Dodged a deep freeze disaster

N2013

So I had my deep freezer spend a couple days on the fritz. It's a 20cu' upright, 4 years old, but it does have an acutemp thermometer/alarm from Amazon. So one evening I notice the temp is up around, -12c (normally run it around -18 to -23c). Leave it till the am and I'm down into single digits. F. Start working on plan B. Call a couple buddies and not a lot of space. It's a fairly full freezer with 2/3 being fish from the recent months so I start looking at new freezers, yikes $$$. Decide to call Coldstar here on the south island, and sure enough, they do cold storage at -20c. Load everything up in my coolers and right to the warehouse. Gonna end up costing me around $70 (monthly rate is the minimum). Freezer just needed a new switch but was able to remove a bunch of iced up areas. Worth it considering all the seafood in there. So something to think about it should this happen to you.

I lost a 21 cubic footer full of recently slaughtered beef a few years ago. Went to get some beef for a customer and it was warm. It was a sad feeling to bury all that meat. I'm glad you caught yours in time.

So I had my deep freezer spend a couple days on the fritz. It's a 20cu' upright, 4 years old, but it does have an acutemp thermometer/alarm from Amazon. So one evening I notice the temp is up around, -12c (normally run it around -18 to -23c). Leave it till the am and I'm down into single digits. F. Start working on plan B. Call a couple buddies and not a lot of space. It's a fairly full freezer with 2/3 being fish from the recent months so I start looking at new freezers, yikes $$$. Decide to call Coldstar here on the south island, and sure enough, they do cold storage at -20c. Load everything up in my coolers and right to the warehouse. Gonna end up costing me around $70 (monthly rate is the minimum). Freezer just needed a new switch but was able to remove a bunch of iced up areas. Worth it considering all the seafood in there. So something to think about it should this happen to you.
Bought a freezer alarm. Don't want to loose all my freezer stuff to an all to frequent failure.
I am hoping I can use one sensor for the fish and bait freezer and the other for for our family freezer beside it. One is a very old chest freezer, the other a fairly new upright.
this is what I ordered
AcuRite Digital Wireless Fridge and Freezer Thermometer with Alarm and Max/Min Temperature for Home and Restaurants (00515M) : Amazon.ca: Home
Thanks for bringing the subject to top of mind!!

Back