DIY Prawn Trap

cdnturbo

I have made a couple of square mesh traps using plastic coated mesh from aqua-pacific and they turned out great . I'm now making the bucket style traps using plastic buckets . For the entrance to the traps is there any reason why you need plastic coated mesh? I was thinking about using galvanized mesh available at hardware stores
Durability is the only thing I can think of

Places used to sell them 15 years ago.... Bet there's not many left. They were made with black buckets.

Good luck with your project

Popeyes in N.Van sold them for a long time. They were cheap and they worked. The only thing I did to change them was I added more holes and a weight to get them down and hold them there. The extra holes also made it easier to pull them up as the water would flow thru them.

We built our own with laundry baskets.

Got any pictures of the laundry basket traps?

i made a bunch still have ten or so left the reason for the mesh is that it collapses so they fit inside of each other, and the rubber that holds the mesh together also hold the traps together. I put weights in them ( one pound per bucket ), I used white and black both worked well

My stack of 4 stainless round colapsible work, and were $40. How many traps are you building/need. Sounds like some work, traps are relatively cheap on used or craigslist?? How are you bending the stainless rod? Is it worth the effort?

HM

best part about the bucket traps is the prawns stay in as it seems safe to them, and the mesh on commercial traps stretches and the mesh gets too loose.

although ya get alot of smallies..

Back