Dial up computer help

Cuba Libre

recently I began having more and more disconnects with our ISP Uniserve.com. They blamed the line quality so Telus had a tech spent almost 2 days tracing the line quality, routing etc-- even replaced the feed line between the box where the line meets the house and the computer jack. It came up clean-- Telus says it is most probably the IPS ..so back to Uniserve... now if I could get high-speed I would tell them to shove it-- as Uniserve has not been helpful. ut I cant--

So has anyone had experience with Telus Dial-up or AOL? It seems its either that or satellite service... Any suggestions???

Thanks

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

I don't have a phone, so dial up is not an option. I use cable at home and satellite at work. Both do the job flawlessly. I could not even imagine using dial up connections, as they are so out dated and slow. Great if all you want to view is text and a few degraded images and send an email or two, but in todays day and age you are missing a lot by using slow data connections. Mason

I don't have a phone, so dial up is not an option. I use cable at home and satellite at work. Both do the job flawlessly. I could not even imagine using dial up connections, as they are so out dated and slow. Great if all you want to view is text and a few degraded images and send an email or two, but in todays day and age you are missing a lot by using slow data connections. Mason

I know Mason.jar!! I know!!! But neither Shaw or Telus will provide broad band in this area!-- no cable.. so the choice is either a new ISP or giving up a couple of fishing trips to go with a satellite system ( our TV is Bell sat, but they dont provide internet sat service in BC like they do in the Center of the Universe..[V]

So back to the question... anyone got experiance with Telus as a dial-up ISP? AOL?

Thanks
( I am sure you can sense the frustration in this post....)

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

I know Mason.jar!! I know!!! But neither Shaw or Telus will provide broad band in this area!-- no cable.. so the choice is either a new ISP or giving up a couple of fishing trips to go with a satellite system ( our TV is Bell sat, but they dont provide internet sat service in BC like they do in the Center of the Universe..[V]

So back to the question... anyone got experiance with Telus as a dial-up ISP? AOL?

Thanks
( I am sure you can sense the frustration in this post....)

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Thank you-- I will follow that up.. anything is better than irratic disconnects all the time

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Thank you-- I will follow that up.. anything is better than irratic disconnects all the time

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

CL. This may seem to be a stupid question...or I just am not getting it right...but...
If you are currently using Telus and your ISP is Uniserve, then are you not already using a dial up connection?

Or are you like me, and use CATV as your cable supplier and Uniserve as your ISP which is piggybacked onto the cable line.

If you are using the first option and cannot get DSL from telus, I would think that using Telus as your ISP would be an option and would make no difference to your speed.

boc

CL. This may seem to be a stupid question...or I just am not getting it right...but...
If you are currently using Telus and your ISP is Uniserve, then are you not already using a dial up connection?

Or are you like me, and use CATV as your cable supplier and Uniserve as your ISP which is piggybacked onto the cable line.

If you are using the first option and cannot get DSL from telus, I would think that using Telus as your ISP would be an option and would make no difference to your speed.

boc

No cable of any type in Dove Creek. Telus supplies the telephone line that Uniserve uses for dial-up... but Telus also acts as an ISP if I sign up with them, so I am trying to figure if its worth it to dump Uniserve as the ISP and sign up with Telus as the ISP( who already have the phone line.

The reason for dumping Uniserve is that thier service has become erratic and I am getting frequent disconnects for no reason.

But the satellite option might be a MUCH better way to go... I have to do more homework first.

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

No cable of any type in Dove Creek. Telus supplies the telephone line that Uniserve uses for dial-up... but Telus also acts as an ISP if I sign up with them, so I am trying to figure if its worth it to dump Uniserve as the ISP and sign up with Telus as the ISP( who already have the phone line.

The reason for dumping Uniserve is that thier service has become erratic and I am getting frequent disconnects for no reason.

But the satellite option might be a MUCH better way to go... I have to do more homework first.

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Move from that great place in country to the rush of town, then you can have your high speed:D[:p]

I have always wondered about Telus and others when it comes to things such as this

In the Fort, Telus had the high speed run right past our place, but would not hook it up as it was "only" for the town. We lived 5 minutes from town, go figure[?] Same as 911, it was not available in the Fort.

Bryan, one other thing to check out is to see if there is any wireless out there. Some companies piggy back off towers in the area, including those on the mt., and broadcast wireless internet. A couple of phone calls to some computer stores in the valley should be able to tell you.

OR you could just move back to the rush..........

Cheers

SS

who is on Telus and getting ripped off....as far as I am concerned.:D[:0]:(

Fishing001.jpg

Move from that great place in country to the rush of town, then you can have your high speed:D[:p]

I have always wondered about Telus and others when it comes to things such as this

In the Fort, Telus had the high speed run right past our place, but would not hook it up as it was "only" for the town. We lived 5 minutes from town, go figure[?] Same as 911, it was not available in the Fort.

Bryan, one other thing to check out is to see if there is any wireless out there. Some companies piggy back off towers in the area, including those on the mt., and broadcast wireless internet. A couple of phone calls to some computer stores in the valley should be able to tell you.

OR you could just move back to the rush..........

Cheers

SS

who is on Telus and getting ripped off....as far as I am concerned.:D[:0]:(

Fishing001.jpg

Hey SS, I had a similar situation with Telus when I lived in Alberta... we were 1/4 mile out of the City of Edmonton limits and they wanted $400 to hook up a second line, the same as if you were 800 miles away! I told them to screw off and went with another provider. The lines were all in place and all they had to do was hook them up. When I called them and moved up the line in Management, it only got worse....... I hope a lot of people read this thread! SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Hey SS, I had a similar situation with Telus when I lived in Alberta... we were 1/4 mile out of the City of Edmonton limits and they wanted $400 to hook up a second line, the same as if you were 800 miles away! I told them to screw off and went with another provider. The lines were all in place and all they had to do was hook them up. When I called them and moved up the line in Management, it only got worse....... I hope a lot of people read this thread! SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Going to go with the advice from Mason.jar and go with Hughes Satellite. It wont cost any more to operate as I can get rid of the extra Telus phone line I have for the pute.... Screw telus

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Back