life in the Fast Lane
The Last Resort
Hotel California (encore)
Desperado (second encore)

I was amazed to hear the Last Resort played live. It's probably my favourite song on Hotel California but hasn't been performed live in almost 40 years. The band used its strings and horns to full effect on this one and Henley's raspy vocals did full justice to the contemplative yet cynical lyrics. He still has the range too, impressive for a man of 68 years.

Another thing I liked was the no cell phone policy. They had signage and verbal note when I picked up tickets the day before, all reinforced on concert night. Henley himself made a point of it at the beginning of the show. Such a pleasure to not have screens glowing bright in your sightline during the show. He did say everyone could get them out when they played "that song" but please refrain otherwise and enjoy the improved experience. Sure enough, Hotel California came on and out came the phones, he even encouraged it. But they went away again - voluntarily - after that. It's a movement I'd love to see take root.

Back