Digital Camera-Too Complicated!

Dogbreath

Bought a Pentax Optio 20 because it's supposed to be water resistant, of course it also says it's dust resistant HTH is it going to get dusty near the water, but I digress.

Anyway the manual for this thing is 200 pages long!

To date I've managed to figure out how to put it on automatic focus and I think that's where it'll stay because I don't have pets or kids to take pictures of.

Looking forward to going digital but not interested in going to school for 6 weeks to learn how to use this tiny thing.:D

Hey, I know what you mean.
Just got a new cell phone.
300 pages of instructions.
All I want to know is how to answer the thing.

Most of those cameras have a general "auto" option on the dial to set it at and forget it. Those bells and whistles they come with are to out do their compettors. I have a Pro digital and it has probally 1/2 of option gimics that these point and shoots have. The 2 that your really looking for is a general "auto exposure" which in most case do all of the lighting work for you and to make sure the "auto focus" is on, besides those there isn't alot more involed in taking a qulity picture.

Dogbreath........I feel your pain.

I got a new Canon about a year ago...and I take the manual with me when I have my camera out. Generally I take the most pics on 'auto' but have figured out a few manual functions, but it is painful.

Hang in there and don't use it as a flasher on your line quite yet! :D

Don't forget that since it is digital you can take a billion shots and delete the ones that are awful later on.
And use the thing a lot. Experiment if you won't read all the manual. Digital cameras are awesome but with time, you will truly appreciate it's worth.

I'll keep workin' on it-off to the South Pacific tomorrow so there'll be lots to shoot at-and a few Tuna to catch.[8D]

thats the key to good photography - FORCE.

I read once that if you shoot a full roll of film and get on good picture then consider yourself lucky, that was before digitals.

I personally am happy if 1 in every 100 pictures turns into something worth framing.

If you want good pics, read the manual it will make a huge difference.

quote:Originally posted by Dogbreath

I'll keep workin' on it-off to the South Pacific tomorrow so there'll be lots to shoot at-and a few Tuna to catch.[8D]

Well you have a LONG flight ahead of you to peruse the manual and take pictures of your fellow passengers.

Have a great trip!

My wife gave a Pentax Optio WPI just over a year ago and your'e correct, it is intimidating. However, it takes great pictures, both stills and video. My advice is to take it slow, practicing with one feature a week and eventually it will all come together. I use mostly the Green (idiot) mode and the Landscape mode. Also, you may want to move up to a 1 gig memory card for storing lots of pictures or videos until you can download them onto your computer. Because of it's light weight, you have to hold the camera very still or use a brace or tripod. But the picture quality is fantastic. Finally, if you google the camera model name, you can find some discussion groups where you can get helpful hints and questions answered.

As porcupine said.....definitely get a bigger memory card. All in all they are pretty darn cheap these days.

Back