Dial up computer help

quote:Originally posted by Cuba Libre

Going to go with the advice from Mason.jar and go with Hughes Satellite. It wont cost any more to operate as I can get rid of the extra Telus phone line I have for the pute.... Screw telus

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Just a thought here? If you have telephone cell service - contact your cell provider for access over your cell. You could only have to pay for an additional line and their surcharge? I use my cell as a modem at different times!

If you can run a blackberry, you should be able to run a cpu?

Thanks Charlie-- Telus had been doing signal strength tests for cel internet, but it came up marginal-- so back to the drawing board.. ( it would cost an arm and a leg too..

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

RH, the lag time that you are speaking of is actually the opposite. Download speeds are excellent and very fast, where the lag time will effect some users is on the upload when using some older satellite systems. Many of the earlier units used cellular for their up link. As such cellular up links can be much slower than regular dial up. However for the regular user that surfs, downloads, send and receives email and not too many big files, then it is perfect. The new systems are extremely better and way faster, as technology gets better so do the speeds. To get the best of the best, just like racing, speed costs money.

We are testing a new system in our work trucks right now that will keep us connected 24/7 while we are mobile and we will be able send and receive moving and any where we go. For certain applications and circumstance satellite is some time the best solution. If the ones in our work trucks do what they say they will, then I am considering that as my next choice. BIG $$$$ though! Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

Back