Dog house insulation

I've got an old Hourston inboard and the dog house cover weighs a ton. I'm wanting to take the donna-conna out and replace it with something lighter. Being so close to the engine is a concern.

Any suggestions or experience?

Thanks in Advance
2MD

quote:Originally posted by 2muchdraft

I've got an old Hourston inboard and the dog house cover weighs a ton. I'm wanting to take the donna-conna out and replace it with something lighter. Being so close to the engine is a concern.

Any suggestions or experience?

Thanks in Advance
2MD

Many years ago, my dad had a 6 meter Reinell with a 165 Mercruiser in it. To cut down the noise level, I glued in some 4" and 2" green foam rubber, (the kind used for mattresses). Cut down the high frequency noise quite a bit. The only thing I noticed was that I could now hear the low frequency bottom end noise. Over-all, it worked well. I would do it again.

Another thought - I bought some sound dampener material from Lordco. It is a 12" x 12" square of soft rubber-like compound that has glue on one side. Peel and stick. Easy to cut, and you can heat and form it over a rough surface if needed. I have my computer box lined with it to cut down on fan noise. Over top of that, I have an accoustical foam rubber.

I have thought of using this in my boat, but it is heavy. It works by adding mass to whatever is vibrating and causing noise to cut the sound level.

Back