do you pay duty on canadian made things ?

im going down to mexico from alberta next week to pick up a boat. found a sweet deal on scotty downriggers in washington that im going to buy. also going to pick up a rod/reel combo and some other tackle. i will be over my 750 dollars duty free with the downriggers. if the downriggers are canadian made do you have to pay the duty penalty? or should i get some salt and dirt on them and install them on the boat and keep my mouth shut?

I'd throw them in the boat, alot of boat "packages" come with all the gear
I also wonder what if any issues you will have entering back into the USA from mexico with that boat???
Tim

You wont pay duty on Canadian made things imported from the USA into Canada BUT you will pay HST. I assume you are bringing it into BC?

I have no idea about from the Mexico to the USA and then into Canada.

im bringing the boat back to alberta so it will be just the gst on the boat and trailer. the boat is registered in the states and owned by an american so the mexico thing shouldnt matter.

None of my business but if it were me I would have the current owner bring it back into the US, might be a little easier for you.
boarder gaurds are always waaaaayyyy to suspicious, a Canadian bringing a US boat across from Mexico
I dunno maybe its just me...............

None of my business but if it were me I would have the current owner bring it back into the US, might be a little easier for you.
boarder gaurds are always waaaaayyyy to suspicious, a Canadian bringing a US boat across from Mexico
I dunno maybe its just me...............

X2 on the border guards.

There was a long thread in the fall regarding bringing across the boarder. If I can remember correctly, providing the boarder with a copy of the trailer registration and maybe boat a week or so in advance means you will not have wait a few days while they check to see if they had been reported stolen.

Just hope you don't get the female U.S. Customs lady I got at the Tecate border crossing. Obnoxious would have been too nice a word for her. Her line was moving at a 1/10 of other lines and everyone had a full press search of their vehicle. I would be very wary of bringing stuff from Mexico back into the States-that's why all the Canadians and Yankees who live their sell it on to other gringoes who live there-they don't want to repatriate it!!

If I can remember correctly, providing the boarder with a copy of the trailer registration and maybe boat a week or so in advance means you will not have wait a few days while they check to see if they had been reported stolen.

That is not necessary. Call RIV and give them the VIN and they will tell you if the trailer is admissable into Canada.

I called and because the trailed is over 15 years old you don't pay duty. The vin checked out so it should be good. The thing that I'm worried about is not having an Alberta plate on it. I can get an in transit sticker but not until I'm back in Alberta. I told the guy I bought it off that I want his plate left on. I might throw my Alberta plate on once I cross into Alberta and an get the trailer inspected and registered. I'm going to stop a T both the American and Canadian boarder offices when I cross into the states to give them my info and see what other hoops I have to hop through

Ya that site helped me decide to buy the boat. Once I looked into things for an older boat and trailer the only thing I had to do was make sure it had a clean title. I only pay gst on boat and trailer. What I'm not sure about is transporting. You can't get a plate until its inspected in Canada and you can only get an in transport sticker for in Canada. Anyone know if its a big deal to pull it wit the old owners plate on? Should I slap my old boAt trailer plate on? Do you get an in transport sticker in the states?

I don't think you can put your old trailer plates on the trailer, but I would check with the licensing authourity in Alberta to advise you what you need to do to tow it from the border to your place. You should be able to get some type of permit.

When I purchased my boat and trailer in the US, the trailer had current license plates on it and the previous owner agreed to leave the plates on the trailer until I got back to BC. (I then sent them back to him.) I had to pull the boat through 3 US states and they all have different requirements if there are no plates on the trailer, so this made it a lot simpler. I also purchased what is called "Binder Insurance"(in BC) which gave me insurance coverage while I was towing the boat back to Canada and allowed me to tow it from the border to my house. Once I had it at my house, I got a one day operating permit to have the trailer inspected by Canadian Tire and then had it licensed by ICBC.

Back