Dicks last resort info

Orion

Anyone have any info on dicks last resort in winter harbour. I'm thinking about taking a trip up that way this summer. Anyone have any info on places to fish, gear that has worked in the past, stuff like that. I'd like to go after Hali and salmon.

Thanks guys

Ok, let's go about this a different way. Does anyone have anywhere else that they would suggest up that way?

Yeah kelly.... I thought he was talking about this place....

3264678391_d5ed660fde_o.jpg

But he's not so I have no info...

Since I don't I will give you this And not trying to be an azz
http://bit.ly/xXFc0g

S
omeone will have some better info

Last edited by a moderator:
X2 on Dick’s. I have stayed there, no complaints - at all. Great host! :)

Dick’s B&B is a short boardwalk from the government wharf, which is where I tied. You will find there is a lot less boat wake, if you tie on the inside of the wharf. Dick does have a large freezer available for guests. Gas and reserved paid moorage is available on south side of the pier. Small store is located at the end of the pier. A RV campground is directly across the road. Most don’t know, but there is a tide restrictive boat launch.
Dick’s Last Resort

Other possibilities to stay include:
Cape Scott – Winter Harbour Cottages
The Outpost
Windcatcher Lodge

The best fishing really depends on time of year. If there isn’t a lot of boats at Kains Island, I probably just keep going offshore about five miles until you find the fish. Salmon can be anywhere from Grant Bay down to Brooks Bay. If you venture out past Lawn Point, the “buddy system” along with a current weather update would be a good idea. It can get a little nasty out there, fairly quick and almost every afternoon. Do NOT just head out to the 300-foot contour line and spend all day trolling in one area. If they aren't there, they aren't there and don't waste you time waiting for a fish to swim by - MOVE, and find the fish! Chinook can be anywhere from the 300-foot contour line all the way in to the shoreline depending on just which run and what fish are passing. Look for all the usual signs; birds, tide lines, bait balls, and even boiling bait. Fish VERY EARLY!!!!! Remember, except for a small run that migrates into the sound, these are ALL transit fish and they are moving. You can find fish anywhere from the surface down to 200 feet in that area. That is one area even though I prefer (and am an anchovy guy) you want bring those spoons and plugs. You may need to switch from bait to plugs, just to get through the Coho and especially if it also happens to be a Pink year.

Halibut towards Lawn Point, depending on time and fishing pressure. It will probably be better at Grant Bay and Brooks Bay being the best. If running down to Brooks in a small boat, plan on doing that early and returning before those afternoon winds. That can get rough! Off course, if you have a “bigger,” “good,” “solid” boat and comfortable offshore, you can make the run to either Triangle or Cox Island areas for halibut. I really would NOT recommend that run with anything less than 24 foot!

Hope this helps... and enjoy your trip – nice area!

we stayed in tents at thecampground last year -major bear problem would have been nice to be in a cabin !!ive also stayed at the outpost its nice -last year i talked to the qaulicum river guys and they were renting out rooms too which i dont think they normally do and they are nice also and they make salt ice too - dicks last resort cabins and b/b looks good heard lots of good feedback ive been up there about 10 times and last year was the second time it was FLAT calm !! for a couple of days and the fishing was awsome at grants and skirting the closed area north of that -- also the store has awsome fishing tackle !!beer wine ect and basic groceries AND the fuel was the same or cheaper than bamfield!!

As usual Charlies advice on WH is sound-there are fish on the inside if you get stuck for weather especially as you get close to August-fun area but be aware and careful!! There are 4 or 5 areas that are very suitable for anchoring overnight if you are so equiped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back