Discovery Bay Pot Hauler

https://sunshine.craigslist.org/bpo/d/north-island-gas-power-pot-puller/7111415179.html

00O0O_3tNTsxZ7vEy_1200x900.jpg

Hi CD. Yes, Ive used one for 5 years. I've tried the Scotty and the the Ace, but found them to still be an issue with a fast going current. I figured if the US Navy uses it, it's gotta be good. Never had an issue with this, never blown a fuse. Advantage is also being able to grab traps at waist level and not having to bend down to the water to grab them. Love it and would do it all over again.

I live on a hillside. Every spring, my wife wants her very heavy flower and berry pots (80-100#) brought up from their winter homes on a lower level to the sunny deck by the house. This usually involves the help of one of my sons but with the covid lock down....I was on my own. I soon found there was no way, pushing or pulling the heavy pots on a furniture dolly was going to work. I'm retired, no fishing and lots of time on my hands......Took a line from my Discovery Bay Line Hauler, on my boat, on the upper level, through a block, hung off the back of the Dodge receiver, then down 120' to the base of the dolly. With my wife operating the Line Hauler (voice activated)....I just walked behind the dolly.....Too many years logging...............

I live on a hillside. Every spring, my wife wants her very heavy flower and berry pots (80-100#) brought up from their winter homes on a lower level to the sunny deck by the house. This usually involves the help of one of my sons but with the covid lock down....I was on my own. I soon found there was no way, pushing or pulling the heavy pots on a furniture dolly was going to work. I'm retired, no fishing and lots of time on my hands......Took a line from my Discovery Bay Line Hauler, on my boat, on the upper level, through a block, hung off the back of the Dodge receiver, then down 120' to the base of the dolly. With my wife operating the Line Hauler (voice activated)....I just walked behind the dolly.....Too many years logging...............
I like it!

Red neck engineering. My kinda guy!

I am a dealer for this product as well as several others. The reason I am is because we tried out different products to see which one was the best overall. I have one on my boat and never took it off. Before we started selling them we beat the crap out of it first. This is the most well designed economical electric puller we have found that will not flip a sport boat. I would not recommend using this puller on smaller boats. Hands free operation, fast line pull, and well built. Made in bellingham. The owner/builder of this product does a really nice job. Best electric puller on the market hands down. unless you want to get into commercial fishing. Thats another topic. cheers

Creative and got the job done. Right on.

I am a dealer for this product as well as several others. The reason I am is because we tried out different products to see which one was the best overall. I have one on my boat and never took it off. Before we started selling them we beat the crap out of it first. This is the most well designed economical electric puller we have found that will not flip a sport boat. I would not recommend using this puller on smaller boats. Hands free operation, fast line pull, and well built. Made in bellingham. The owner/builder of this product does a really nice job. Best electric puller on the market hands down. unless you want to get into commercial fishing. Thats another topic. cheers
Are you in Canada?

If you do get a Discovery Bay Pot Puller....the puller has no problem with heavy weights, so I weight my traps with 10-15#....When the first trap gets to the boat, the knot won't go into the sheave so you have to pop the line out of the neoprene sheave.....and now I have 2 loaded traps to deal with. The second trap is 50' down and difficult to reload onto the pully ...I would just hand bomb it. To remedy this I 'Becket' spliced in a 2'-0' tether (thin Poly-steel) into the line so when the first trap gets to the sheave, I just lift the trap enough to swing the tether over the pully. When you go ahead on the line, you can deal with the first trap while the next one hangs off the pully.....It never slips.
Usually I don't like to prawn when the commercial guys are out. Last year I was out for a trip 2 weeks before commercial opening and a FN commercial laid his line over my traps. It was late in the day and I didn't want to lose my traps. The breaker tripped twice, but the Power Hauler pulled up the whole commercial line. Just slipped it off my trap....Happy.

If you do get a Discovery Bay Pot Puller....the puller has no problem with heavy weights, so I weight my traps with 10-15#....When the first trap gets to the boat, the knot won't go into the sheave so you have to pop the line out of the neoprene sheave.....and now I have 2 loaded traps to deal with. The second trap is 50' down and difficult to reload onto the pully ...I would just hand bomb it. To remedy this I 'Becket' spliced in a 2'-0' tether (thin Poly-steel) into the line so when the first trap gets to the sheave, I just lift the trap enough to swing the tether over the pully. When you go ahead on the line, you can deal with the first trap while the next one hangs off the pully.....It never slips.
Usually I don't like to prawn when the commercial guys are out. Last year I was out for a trip 2 weeks before commercial opening and a FN commercial laid his line over my traps. It was late in the day and I didn't want to lose my traps. The breaker tripped twice, but the Power Hauler pulled up the whole commercial line. Just slipped it off my trap....Happy.
Thank you that's great feedback.

The discovery bay hauler is hand down the best hauler for 2 grand and under category. Ready to go out of the box. Bolt up and go. Seen this thing snap a schedule 80 pipe. Twice. Hands free.

Yes electradyne is another level. Twice the money once your done. Also will tip a sport boat. If the arm is unbreakable. That system was intended for electric commercial purpose.

My advise with the discovery bay, if your going to use it like a sailor and pick heavy gear no matter the tide, weld gussets onto the upper mount and throw the pin overboard

Last edited:
The discovery bay hauler is hand down the best hauler for 2 grand and under category. Ready to go out of the box. Bolt up and go. Seen this thing snap a schedule 80 pipe. Twice. Hands free.

Yes electradyne is another level. Twice the money once your done. Also will tip a sport boat. If the arm is unbreakable. That system was intended for electric commercial purpose.

My advise with the discovery bay, if your going to use it like a sailor and pick heavy gear no matter the tide, weld gussets onto the upper mount and throw the pin overboard
Use it like a sailor?
I'm really trying to stop using sexual innuendo, but it's hard, so hard.

Take one of these and call me In the morning. Don't forget the ice or the aerator

Attachments

• 20211112_171632.jpg
    20211112_171632.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 124
Also a very happy customer of the Discovery Bay. Sold it with the last boat, so.... got to buy another once I am sure where to mount. This last summer, I had a pot caught in some abandoned fish farm in my area (former Cypress Island farm) that was marked on charts, but I didn't look carefully enough and set a few pots there, and when come time to retrieve and a pot was stuck to bottom and the Discovery Bay pulled the port side of my 24' Seasport out the water. After recognizing the pickle i was in, I packed off, secured line to cleat and pulled until line broke. Anyway, very, very stout product. good luck. DAJ

Attachments

• PXL_20210925_005323162.jpg
    PXL_20210925_005323162.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 149
  • PXL_20210925_005248097.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210925_005248097.MP.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 146
Back